2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

The Jets white-over-black uniform isn't bad, in fact I really like it. 

It's just annoying that a white top and alternate pant has become a de-facto primary home uniform. 

I mean, yes, the alternate throwback helmet -- especially on that shell -- looks amazing, and the retro logo is far superior to the generic one they have had the last few seasons. But, there's nothing remotely interesting about their throwback uniform from the neck down. It's very boring. I would take the stylized Jets modern jersey and pants any day of the week if they just more traditional combinations regularly.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 3

5 hours ago, BBTV said:

I feel like the Jets are trying to mask their self-inflicted wounds here.

The helmet, because of it's awesome finish, often appears black - or at least a very-dark green that clashes with their green jersey and green pants.  The black pants are bad, but IMO work with the helmet more than their green does.  It's an adjustment to mask a problem that they themselves created, but they can't fix it so gotta do what they gotta do.

Obviously their throwbacks are their superior look, but their current one could be salvaged with a helmet that better matches the green, the throwback logo on it (they could round the letters some if they need it to match the rest of their branding), and smaller wordmark.  Relatively-minor things that should be easily doable, but would have a tremendous impact.

Until then (which is unlikely to happen), we're going to see more of this, and I have to reluctantly say that it's probably a better look for them.

For tonight's game specifically, they were going to wear all white until Breece Hall tweeted about wanting the black pants on Thursday and then Woody Johnson announced the change Saturday. Going with the black pants in tonight's game doesn't have any connection to the helmet colour.

I posted about this on previous pages, but I'm more convinced now that increased wearing of the white jerseys is a result of the Jets org not liking this jersey set anymore and feeling that the white jersey is the better of the two options they have. Looking at home games (read: where they have the choice of jersey),

• 2019 - 4 green, 3 black, 1 white
  • 2020 - 5 green, 2 black, 1 white
  • 2021 - 4 green, 3 black, 2 white
  • 2022 - 1 green, 3 black, 4 white
  • 2023so far including tonight - 1 green, 2 throwback (white), 2 white. The rest of the season will include one black jersey game and, per the Falcons jersey schedule having white when they visit the Jets, appears at least one more chosen green jersey game

It's also not like they have a history of wearing white at home because they didn't really with this set until last season and they only used to wear white at home like two times a year, at most, with the previous set.

Right now, if you were to ask me, I would expect the Jets to change the jerseys next year and probably to this year's throwbacks. The fans generally prefer that logo and more important, Woody Johnson appears to also prefer it.

• Like 4

IbjBaeE.png

The Buccaneers knew they couldn’t restore the original pewter color so they went with the charcoal Nike threw at them in 2014. 

It wouldn’t shock me if they didn’t like the pewter, considering they seem to have shelved the all-pewter alternate (thank god).

If there’s any team who would cave to pressure to modernize their throwbacks, it’s the Buccs. It’s about that time to start thinking about it if they wanted to do it.

I’ve always wanted to see a version of the pirate flag unis with a white helmet, current logo, red jerseys, orange and pewter accents. Keep two throwbacks in rotation: 1977 and 2002.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, canzman said:

They added the Oiler throwback but didn't remove the Columbia Blue from the closet

Tennessee wore the columbia blue tops in Jacksonville and Miami. I was thinking they would do the same in Tampa. If what the article says is to be believed, the Titans will wear the navy blue jersey with white pants when visiting the Buccaneers.

1 hour ago, Froob said:

Shame, jets in green vs chargers white/yellow would have been great.

There's a chance for the Chargers and Jets to play again at Metlife, next year in 2024 and in 2025. As for this year, there's a decent chance for them to draw each other. I will say that if Herbert plays better then the two teams won't.

Since the redesign, the Bucs have worn pewter pants for like 90% of their games prior to this season. I don't think they suddenly dislike them.

I'm hoping they break out the red jerseys this week with so few opportunities left to do so.

The Titans wore navy at Tampa Bay in 2015 and 2007.

ike-hilliard-of-the-tampa-bay-buccaneers

14BEST-sub-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&a

My only memory of Tampa in red against the Titans was for this  preseason game a few years back:

1335507507.0.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

It's just annoying that a white top and alternate pant has become a de-facto primary home uniform. 

When did the NFL essentially start allowing Color Rush uniform elements with the primary uniforms? I think that if you use any portion of your alternate look, whether that's the helmet, the jersey, the pants, or the socks, that should count as one of your three alternate slots. Teams should have to designate which pant/sock combos are their primary and stick to that for the vast majority of the season.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ruttep said:

When did the NFL essentially start allowing Color Rush uniform elements with the primary uniforms? I think that if you use any portion of your alternate look, whether that's the helmet, the jersey, the pants, or the socks, that should count as one of your three alternate slots. Teams should have to designate which pant/sock combos are their primary and stick to that for the vast majority of the season.

This happened after they discontinued the “mandatory Color Rush” program that forced teams into these uniforms for the Thursday night games. 2018 I think? That’s when you started getting the Cowboys in white pants with the navy jerseys.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, timjameskohler said:

This happened after they discontinued the “mandatory Color Rush” program that forced teams into these uniforms for the Thursday night games. 2018 I think? That’s when you started getting the Cowboys in white pants with the navy jerseys.

Embarrassing. The worst uniform decision the NFL has ever made was starting the Color Rush program.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Pigskin12 said:

Since the redesign, the Bucs have worn pewter pants for like 90% of their games prior to this season. I don't think they suddenly dislike them.

I'm hoping they break out the red jerseys this week with so few opportunities left to do so.

The Titans wore navy at Tampa Bay in 2015 and 2007.

ike-hilliard-of-the-tampa-bay-buccaneers

14BEST-sub-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&a

My only memory of Tampa in red against the Titans was for this  preseason game a few years back:

1335507507.0.jpg

Yeah, it was merely a thought. Just strange though how they seemed to love the pewter pants over the last few years and have suddenly started wearing white a lot more. I don’t mind the white pants, but much prefer the pewter. It’s a shame though that they couldn’t get a correct shade of pewter with Nike though.

3 hours ago, timjameskohler said:

It wouldn’t shock me if they didn’t like the pewter, considering they seem to have shelved the all-pewter alternate (thank god).

Bucs have worn the all pewter unis at least once every year since they were released, and there are still 4 home games remaining.  Road games and color v color aren't out of the question either, so theres still time.

3 hours ago, timjameskohler said:

I recall it being the game against the Giants in 2017.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kaleb_girod said:

Yeah, it was merely a thought. Just strange though how they seemed to love the pewter pants over the last few years and have suddenly started wearing white a lot more. I don’t mind the white pants, but much prefer the pewter. It’s a shame though that they couldn’t get a correct shade of pewter with Nike though.

My .02 is it’s the icy look, idiots who don’t wear the correct socks and make them even icier, and to kinda say this isn’t Tom’s team anymore. That’s all I can think of. As a fan, I’m sick of it and they need red/pewter, white/pewter then alternate in the white pants, but what do I know. 

KISSwall09.jpg

1 hour ago, hormone said:

My .02 is it’s the icy look, idiots who don’t wear the correct socks and make them even icier, and to kinda say this isn’t Tom’s team anymore. That’s all I can think of. As a fan, I’m sick of it and they need red/pewter, white/pewter then alternate in the white pants, but what do I know. 

Like I said, I don’t mind the white pants, but only every now and then. The Bucs need to stick to pewter pants as their primary. It kills me when teams start to avoid using their best color.

And trust me, as Saints fan I feel your frustration completely. I’m just as sick of our stupid “icy” all -whites and “scary” leotard all-blacks when the gold pants are right there.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Bucs have worn the all pewter unis at least once every year since they were released, and there are still 4 home games remaining.  Road games and color v color aren't out of the question either, so theres still time.

Ahhh, so they have. I don’t know why I thought they stopped. I’m probably thinking of the Falcons’ gradient set, another uniform I hate.