Factory Pomo in sports.

While I don't think they're 100% linked to each other or that there's even a direct link between the two, when I see factory pomo in the context of sports, I think of its coinciding with an era of "just because we can doesn't mean we should". I feel like, especially toward the latter half of the 90s, a lot of designs became a lot more intricate and/or well outside the norm because of the rapid advance of computers and technology during that time, and the proliferation of software that came prepackaged with various clipart and other resources, many of which heavily leaned on factory pomo aesthetics. Again, I don't think there's a provable link between the two, and I'm not suggesting that the proposed Clippers logo was designed in PowerPoint 97. But the fairly rapid pace of change to uniforms starting in that era and factor pomo being prevalent at the time are inextricably linked in my head.

• Like 1

I like the unused Clippers logo, though. I think it would have been a great rebrand for them if they had moved to Anaheim full-time in 1993 (which I think sane ownership would have done -- the Sports Arena was a dump). It didn't translate to jersey scripts well, as I recall, but as a primary and a color scheme, great stuff.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 6/25/2023 at 8:37 PM, VampyrRabbit said:

Definately for the Suns and Bucks, though the canned Clippers rebrand was probably the purest expression of the style. O'Grady was definately into the style.

Yep, that’s in addition to the Raptors and 1994 FIBA championship logos posted above. Turd O’Gravy is so stuck on what he’s done in the past, along with a cloying “don’t you know who I am?” attitude, it’s left a sour taste in mouth for most of these logos.

• Like 3

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

On 7/4/2023 at 1:40 PM, SFGiants58 said:

It really didn’t translate well to Jersey form.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This was done by the Swamp Dragon’s firm. It’s a shame he’s such a jackanape, because he had some ok insights.

That is a delightful and appropriate way to describe him. His twitter feed is so disjointed, it only makes sense when you read his tweets in Trump’s voice.

• Like 1

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Common thread through Factory Pomo in sports and beyond: Industria, a font I think I'd never like to see again. The Oklahoma City Thunder use it. So does printer ink retailer Cartridge World.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

44 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Common thread through Factory Pomo in sports and beyond: Industria, a font I think I'd never like to see again. The Oklahoma City Thunder use it. So does printer ink retailer Cartridge World.

If only Futura and Gill Sans had condensed variants that weren't, y'know, trash. The Art Deco revivalism would've called for more sans-serif fonts, but sadly we got Industria and other condensed slabs and sans's instead.

If people wanted a better Factory Pomo/Art Deco revival font, ITC Busorama was right there.

il_570xN.2701572706_4odr.jpg

Sadly, since .otf wasn't "a thing" in the '90s, there was no good way to digitize the alternates and the font fell to the wayside.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2023 at 11:58 AM, Lights Out said:

Purdue made it work.

spacer.png

Hmmm... I'd consider that to be less 'factory pomo' influence and more of an adaptation of their 'train' logo, with the "PURDUE"  being the cowcatcher in front. 

There have been a couple of iterations of that.  The jersey appears based off the 2nd one below:

purold.jpeg
fdhfmmhs6wiqf6qyhyrl.jpg?v=1663312494

It is what it is.

21 hours ago, Frylock said:

Yep, that’s in addition to the Raptors and 1994 FIBA championship logos posted above. Turd O’Gravy is so stuck on what he’s done in the past, along with a cloying “don’t you know who I am?” attitude, it’s left a sour taste in mouth for most of these logos.

I totally get that and understand it.

20 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

If only Futura and Gill Sans had condensed variants that weren't, y'know, trash. The Art Deco revivalism would've called for more sans-serif fonts, but sadly we got Industria and other condensed slabs and sans's instead.

If people wanted a better Factory Pomo/Art Deco revival font, ITC Busorama was right there.

Sadly, since .otf wasn't "a thing" in the '90s, there was no good way to digitize the alternates and the font fell to the wayside.

Hypothetically speaking, if someone was pushing for a FP revival, what fonts would be best used? Asking for a friend.

4 hours ago, B-Rich said:

purold.jpeg

The tall font and inverted colours are very FP.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Kinda reminds me of the Kentucky Educational TV logo

spacer.png

Looks very similar.

On 7/7/2023 at 1:02 AM, Frylock said:

Need to add my two cents because I remember when he rant over Lions Throwback (yes, a throwback) calling it bland and boring and blame nike designers for that and even when people explained him "Dude it's a retro from 30's" he was like "So what?" and keep rant over it. It was so funny to read that conversation.

Anyway he is egocentric but we can't take from him that some of his works are still beloved.

• Like 2

4r2eer.png

Seeing all the pomo spikes in this thread as well as the Industria discussion jogged my memory of the Cape Cod League logo, but it's not as FP in real life as it was in my head. The typeface is more of a serif though maybe from the same pack of Art Deco faux-revival as Industria, and the spikes are actually a goofy asymmetric action explosion. I don't know what this is but it feels vaguely related. WASP Pomo?

CCBL_logo.png

• 2 weeks later...