Factory Pomo in sports.

So, what is Factory Pomo? Well, here is a primer (which also covers grunge, another 1990s style), and another one.

Basically, once you see it and know what it is and what it's called, you know it.

toronto_raptors_logo_primary_19961665.pngimg-2873069-m.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=96eaad3bf62a2df6903ecd45549423e37b6b6e35615f7fda1e52c77ff32d5c87&ipo=images

The Raptors are as good a place to start as any, having made their debut when the style was at it's height, and the contrasting shapes and triangles with the name Toronto are very Factory Pomo, as was the nameplate with its tall type and the teeth at the top.

Clippers1993Header.png

The proposed rebrand of the LA Clippers two years earlier was an even greater expression of the style.

Any more examples of Factory Pomo in sports that come to mind?

• Like 4

Love this topic, I am similarly petty/annoyed as that Tumblr post about the collective misremembering of what passes for meme 90s aesthetic these days. I don't feel like those main two aesthetics hit sports design as deeply. The OG MLS year always sticks out as the ultimate of 90s sports design, but it's something else... obviously the Revolution were grunge. MetroStars stick out as being pretty factory pomo, and looking at it again I suppose San Jose Clash were sort of up that alley, as well?

g5diZ0t.jpg 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Digby said:

Love this topic, I am similarly petty/annoyed as that Tumblr post about the collective misremembering of what passes for meme 90s aesthetic these days.

Don't know the post in question, but is it about how everyone glosses over the Global Coffeehouse style of earth tones and crudely drawn spirals?

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, Digby said:

Love this topic, I am similarly petty/annoyed as that Tumblr post about the collective misremembering of what passes for meme 90s aesthetic these days. I don't feel like those main two aesthetics hit sports design as deeply. The OG MLS year always sticks out as the ultimate of 90s sports design, but it's something else... obviously the Revolution were grunge. MetroStars stick out as being pretty factory pomo, and looking at it again I suppose San Jose Clash were sort of up that alley, as well?

g5diZ0t.jpg 

The Nike Uniforms also had a Factory Pomo feel to them, especially the ones for LA, San Jose and NY/NJ, with the high contrast and jagged lines.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-cI120o7PFqU%2FXGQq3SvwMEI%2FAAAAAAAB0mU%2FU9KS2w7OdlkA09EqDEvgtE4CTHMGeR14gCLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2F0-insane-launch-video-kits-all-1996-mls-jerseys%252B%2525282%252529.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=32adc82a3b8413f494155cb6716d0d0ece97345b33b1705fc825d94cea05054a&ipo=images

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

I feel like some of the NBA logo changes that took place during Tom O'Grady's tenure as the league's creative director could count as Factory Pomo, right?

Definately for the Suns and Bucks, though the canned Clippers rebrand was probably the purest expression of the style. O'Grady was definately into the style.

Interesting read. I was born in the 90s so barely remember it but a lot of this stuff does seem extremely familiar after reading about and seeing it again.

I wonder what kind of permutations and misappropriations  we'll see when 00's nostalgia starts rearing its head. 

On 6/25/2023 at 5:51 PM, the admiral said:

Don't know the post in question, but is it about how everyone glosses over the Global Coffeehouse style of earth tones and crudely drawn spirals?

Not to derail the thread, but question for you and the thread, would this colourful border design here Global Coffeehouse? I didn't know Global Coffeehouse was the name for that style until right now, but don't think so? (spoilered for space and thread purposes)

Spoiler

image.jpg?id=25924885&width=1245&height=

I have distinct memories of this style, most prominently with old Swiss Chalets, but I remember seeing it other places too but have never known the name.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

On 6/26/2023 at 2:55 PM, Chromatic said:

Interesting read. I was born in the 90s so barely remember it but a lot of this stuff does seem extremely familiar after reading about and seeing it again.

I wonder what kind of permutations and misappropriations  we'll see when 00's nostalgia starts rearing its head. 

I dunno but I think Hot Wheels Decades did a fantastic job

Early 2000s

spacer.png

Late 2000s

spacer.png