MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

36 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Miami has a pretty strong uniform schedule.  The blue seems to be a home only option at the moment.  For example, below is June 2024's calendar.

Home Monday-Thursday - White

Home Friday - Black

Home Saturday - City Connect

Home Sunday - Blue

Road games seem to utilize gray or black based on the opponents choice.  Mets wore white pinstripes from 11-13th, Nationals wore City Connect/City Connect/white from the 14-16th, KC wore white/white/light blue for the 24-26th, and Phillies went throwback/City Connect/cream/cream from the 27-30th.

miami-marlins-daily-baseball-uniforms-ju

The blue is strictly a Sunday home game jersey, which is not enough. It was originally supposed to be worn for any home day game, but that only lasted one week for some reason.

It deserves to be a road option as well. Several teams have multiple color jerseys worn both at home and on the road (Mariners, Astros, Orioles, Diamondbacks, Rays, Blue Jays, Royals, etc.) I never got why some teams only wear certain jerseys at home while others can wear them wherever.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, SportsFan12 said:

I never got why some teams only wear certain jerseys at home while others can wear them wherever.

Because that's what each team decides, it's not an MLB rule.

On 7/9/2024 at 3:18 PM, FiddySicks said:

That one was frustrating because in a vacuum, it’s one of my favorite looks in baseball history. I know there’s a particular dislike of the static cutout star, but I thought it was kind of perfect. It just didn’t really work for the Astros. But I don’t like any version of the navy and orange clip art Star they use, either. 

On 7/10/2024 at 5:17 PM, BBTV said:

I can kinda justify an italic / "moving" star being broken like that, but the static one looked like someone forgot to draw a line.

On 7/10/2024 at 6:42 PM, FiddySicks said:

My gripe with the italicized star is that it feels kind of unbalanced when distorted like that. It just plays a bit of a trick on my eye and kind of annoys me. It’s a nit pick, no doubt. 

The newer star is really well balanced (despite the missing side), and I just think is more clever and looks more refined to me. It’s more a suggestion of movement, which I get isn’t for everyone, but I love it. 

It’s pleasing in its simplicity, imo. It’s a really basic logo, but says a lot, I think. 

I dunno, I’m weird. 

The italicized open star was entirely too slight.  The extra chonk of its heir really helps it go a long way, and I always loved that logo.

Houston Astros Logo Cap Logo (2000-2012) - Brick star with tan outline on coal SportsLogos.Net

When imagining the Astros going back to orange, I'd expected them to recolor it because of how strong it was.  People talk about it being stationary, but I thought it was incredibly obvious that the open part is the tail of a classically drawn shooting star, like the Lucky Charms one.

3154ae4f2ca5d03e0107da3cb8c56392.jpg

Seemed like it had plenty of motion, and the design sorta fit the style of the time of the team's origins, especially more than the wild west touches they often leaned on and kinda are still doing now with the font.

Meanwhile, I actually came here because I'm watching ESPN's leadup to the Derby.  I did not realize that the All-Star Caps are coming in team colors as well, not just the somehow simultaneously faded and fluorescent shades.  Those things look SHARP in team colors.  I might just be that I love thick bands of team colors (It's why I love the pullover aesthetic of the 70's and 80's), but I love them.

Gatorade All-Star Workout Day

The home team especially looks beautiful.

• Like 3

spacer.png

spacer.png

48 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

The italicized open star was entirely too slight.  The extra chonk of its heir really helps it go a long way, and I always loved that logo.

Houston Astros Logo Cap Logo (2000-2012) - Brick star with tan outline on coal SportsLogos.Net

Holy balls.  I had never even noticed the open space before.  I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not, but it does make me look at it differently now.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

Holy balls.  I had never even noticed the open space before.  I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not, but it does make me look at it differently now.

Wait, then what missing line were you referring to then?

Or do you mean the hole in the middle, which I've never really focused on, but the star-within-a-star effect is neat?

My comments on not wanting to see the return of the previous open star have only been bolstered by watching the Derby and seeing the Lockheed Martin ad in the outfield.  We make Walgreens jokes, but the Astros would look like they were the company's sponsored team.

th?id=OIP.PVNoMgF9UCKWAIFwm3eNDQHaED&pid=Api&P=0&h=220

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

7 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Wait, then what missing line were you referring to then?

I guess technically it's two missing lines (the southwest part of the star):  This version seemed unfinished to me due to how static it stands, though if the negative space is supposed to be a shooting star, then maybe I have to look at it differently:

houston_astros_logo_cap_20002812.png

This version looked OK to me since it was "moving" and I just assumed it was moving so fast that you couldn't see the back end.  But you don't get any kind of negative-space effect due to the tapers in the west and southwest lines.

5161_houston_astros-jersey-1997.png

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Now I'm curious as to why the Cubs BP cap has the jersey logo rather than the standard cap logo...and why said logo is so small.

• Like 1

Didn't think it was possible, but the ASG unis are comically bad.  The lassoing cowboys in the starting line up intros are a close second. 

• Like 3

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

On 7/15/2024 at 7:39 AM, M59 said:

Number font that has no relationship to that of the host team with a drop shadow that's the same color as the body of the jersey...now, that's peak Nike MLB design for you!

[MOD EDIT: Gross.]

Edited by officeglenn
  • Like 1

Incoming annual All Star Game Rant:

Baseball has a star problem. Most of its best players are anonymous. We all know the best players on our own teams, but only have a vague idea who the other guys are. Baseball is so local. They play every day on regional networks so baseball fans get plenty of exposure to their guys. The best players are generally featured on Sunday Night Baseball and Saturday Baseball on FOX, but generally, the audience is still regional. Aside from theASG uniforms being so incredibly ugly every year, they make guys even more anonymous. Highlight the players in their own uniforms. Casuals and kids should have the opportunity to make the connection between the All Star and his team, not his league. There are so many great young players. Showcase them for local and national audiences in their own uniforms.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

When I was growing up everybody knew the big stars and I concur that it is a problem that baseball seems to have gotten away from that. Some of it makes sense, there's 162 games a year and these days there's only so much fans attention spans can go towards other teams than their own. But at the same time, reminiscing on how the greats of the past have been bigger than baseball in many respects (thinking Ruth, Mays, Clemente, and up to Griffey and Jeter) and outside of maybe Ohtani that's just not happening anymore. I will say I don't think MLB has adjusted to the new information age accordingly with their marketing, and even little things like the All Star uniforms add up to self inflicted wounds.

• Like 1

KtHjnlJ.png