This is the UFL! (XFL/USFL Merger)

Cujo

2 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

However, the IFA has had their issues.  They had made announcements that would later be postponed.  They announced a team in El Paso in June but in October, El Paso was removed from their website.  They had announced tryouts in Germany and Mexico City last month and while Mexico City did happen, Germany did not.  They recently announced a QB in their draft pool for their supposed January draft, only for him to sign with a team in the European League of Football a few weeks ago.  

I don't really think this league will take a snap, but they've been a lot noisier than other leagues. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just now, MJWalker45 said:

I don't really think this league will take a snap, but they've been a lot noisier than other leagues. 

One of the coaches they hired was Noel Mazzone, only for him to get the OC job with the Pittsburgh Maulers.  It will be interesting to see if he gets that job back now that the Maulers are gone.  They had a guy in their front office leave for the Edmonton Elks.  

The face of that league is Art Briles.  

8 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

One of the coaches they hired was Noel Mazzone, only for him to get the OC job with the Pittsburgh Maulers.  It will be interesting to see if he gets that job back now that the Maulers are gone.  They had a guy in their front office leave for the Edmonton Elks.  

The face of that league is Art Briles.  

If he's the face, I don't want to see the butt of the league.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

If he's the face, I don't want to see the butt of the league.

I think this is one of those situations where the head of the league doesn't ever have to get a prostate exam as he's got a 24/7 view. 

Edited by Red Comet
  • LOL 2

4 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So the UFL has not ruled out heading West in the future for expansion.  

Europe, South America, and The Moon are also in play.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Eyeroll 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

9 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Yes. That's what I've been saying. Something so simple, yet necessary for a league of this size. Try and get the best overall teams in the playoffs. Not taking away from Arlington. They won last year, fair and square based on the predetermined set-up. But when there are only 8 teams, 4 of whom are above .500 and one doesn't make the playoffs, but an under .500 team does, it can give a new, young league a not so good first impression and cause for not being taken seriously.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, McCall said:

Yes. That's what I've been saying. Something so simple, yet necessary for a league of this size. Try and get the best overall teams in the playoffs. Not taking away from Arlington. They won last year, fair and square based on the predetermined set-up. But when there are only 8 teams, 4 of whom are above .500 and one doesn't make the playoffs, but an under .500 team does, it can give a new, young league a not so good first impression and cause for not being taken seriously.

Moving away from division vs. division (or now conference vs. conference) is a mistake.  The UFL purposely divided the conferences by former league (even with the unfortunate renaming of the Gamblers).  So the championship game should further that concept by being USFL Conference champ versus XFL Conference champ.  

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

5 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Moving away from division vs. division (or now conference vs. conference) is a mistake.  The UFL purposely divided the conferences by former league (even with the unfortunate renaming of the Gamblers).  So the championship game should further that concept by being USFL Conference champ versus XFL Conference champ.  

It's possible the only guaranteed spots are the top team in each division, per an interview with Anthony Becht, so we won't see a 7-3 team left out because they're third in their side of the bracket if they have a better record than the second place team in the other division. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

41 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

So you're saying they should keep it as a possibility that a second place team with a below .500 record gets in over a 3rd place team from the other division with a winning record?

1 minute ago, McCall said:

So you're saying they should keep it as a possibility that a second place team with a below .500 record gets in over a 3rd place team from the other division with a winning record?

The possibility of a sub-.500 team winning the title exists in every league.  It was possible even in the best of all playoff systems, that of Major League Baseball from 1969 through 1993, which allowed only division champions to advance.

More important than the result in any one season is the integrity of the format.  It's always preferable to do playoffs by divisions/conferences, as this format strengthens rivalries and builds conference identity — this is doubly so in a league whose conferences start with a form of identity.  The two leagues had the playoff format right last season, and that's the one that should continue in the combined league.

• Dislike 1
  • Facepalm 1

If the UFL was an established league with decades of history? Yeah, maybe they could get away with a playoff format straight out of the Expansion Era NHL. But they aren’t and if I’m a league like the UFL, I want the best matchups possible and even if it isn’t perfect, the most reliable way to get the best matchups is to have the teams with the best records to make the postseason. 

• Like 2

On 1/4/2024 at 10:30 AM, MJWalker45 said:

XFL team's that didn't make the cut currently have their items on sale at the xflshop.com store. 

XFLMMXXIVSTM

That's the season ticket member code that knocks a few more coins off the cost. (20%)

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The possibility of a sub-.500 team winning the title exists in every league.  It was possible even in the best of all playoff systems, that of Major League Baseball from 1969 through 1993, which allowed only division champions to advance.

More important than the result in any one season is the integrity of the format.  It's always preferable to do playoffs by divisions/conferences, as this format strengthens rivalries and builds conference identity — this is doubly so in a league whose conferences start with a form of identity.  The two leagues had the playoff format right last season, and that's the one that should continue in the combined league.

Your bias is showing. And no amount of PR-speak is gonna hide it. Like @Red Comet said, this is a new league (of only 8 teams, I might add). It happening in one of the 5 major leagues is a rarity and an exception to the rule. In this new and small of a league, the best teams should be in the playoffs. Otherwise, fanbases are gonna find it hard to stick around if, in the end, having a winning team means nothing. And establishing fanbases is priority number 1 for a start-up league's success.

• Applause 1
  • Dislike 1

53 minutes ago, McCall said:

Your bias is showing.

My bias is for a sensible playoff system that builds conference identity. And I should hope that it is showing. 

If two teams from the same division/conference meet in the final, that's cheesy. The CFL degrades its image every time it employs the silly "crossover"; and the New York Red Bulls' "Western Conference Champions" banner is embarrassing.

Given that this new league starts with divisions each representing a different origin (like a mini-NFL), the use of a strictly conference-based playoff system would be a natural.

5 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

My bias is for a sensible playoff system that builds conference identity. And I should hope that it is showing. 

If two teams from the same division/conference meet in the final, that's cheesy. The CFL degrades its image every time it employs the silly "crossover"; and the New York Red Bulls' "Western Conference Champions" banner is embarrassing.

Given that this new league starts with divisions each representing a different origin (like a mini-NFL), the use of a strictly conference-based playoff system would be a natural.

You seem to think very highly of your own individual opinion and continue to disregard logic and common sense altogether when they get in the way of your portraying said opinion as if it was actually factual truth.

I admire the commitment and dedication. It's rooted in delusions of grandeur, but admirable nonetheless. Kudos to you good sir. And kudos again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, McCall said:

You seem to think very highly of your own individual opinion and continue to disregard logic and common sense altogether when they get in the way of your portraying said opinion as if it was actually factual truth.

I admire the commitment and dedication. It's rooted in delusions of grandeur, but admirable nonetheless. Kudos to you good sir. And kudos again.

Logic dictates that, if you're going to have conferences, then the playoff system should follow those conferences. Also very logical is the 3-at-2 / winner-at-1 format, which diffferently rewards each place in a very satisfying manner.

Common sense tells us that what is good for this new league is a guaranteed final featuring a former USFL team versus a former XFL team (understanding that what will be called the Roughnecks is really the renamed Gamblers).

What's more, the experience of the two leagues demonstrates the value of the playoff system. In one league the favourite went right through; and in the other league an underdog upended two favourites on the road, in the process writing one of the all-time great sports stories.

Anyway, it is advisable to recognise that everyone is here expressing opinions, and to refrain from personal attacks (which, incidentally, reek badly of projection).