A Couple of NFL Field comments

Chazberg

First of all, while I do like the new Vikings script, I thought they did a dreadful job with the field. The plain "V" logo at the 50 looks terribly dull, they really need to put the Viking head or at least a helmet in its place. Also, why in the hell did they feel the need to try to fit the entire "Minnesota Vikings" script in both end zones? The script was cramped and shrunk and it just looked really bad. It is obvious that they just need to put "Minnesota" in one end zone and "Vikings" in the other, as this would look better anyway.

Also, why have the Steelers not painted their field at all, save for "Pittsburgh" in one end zone? There was no midfield logo, and the other endzone just had some goofy white stripes it in. This isn't the 1950's people. How can they not be ready for opening day? It seems to me like they've done a terrible job with the field painting at Heinz since it opened. Like painting a yellow outline around the script, but not going ahead and doing the rest fo the endzone in yellow. I think that was last year or 2 years ago.

Finally, I HATE SOCCOR LINES ON NFL FIELDS. :cursing: I'm sorry but soccor is lame and I do not want to see any element of that boring-ass sport on an NFL field. The MLS can find some other damn place to play.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, expect the Vikings field to look better once baseball season ends. Remember, the Twins play in the Metrodome too, and I doubt they have two sets of Field Turf for both teams. So give them a pass there.

Heinz Field is home to both the Steelers and the Pitt Panthers (NCAA). Thus the two sets of hashmarks, and no identification on the field of who plays there. Does it look cheesy? Sure. Unfortunately, with the realities of two teams in one facility compromises need to be made.

As for the soccer lines on the field, re-read my last sentence. My team (the Patriots) shares Gillette Stadium with the New England Revolution, and I can live with the soccer lines on the field. I don't think it intrudes in any way.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Well, is Pittsburgh a state college? If it is, and the government paid for part of the stadium, that might be a reason for mixed priorities.

I believe this is a big part of the deal.

Also, if you happen to get close to Heinz Field, you'll see the big, steel double-door entryways have the word "Steelers" carved out of one door and "Panthers" out of the other. Strangely, both word are in the Steelers stencil typeface.

Bottom line, it's (to the best of my knowledge) a mutually shared stadium, though the Steelers played a primary role in its design.

Here is an article from when Heinz field first opened. I'm sure much of this logic has changed from then to now, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Enjoy

http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/20010824hturf0824P1.asp

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If you don't like soccer lines on a football field, then don't ever go to Franklin Field

in Philadelphia (home of the Penn Quakers and sometimes Temple).

There are soccer lines, field hockey lines, and lacrosse lines -- each a different color!

Hard to find a good photo of it ... Maybe this will show it.

9templefans.jpg

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Wow...talk about multipurpose.

Football, soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, and some bike ramps! (check behind the top sidelines)

Also a track around the field. (It's the home of the Penn Relays each spring.)

And in-between regular games, it's used for intramurals. In the spring they set up two softball fields in opposite corners.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Kill me for not being a purest....

But damn. I'd say that's some very effective and extremely smart building management. As someone who's interested in going to into the sports management field, it's amazing to see how much use Penn is getting from its stadium like that. Excellent work by the officials there!

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Soccer is the single most popular sport in the world... how can you dis the most popular game in the world? (My support for this is that every country has a team, and the USA is the ONLY country that doesn't have it as a major sport).

I don't like seeing the lines of any other sport on a football field. Baseball dirt, soccer lines, etc... I am watching football, I don't want to see the other sports on my football field.

So, soccer is cool, but not when football is being played on the field.

Thank you.

Kill me for not being a purest....

But damn. I'd say that's some very effective and extremely smart building management. As someone who's interested in going to into the sports management field, it's amazing to see how much use Penn is getting from its stadium like that. Excellent work by the officials there!

When I was a student at Penn, it seemed like most of the athletic facilities were in use 24/7. We played intramural softball at Franklin Field at 3 a.m. even.

Not bad for a stadium that was built in 1896.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Here is my idea for any stadium that has both NFL and NCAA Tenants:

Sun Devil Stadium: On the 50 yard line, the Arizona State University "ASU" logo or university coat of arms with the words, "SUN DEVIL STADIUM" above the emblem and "FRANK KUSH FIELD" below the logo. Paint one end zone with the Cardinals logos and the other with the Sun Devils.

Heinz Field: Heinz Field Logo (Same as the Heinz logo used on their ketchup and 57 sauces) on the 50, one endzone with the Steelers logo and colors and the other with the Pittsburgh Panthers logo.

Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome: Metrodome logo (Has a letter M) on the 50, Vikings logo and colors in one end zone and Minnesota Golden Gophers colors and logo in the other.

Superdome: Louisiana Superdome logo (Superdome with river wave) on the 50, Saints logo and colors in one end zone, Tulane Green Wave logo and colors in the other.

What do you think?

Atlanta Braves, please bring back the Indian Head logo.

If you don't like soccer lines on a football field, then don't ever go to Franklin Field

in Philadelphia (home of the Penn Quakers and sometimes Temple).

There are soccer lines, field hockey lines, and lacrosse lines -- each a different color!

Hard to find a good photo of it ... Maybe this will show it.

9templefans.jpg

I've never been to a GAME in Franklin Field, but my wife's Wharton class held their graduation there after she completed her MBA. The place has a NEAT feel. I would recommend a visit to anyone in the Philadelphia area.

Tsongas Arena in Lowell, MA is multi-purpose. At center ice is the Tsongas Arena logo. Above one of the face-off circles between the blue lines is the Lowell LockMonsters logo, and above the other one is the UMass-Lowell RiverHawks logo.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Giants Stadium has changeable end zones that zip in and out. They have "Giants", "Jets" and a generic "Meadowlands".

They also had other end zones when the stadium had more teams, like the Hitmen of the XFL, the Generals of the USFL and Rutgers when their stadium was under renovation.

When the Giants play the Jets in pre-season, they use one end zone of each. In the regular season, they use the home team end zones.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I agree with the earlier comments about the Vikings field. We were commenting during the game that they either need to go with just "Vikings" or just "Minnesota". If they stick with the entire name, they need to make the gold outline around the purple letters wider so they letters stand out more. The purple doesn't contrast the green enough they way it is, they are too close in tone.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived