North America Pro Soccer 2024

Brian in Boston

FC Cincinnatis Aaron Boupendza is now out 6-8 weeks recovering from a broken jaw. He was assaulted at a local bar early Monday morning according to Cincinnati Police. Just another one of his many off field issues.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Signature intentionally left blank

2 hours ago, Dilbert said:

FC Cincinnatis Aaron Boupendza is now out 6-8 weeks recovering from a broken jaw. He was assaulted at a local bar early Monday morning according to Cincinnati Police. Just another one of his many off field issues.

Reportedly, his assailant was local professional boxer Quashawn Toler.

https://theathletic.com/5467316/2024/05/02/fc-cincinnati-aaron-boupendza-jaw-bar/

• WOAH 1

it is rumored to be the USL Super League team for Dallas, which could be a disaster.  It seats 92,000 people and there are plenty of smaller high school stadiums in the area where the USL Super League team could play,

Problem with HS stadiums (at least in Texas) is no beer sales.  No matter how appealing it is to play in one of our 6A Football Stadiums, that little issue kills it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GDAWG said:

it is rumored to be the USL Super League team for Dallas, which could be a disaster.  It seats 92,000 people and there are plenty of smaller high school stadiums in the area where the USL Super League team could play,

It's better to have someone routinely playing there than to have it sit vacant. I'm sure if FC Dallas plays Inter Miami next year, that's where they would play. AT&T is bigger, but I don't think bringing in grass for a MLS game is better than playing on an already established grass field. Whoever plays there would probably put everyone on one side of the field like Birmingham has done in the UFL, and Orlando did in the XFL last year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Dallas has approved the deal for the USL Super League to play at the Cotton Bowl. Team branding is expected to be revealed tomorrow.

53 minutes ago, Digby said:

Getting Christian folk art vibes from that branding. Were we jamming on "Graceland" during the design process or what? Odd.

It does look like one of those woodblock cut nativity figures. 

b85455d7-e8ff-4da6-80f1-7e6197acabda_192

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

What a fun night in MLS last night. The kickoff of rivalry week saw FC Cincinnati get their first win ever at Columbus. Tempers flared in Toronto after their loss to NYCFC, and Messi complained about not being able to waste time by being "injured" for more than 15 seconds and having to wait on the sidelines for two minutes.

• Like 3

I find it laughable that people are saying they should scrap the injury rule because Messi is complaining about it. It's partially about time wasting, but also about making sure trainers have time to make sure a player isn't seriously injured. So if you aren't, get your butt up. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Saturday night was intense. I watched that FCC-Crew game with all the anxiety that I usually feel during Bengals-Steelers games. Glad to finally get a W up there. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

12 hours ago, Sport said:

Saturday night was intense. I watched that FCC-Crew game with all the anxiety that I usually feel during Bengals-Steelers games. Glad to finally get a W up there. 

Crew fan here. Was aggravating. After that first goal, I knew we'd go into all-out attack mode and we did and it bit us. We did make it close, though. But yeah, that game had the intensity of a Browns-Steelers game at the end. As a long time fan of the Crew, it is nice to see the progression of MLS and the team over the decades.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Sport said:

11 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Crew fan here. Was aggravating. After that first goal, I knew we'd go into all-out attack mode and we did and it bit us. We did make it close, though. But yeah, that game had the intensity of a Browns-Steelers game at the end. As a long time fan of the Crew, it is nice to see the progression of MLS and the team over the decades.

It was a little infuriating to see so many Crew fans start screaming that the sky is falling instead of acknowledging that FCC are one of the better teams in the league now. I felt like they should have been more aggressive earlier in the game, but that 1-2 scoreline was the right one based on the overall flow of the game. If anyone thinks they are resting up for the CCC final, they're delusional.  Granted, Pachuca has 3 weeks off, so that might actually help the Crew. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I don't know if anyone is following what's going on in Naptown right now (or if this was reported elsewhere), but apparently they got a little SSS brouhaha going on up there...

Summation: Eleven wants to build a multi-use stadium complex southwest of downtown; the Mayor proposed a whole other stadium site project over on the east side—on the site of a current IU Health heliport, no less—to lure an expansion MLS side. Now the two groups are at odds with each other...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

I don't know if anyone is following what's going on in Naptown right now (or if this was reported elsewhere), but apparently they got a little SSS brouhaha going on up there...

Summation: Eleven wants to build a multi-use stadium complex southwest of downtown; the Mayor proposed a whole other stadium site project over on the east side—on the site of a current IU Health heliport, no less—to lure an expansion MLS side. Now the two groups are at odds with each other...

Yup, it's definitely on the radar of a few of us. I keep asking who does the mayor expect to put up the expansion fee, let alone run the team? Kicking Indy Eleven out of a deal that was all but done makes no sense either. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/127544-north-america-pro-soccer-2024/?do=findComment&comment=3401033

https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/127544-north-america-pro-soccer-2024/?do=findComment&comment=3401052

https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/127544-north-america-pro-soccer-2024/?do=findComment&comment=3401126

26 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I keep asking who does the mayor expect to put up the expansion fee, let alone run the team? Kicking Indy Eleven out of a deal that was all but done makes no sense either. 

Tom Glick - a sports executive who helped launch both New York City FC and Charlotte FC - is rumored to be heading up the process of bringing together an ownership group/leadership team for an Indianapolis MLS bid. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2024/04/26/tom-glick-leading-group-of-investors-for-indy-mls-team-per-reports/73463540007/

As for Ersal Ozdemir's Indy Eleven stadium deal being "all but done", that assessment would seem to be a bit optimistic. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/columnists/james-briggs/2024/05/09/indy-eleven-has-a-bigger-problem-than-money-at-diamond-chain-site/73627540007/

Ozdemir being able to afford completion of the stadium's construction without the public sector having to a shoulder an increased investment in the project seemed uncertain... and that was before the task of recovering, identifying, and reinterring human remains was added to Keystone Group's list of responsibilities.

It would appear that Mayor Hogsett, in an attempt to cover the city's fiscal keister and procure a bigger bang for the public coffer's bucks, tried to line up an alternative pathway to soccer-related investment for Indianapolis. He seems to be of the mind that landing a Major League Soccer club for the city is a better investment of public dollars than securing the city's USL Championship present and future. Whether he's right or wrong about that - indeed, whether the city can pull together an investment group that will be successful in obtaining admittance into MLS - is unknown at this time.

However, if Major League Soccer is Mayor Hogsett's target, I'd have to say that having Tom Glick - a guy who has extensive experience as an executive in the pro soccer space ( CEO of Derby County, CCO of City Football Group and first President of New York City FC, President of Tepper Sports & Entertainment who oversaw the acquisition and launch of Charlotte FC, and CEO of Chelsea FC) - heading up the effort to put together the ownership group and management team capable of doing so is a better bet than Ersal Ozdemir.            

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

It was a little infuriating to see so many Crew fans start screaming that the sky is falling instead of acknowledging that FCC are one of the better teams in the league now. I felt like they should have been more aggressive earlier in the game, but that 1-2 scoreline was the right one based on the overall flow of the game. If anyone thinks they are resting up for the CCC final, they're delusional.  Granted, Pachuca has 3 weeks off, so that might actually help the Crew. 

Crew fans were talking a lot of smack this past week on twitter. The overly used "Kentucky FC or KFC", three wooden spoons, your airport is in Kentucky, we won the Eastern Conference Final at your home and then won MLS Cup, Supporters shield is not the league championship despite what our coach says. Then after the game it switched to them pointing the blame on their team. The next day the two teams (MLS Next Pro) played in their version of Hell Is Real, aptly named Heck is Plausible. FCC2 won that matchup as well sweeping the weekend.