North America Pro Soccer 2024

Brian in Boston

USSF has granted division one status to the new USL Super League. The USLSL will be division one alongside NWSL in the womens pyramid. The USLSL will follow the European soccer calendar and begin the 2024-25 season in August with 8 clubs.

-Brooklyn

-Charlotte

-Dallas/Fort Worth

-Fort Lauderdale

-Lexington

-Spokane

-Tampa

-Washington DC

Eight other are already in line to join in future seasons

-Chattanooga

-Indianapolis

-Jacksonville

-Madison

-Oakland

-Palm Beach

-Phoenix

-Tucson

Signature intentionally left blank

2 hours ago, Dilbert said:

USSF has granted division one status to the new USL Super League. The USLSL will be division one alongside NWSL in the womens pyramid. The USLSL will follow the European soccer calendar and begin the 2024-25 season in August with 8 clubs.

-Brooklyn

-Charlotte

-Dallas/Fort Worth

-Fort Lauderdale

-Lexington

-Spokane

-Tampa

-Washington DC

-Chattanooga

-Indianapolis

-Jacksonville

-Madison

-Oakland

-Palm Beach

-Phoenix

-Tucson

Yeah, I'm sure players are gonna leave the bigger markets of the NWSL to play in Spokane and Chattanooga.

3 hours ago, Dilbert said:

-Brooklyn

-Charlotte

-Dallas/Fort Worth

-Fort Lauderdale

-Lexington

-Spokane

-Tampa

-Washington DC

-Chattanooga

-Indianapolis

-Jacksonville

-Madison

-Oakland

-Palm Beach

-Phoenix

-Tucson

So what is interesting is that this league is owned by the USL and yet two USL teams have NWSL teams.  

13 hours ago, McCall said:

Yeah, I'm sure players are gonna leave the bigger markets of the NWSL to play in Spokane and Chattanooga.

The only thing they have over NWSL is that they play in line with European calendars. It's weird that they are expanding the USL W League as well, which has teams in bigger markets than the ones in the Super League. 

13 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So what is interesting is that this league is owned by the USL and yet two USL teams have NWSL teams.  

I wonder if we see those two NWSL squads separate from their current owners. I'd think they would want to much for anyone else coming in to take them off of their hands though.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

It looks like we will be starting the MLS season with replacement officials. The Professional Referee Organization (PRO) announced it will lock out match officials as of 12:01am on February 18th after 95.8% of MLS officials rejected MLS and PROs CBA offer. The agreement would have mad PRO officials among the highest paid in the world.

The five year CBA included:

-Overall increases in guaranteed pay in the agreement’s first year: 10-33% for referees, 75-104% for assistant referees, and 15-100% for video match officials, plus increased match fees for regular-season games and playoffs.
- An increase of seven percent in 2027 for all salaries/retainers and match fees – the highest mid-contract raise ever offered – with three percent increases in all other years.
-First/business class air travel for the playoffs and MLS Cup throughout the deal, and for Decision Day in 2027 and 2028.
- Additional benefits include enhanced injury continuance for referees and assistant referees, physical therapy reimbursement for referees and assistant referees in PRO’s sports performance program, employer contributions for assistant referees and video match officials for reimbursable health care costs, and increased severance for referees and assistant referees.

Signature intentionally left blank

The nonprofit that stewards Boston's Emerald Necklace parks is suing the city over the plan to renovate the Franklin Park stadium for an NWSL team because they're mad the planning process is going too fast and because it would reduce the number of opportunities for schoolkids to play football there. I'm biased, wanting an NWSL team in this market, but I tend to think it's a good deal to get a decrepit public facility fixed up, NIMBY mucking-up is unreasonable to getting anything done, and that we shouldn't be encouraging kids to play contact football anyway. Strange bedfellows indeed, when the fundraiser-gala environmentalist set is suing the city's most progressive administration ostensibly in defense of black neighborhood kids (to get TBIs).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Digby said:

The nonprofit that stewards Boston's Emerald Necklace parks is suing the city over the plan to renovate the Franklin Park stadium for an NWSL team because they're mad the planning process is going too fast and because it would reduce the number of opportunities for schoolkids to play football there. I'm biased, wanting an NWSL team in this market, but I tend to think it's a good deal to get a decrepit public facility fixed up, NIMBY mucking-up is unreasonable to getting anything done, and that we shouldn't be encouraging kids to play contact football anyway. Strange bedfellows indeed, when the fundraiser-gala environmentalist set is suing the city's most progressive administration ostensibly in defense of black neighborhood kids (to get TBIs).

It's also so infuriating when groups like these wait until the last minute to start coming up with reasons why these projects need to be shelved. Trying to give the impression that people need to pick between two sports is jus a bad look. 

1 hour ago, BrySmalls said:

I'll root for anyone to win MLS Cup this year except for the following clubs (I have my own reasons): Atlanta, Austin FC, LAFC, Inter Miami, NYCFC, and Seattle.

I can agree with this list as well.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Probably not too many folks watching Concacaf Cup action tonight but I just finished the New England vs CA Independiente (Panama) match and it was Concacaf-y as hell. Chiefly concerning the broadcast, on something crash-prone called Tubi, a one-man booth of a man named George who I'm half-convinced they just pulled from outside the stadium.

His highlights included:

- Initially stating that Dave Romney is no relation to Mitt, but then changing course and mentioning four times that actually yes, he is somewhere from a third to fifth cousin, exactly which is unclear

- Repeatedly pronouncing Andrew Farrell's name like Pharrell, the producer/pop star

- Sharing his research into Panamanian soccer, including threats of an upcoming strike (again he said this four times) and that the league uses conferences, like the NBA does (not like the MLS does...?)

- Rapping Mike Jones lyrics when DeJuan Jones touched the ball, only to conclude the bar with "Ah, my rapping sucks"

- Coining the nickname "Bobby Wood, up to no good"

- Incorrectly announcing Chancalay's goal as his first as a Rev

- Sharing that he would drop his mic and walk away if his brother was substituted into the match (literally what?)

I maintain once again: MLS's efforts to kill off all the public-access vibes of the North American game are gravely misguided and need to be stopped.

12 hours ago, Digby said:

Probably not too many folks watching Concacaf Cup action tonight but I just finished the New England vs CA Independiente (Panama) match and it was Concacaf-y as hell. Chiefly concerning the broadcast, on something crash-prone called Tubi, a one-man booth of a man named George who I'm half-convinced they just pulled from outside the stadium.

His highlights included:

- Initially stating that Dave Romney is no relation to Mitt, but then changing course and mentioning four times that actually yes, he is somewhere from a third to fifth cousin, exactly which is unclear

- Repeatedly pronouncing Andrew Farrell's name like Pharrell, the producer/pop star

- Sharing his research into Panamanian soccer, including threats of an upcoming strike (again he said this four times) and that the league uses conferences, like the NBA does (not like the MLS does...?)

- Rapping Mike Jones lyrics when DeJuan Jones touched the ball, only to conclude the bar with "Ah, my rapping sucks"

- Coining the nickname "Bobby Wood, up to no good"

- Incorrectly announcing Chancalay's goal as his first as a Rev

- Sharing that he would drop his mic and walk away if his brother was substituted into the match (literally what?)

I maintain once again: MLS's efforts to kill off all the public-access vibes of the North American game are gravely misguided and need to be stopped.

Even more Concacaf-y, Cruz Azul and Leon had over 32 minutes of added time due to multiple issues with stadium lights. 

leon-mexico-gonzalo-piovi-of-cruz-azul-l

• Facepalm 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

51 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Even more Concacaf-y, Cruz Azul and Leon had over 32 minutes of added time due to multiple issues with stadium lights. 

That's just hilarious.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Has Seattle switched to grass? It looks like they have a line of turf laid down in the bench area that's different from the field. I also haven't seen a whole lot of the pellets coming up like I've seen before on that field.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Has Seattle switched to grass? It looks like they have a line of turf laid down in the bench area that's different from the field. I also haven't seen a whole lot of the pellets coming up like I've seen before on that field.

That game's in LA at BMO Field.

54 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Ok. I feel dumb. Seattle would still look better with grass. 

It's coming soon ish. Not sure exactly when, but they need grass for the World Cup.

You know what's stupid? I can't access Apple TV on my phone.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

10 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It's coming soon ish. Not sure exactly when, but they need grass for the World Cup.

You know what's stupid? I can't access Apple TV on my phone.

That is pretty dumb. I can't watch it on mine, but I own a Google Pixel. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

That is pretty dumb. I can't watch it on mine, but I own a Google Pixel. 

I have a Galaxy Fold, so it's the same thing.

I can watch Apple TV on my Xbox; why not my stupid phone?

• Like 1