North America Pro Soccer 2024

Brian in Boston

On 1/26/2024 at 1:41 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Hopefully this means Canada can get a better rate for their games, since they are losing money left and right. 

The analyses I've read suggest that while the Canadian national team will likely come out of this just fine, it's the CanPL which is in serious trouble. Demand for Canadian national teams is soft but sustainable, but CanPL demand is very weak. TSN and Sportsnet aren't interested, and CBC doesn't have the time/money/resources. Other than Mediapro, the only production company with the ability to step in and produce CanPL matches is Dome Productions (Rogers/Bell), and they are unlikely to be interested in stretching their resources to cover the CanPL when they have so many more lucrative things on their plate.

I think it's fair to say that without Mediapro's money and technical know-how when it comes to production, a cloud of uncertainty is going to start hovering over the CanPL. Unless CSB gets this figured out quickly, the continued existence of the CanPL is going to be increasingly in question.

4 minutes ago, zubazpirate said:

I think it's fair to say that without Mediapro's money and technical know-how when it comes to production, a cloud of uncertainty is going to start hovering over the CanPL. Unless CSB gets this figured out quickly, the continued existence of the CanPL is going to be increasingly in question.

I wonder if these teams would be better off transitioning over to the USL if the league can't take care of them. It's almost a like for like move in terms of TV/streaming and competitiveness if they have to make that change, isn't it? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I wonder if these teams would be better off transitioning over to the USL if the league can't take care of them. It's almost a like for like move in terms of TV/streaming and competitiveness if they have to make that change, isn't it? 

TBH I haven't thought of what the future would look like if the CanPL implodes, but I think that suggestion is as good as any assuming the USL is willing to take some Canadian teams on board.

Some of the clubs are strong entities, Wanderers, Forge, Cavalry and Atletico all come to mind in that regard. Valour and Pacific are a coin toss. I would not expect Vancouver and York to make the jump... without a domestic league that needs to have a footprint in the largest Canadian cities, there really is no need to continue those money-pit teams that have an impossible task of drawing fan attention away from not only MLS, but also the national teams which play a lot of their matches in both of those cities.

It's possible that the world just wasn't ready for CanPL, but some of the individual clubs are definitely viable. I think the fans would follow, I don't think they are especially invested in the CanPL brand specifically. The fans in Ottawa certainly have a past when it comes to the USL.

• Like 1

I'm not sure who will produce the broadcasts, but it seems like a PWHL model (YouTube + occasional national) is probably the best course of action, but the PWHL has the benefit of national names and the CPL's marquee names are...the clubs in Hamilton and Calgary, ostensibly? It's so frustrating because it just takes so much work to build the domestic game in any country where it's not a huge part of the culture (I follow the A-Leagues to some degree too and Australia/NZ is having some issues) and people are impatient (naturally) AND have the benefit of still following CFM/TFC/Whitecaps in MLS, a league that (while a pyramid scheme) has somewhat successfully grown.

I have no knowledge of this to be a fact but I have a feeling the CPL has something up their sleeve.

Why would they willingly take the games off TV without a plan to have that replaced? There was still time left on the deal with Mediapro.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but I don't think this is the end at all. The league knew at start up it'd be years before making money. They knew it would be even longer after the "bubble season" due to covid. I doubt this would spell the end all of a sudden. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

13 minutes ago, Jer15 said:

I have no knowledge of this to be a fact but I have a feeling the CPL has something up their sleeve.

Why would they willingly take the games off TV without a plan to have that replaced? There was still time left on the deal with Mediapro.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but I don't think this is the end at all. The league knew at start up it'd be years before making money. They knew it would be even longer after the "bubble season" due to covid. I doubt this would spell the end all of a sudden. 

I'd really like to think that! As zubazpirate points out- there's some fairly strong entities within the league, I have no doubt Forge and the Cavs could land on their feet regardless of what happens, but even without this uncertainty there's at least two (York and Valour) clubs who are on shaky ground.

2 hours ago, LaGrandeOrange said:

I'd really like to think that! As zubazpirate points out- there's some fairly strong entities within the league, I have no doubt Forge and the Cavs could land on their feet regardless of what happens, but even without this uncertainty there's at least two (York and Valour) clubs who are on shaky ground.

Yeah. I've assumed for 2 seasons now Valour will drop out but the Bombers keep them going, thank goodness.

York just got new ownership.....I don't profess to know much other than the owners also have ties to the Mexican league (which I know very little about). I think their family owned or owns a team.....I should  It's great news the league got the team away from the Baldassarra family who seemed to pass it around between the family and their company. I can only assume that was for tax reasons....but I really don't know so I probably shouldn't speculate.

Either way, I hope that means good things for York...again, call me overly optimistic if you feel that's the case 😆.

I can't stand to think of the CPL disappearing. It's clearly been helping the pipeline. 

All of this just seems too typical for Soccer Canada, finally getting things turned around. I remain optimistic but I admit a bit fearful. I really don't want to think of the program regressing. I recall going to games just hoping they'd win and make it to the hex. I don't want to go back to those days. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

2 hours ago, Jer15 said:

Yeah. I've assumed for 2 seasons now Valour will drop out but the Bombers keep them going, thank goodness.

York just got new ownership.....I don't profess to know much other than the owners also have ties to the Mexican league (which I know very little about). I think their family owned or owns a team.....I should  It's great news the league got the team away from the Baldassarra family who seemed to pass it around between the family and their company. I can only assume that was for tax reasons....but I really don't know so I probably shouldn't speculate.

Either way, I hope that means good things for York...again, call me overly optimistic if you feel that's the case 😆.

I can't stand to think of the CPL disappearing. It's clearly been helping the pipeline. 

All of this just seems too typical for Soccer Canada, finally getting things turned around. I remain optimistic but I admit a bit fearful. I really don't want to think of the program regressing. I recall going to games just hoping they'd win and make it to the hex. I don't want to go back to those days. 

Yeah- I feel the same, the amount of CPL talent moving to MLS/abroad is fairly impressive for such a short time and with such little infrastructure beforehand. I am a very rare person who follows the league without a club to support (the Alex Bunbury group has talked about coming into town for years, any day now...) and I find it to be a fairly admirable quality all things considered. I hope I'll be able to continue to watch, but I also probably won't put in extra effort since I don't have a club to support.

It'd be very bad for something to happen to the league before 2026, I can't imagine FIFA would be too thrilled for a World Cup host to not have a domestic league.

• Like 1

I can hear Division 2 college football fans raging right now lol. The D2 national championship was at Children's Mercy Park for a while until SKC put an end to it. I'm of the belief SKC pulled some sort of loophole to end the D2 title games before the original end of contract. I recall NCAA having to scramble to find a replacement venue and ultimately lucked out with one of those big high school district stadiums in Texas.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Orlando and San Luís feels like a manageable group, although I thought that last year too.

"Lady luck" knew what she was doing throwing Chivas into a group with SJ and the Galaxy and Tijuana with LAFC.

Wild format that Miami doesn't get rewarded for winning the trophy last year too but Columbus (and América) do for winning separate competitions.

Hard to truly take it seriously until there are games in Mexico.

Just now, Digby said:

There's a long thing on MLSsoccer.com explaining the formulas of putting the groups together but I couldn't make any sense of it. Sure, why not.

Yeah I was JUST going through it- I like the nominal "hub" city concept for the Liga MX teams but it's still sorta baffling. I didn't hate watching these matches necessarily but it feels like such an unnecessary competition.

It seems the preseason Messi tour isnt going well. While Miami finally got their first preseason victory today in Hong Kong (and first victory since before the US Open Cup final in September), fans were angry. Fans attending the game started chanting for a refund, and kicked Messis head off a cardboard cutout. Why? Because Messi didnt play. He sat out due to injury. Now the game against Vissel Kobe in Tokyo has been removed from Apple and the game against Newells Old Boys in Fort Lauderdale has been promoted as the next and final preseason match. Guess they dont want the same thing to happen in Japan as what happened in Hong Kong.

• LOL 1

Signature intentionally left blank