North America Pro Soccer 2024

Brian in Boston

Suarez officially to Inter Miami is really going to put the Miami in MLS next year.

It'll break my heart when Nico Lodeiro signs there too, but I get it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I think MLS would be perfect at 24. Split into two 12 team conferences. You play everyone in your conference twice (22 games). You play the other conference once (12 games), alternating home and away on a yearly basis. 34 games total. The hard part is which 6 teams you get rid of?

6 hours ago, BottomlessPitt said:

I think MLS would be perfect at 24. Split into two 12 team conferences. You play everyone in your conference twice (22 games). You play the other conference once (12 games), alternating home and away on a yearly basis. 34 games total. The hard part is which 6 teams you get rid of?

What? Are you just randomly saying things off-topic that will never happen?🤨

• Like 1

MLS wants the money, so they will eventually go to 32 and when they go to 32 they will be like every other league and have "Vegas Fever" by putting a team in Las Vegas and their reason will be "because it has a great soccer history" when the real reason should be "We are in Vegas because everyone else is in Vegas."  Vegas Fever is contagious.  The NHL had it, the NFL had it, MLB has it now and soon both the NBA and MLS will have it.  

Ideally, 31 and 32 should be two of Indy, Louisville or Phoenix.  None of the two should be Las Vegas but we know it will be so the 32nd spot will be one of Indy, Louisville or Phoenix, with the other two possible if the MLS expands beyond 32.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

MLS wants the money, so they will eventually go to 32 and when they go to 32 they will be like every other league and have "Vegas Fever" by putting a team in Las Vegas and their reason will be "because it has a great soccer history" when the real reason should be "We are in Vegas because everyone else is in Vegas."  Vegas Fever is contagious.  The NHL had it, the NFL had it, MLB has it now and soon both the NBA and MLS will have it.  

Ideally, 31 and 32 should be two of Indy, Louisville or Phoenix.  None of the two should be Las Vegas but we know it will be so the 32nd spot will be one of Indy, Louisville or Phoenix, with the other two possible if the MLS expands beyond 32.  

I'm still disheartened to see that Sacramento, now, will probably never be in MLS.  I think Phoenix and one of Indy or Louisville happens at some point.  I agree with you on Las Vegas.

But back to Sacramento. I've been following long enough to remember when Rochester seemed like a shoe-in for MLS, but the owners of the Rhinos didn't want to join (a lot of valid reasons), primarily due to the single-ownership structure where the team could make more being non-MLS. The team would've struggled, but it might have kept the fans coming to (and finishing) their stadium. Being one of the first MLS teams with their own stadium would have been huge. They'd have become one of those 'regional' teams representing all of Western New York. They'd just need to hang on until around 2016. And having their own stadium and still being 'big league' probably keeps the fans with the team.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2023 at 12:53 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Orlando will play Calvary FC, but there are rumors that Calvary's match could get moved to Vancouver to minimize issues with frozen pitches. Would Hamilton get moved to Montreal, or do they have heaters under the turf?

An update to this, the Cavalry game has been moved to Victoria because of the frost concerns with the grass field. McMahon Stadium in Calgary (home of the CFL's Stampeders) doesn't have CONCACAF approved turf and Commonwealth Stadium up in Edmonton is already booked, so Victoria was deemed the best option.

I don't really follow the team but I have seen a little online that the fanbase is understandably not happy about it. I guess Cavalry never acknowledged any potential chance of the game being moved until the move was announced (then disabled replies on social media) and had been using the potential for priority pre-sale tickets to CONCACAF games as part of the season ticket renewal blast.

As for Hamilton, their turf is FIFA approved and the climate is typically warmer than Calgary so I guess they don't have the same concerns.

Sidenote probably more suited for the logos section: The name Cavalry FC bothers me. It's too close to Calgary to not be Calgary and it gets spelt wrong as the place where Jesus was crucified, like you in the post I quoted.

IbjBaeE.png

4 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

I'm still disheartened to see that Sacramento, now, will probably never be in MLS.  I think Phoenix and one of Indy or Louisville happens at some point.  I agree with you on Las Vegas.

But back to Sacramento. I've been following long enough to remember when Rochester seemed like a shoe-in for MLS, but the owners of the Rhinos didn't want to join (a lot of valid reasons), primarily due to the single-ownership structure where the team could make more being non-MLS. The team would've struggled, but it might have kept the fans coming to (and finishing) their stadium. Being one of the first MLS teams with their own stadium would have been huge. They'd have become one of those 'regional' teams representing all of Western New York. They'd just need to hang on until around 2016. And having their own stadium and still being 'big league' probably keeps the fans with the team.

it should be Louisville because it would make Louisville a major league city.  However, based on recent expansion history, the MLS probably won't add Phoenix Rising, Indy Eleven or Louisville City FC.  Instead it will be Phoenix FC, Indianapolis FC and FC Louisville.  Then USL fans will be enraged at the MLS, fearing that those three teams would fold and then demanding that the US Soccer Federation sanction the USL Championship as a Division 1 League to rival MLS.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, monkeypower said:

An update to this, the Cavalry game has been moved to Victoria because of the frost concerns with the grass field. McMahon Stadium in Calgary (home of the CFL's Stampeders) doesn't have CONCACAF approved turf and Commonwealth Stadium up in Edmonton is already booked, so Victoria was deemed the best option.

I don't really follow the team but I have seen a little online that the fanbase is understandably not happy about it. I guess Cavalry never acknowledged any potential chance of the game being moved until the move was announced (then disabled replies on social media) and had been using the potential for priority pre-sale tickets to CONCACAF games as part of the season ticket renewal blast.

As for Hamilton, their turf is FIFA approved and the climate is typically warmer than Calgary so I guess they don't have the same concerns.

Sidenote probably more suited for the logos section: The name Cavalry FC bothers me. It's too close to Calgary to not be Calgary and it gets spelt wrong as the place where Jesus was crucified, like you in the post I quoted.

Cavalry arent the only ones. Vancouver Whitecaps will also play their game in Victoria because BC Place is booked.

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

11 hours ago, GDAWG said:

it should be Louisville because it would make Louisville a major league city.  However, based on recent expansion history, the MLS probably won't add Phoenix Rising, Indy Eleven or Louisville City FC.  Instead it will be Phoenix FC, Indianapolis FC and FC Louisville.  Then USL fans will be enraged at the MLS, fearing that those three teams would fold and then demanding that the US Soccer Federation sanction the USL Championship as a Division 1 League to rival MLS.  

I understand your point, of course, but these things don't happen just because MLS doesn't want USL brands. It depends  on which local groups are chosen as local owners.  The St. Louis, San Diego and Charlotte franchises were granted to majority ownership groups who weren't in any way connected to the USL clubs or, in the case of St. Louis, a USL owner who only held a minority stake in the MLS bid. 

By contrast, Minnesota United was able to carry its brand through from USL, as was Cincinnati and Orlando. (Not to mention, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver and Montreal before them.)

If the existing USL ownership groups for Louisville, Phoenix or Indianapolis put in an expansion bid and are chosen, I can't see any reason why MLS would object to those brands joining the league. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I understand your point, of course, but these things don't happen just because MLS doesn't want USL brands. It depends  on which local groups are chosen as local owners.  The St. Louis, San Diego and Charlotte franchises were granted to majority ownership groups who weren't in any way connected to the USL clubs or, in the case of St. Louis, a USL owner who only held a minority stake in the MLS bid. 

By contrast, Minnesota United was able to carry its brand through from USL, as was Cincinnati and Orlando. (Not to mention, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver and Montreal before them.)

If the existing USL ownership groups for Louisville, Phoenix or Indianapolis put in an expansion bid and are chosen, I can't see any reason why MLS would object to those brands joining the league. 

I hope so because it would be stupid to see these teams fold because MLS already has another team in those cities. 

Range of incoming MLS coaching changes is interesting. You've got Charlotte hiring an English Championship/Premiership guy, RBNY hiring a Bundesliga guy, Revolution hiring an MLS guy but one with title pedigree. (And also the forever on again/off again relationship between Klopas and Chicago.) (And no use trying to explain Phil Neville in PDX.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 minute ago, Digby said:

Range of incoming MLS coaching changes is interesting. You've got Charlotte hiring an English Championship/Premiership guy, RBNY hiring a Bundesliga guy, Revolution hiring an MLS guy but one with title pedigree. (And also the forever on again/off again relationship between Klopas and Chicago.) (And no use trying to explain Phil Neville in PDX.)

And Montreal has hired Columbus's reserve team coach. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

PRO  CBA expires on January 15 and apparently negotiations with PSRA are not going well with a work stoppage imminent.  This could mean we could possibly have replacement referees to start the season. May I suggest Matt Miazga offering to mediate negotiations by bringing pizza to the table?

• LOL 1

Signature intentionally left blank