North America Pro Soccer 2024

Brian in Boston

In October FC Cincinnatis Matt Miazga had his referee incident and MLS still has yet to release the security tape footage despite public outcry for it. Now in a tape we dont want to see, Aaron Boupendza is now wanted in his native Gabon and could face a fine and 5 years in prison for being in a sex tape (apparently thats illegal there).

Ive never been impressed with Boupendza. He has a hard time controlling the ball when its passed to him. Plus his issues of not reporting on time multiple time to both FCC and the Gabon national team. While he has scored goals, he has been a major distraction to the team.

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

Gavin Wilkinson, last seen being run out of Portland due to his complicity in one coach's sexual abuse and his conveniently accidental cover-up of a player's wifebeating, is the newly hired sporting director at Sporting Kansas City. 

https://www.sportingkc.com/news/peter-vermes-named-sporting-kc-chief-soccer-officer-and-manager-gavin-wilkinson-  

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

Hopefully its just a new logo. I think NWSL has already been around long enough that its made a name for itself and is recognizable by many.

I hope so too, but if they drop the "W" from NWSL, I can't blame them if they did.  Jessica Berman took over a league that had like a scandal every week that involved inappropriate conduct from former coaches.  Every time the NWSL was in the news before Berman took over, it was because the league was involved in some sort of scandal from one of their former coaches.  Since Berman has come on board, whenever there was news about the league, it has been positive, whether it was the new TV deal they just signed or expansion teams.  

I wouldn't rule out a rebrand to "National Soccer League" in that case.  

I've always thought "NWSL" is a clunky acronym that doesn't roll off the tongue at all, but that train long ago left the station. All the women's leagues want to use the "W" and it's a shame that, as a letter, it's a lot of syllables to add in there. W-League would've been nice but now the USL one's got that. Considering the long history of women's soccer leagues folding after a few years, it's probably best to keep the NWSL name and lean into it being relatively stable at this point, but upgrading the branding to something more distinct and less low-rent would be a win in itself.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

All the women's leagues want to use the "W" and it's a shame that, as a letter, it's a lot of syllables to add in there.

There's two US based women's pro volleyball leagues starting this year. Neither league has women's/W in it's name. Pro Volleyball Federation (PVF) and League One Volleyball (LOVB)

Hotter Than July > Thriller

18 hours ago, Digby said:

I've always thought "NWSL" is a clunky acronym that doesn't roll off the tongue at all, but that train long ago left the station. All the women's leagues want to use the "W" and it's a shame that, as a letter, it's a lot of syllables to add in there. W-League would've been nice but now the USL one's got that. Considering the long history of women's soccer leagues folding after a few years, it's probably best to keep the NWSL name and lean into it being relatively stable at this point, but upgrading the branding to something more distinct and less low-rent would be a win in itself.

My only issue is I sometimes confuse it with the WSL in England. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

This is an interesting development. 

If MLS is serious about expansion into Vegas, I'd be surprised if Bautista has the kind of scratch to eat a $500M+ expansion fee, at least without diluting his position as the controlling shareholder.  And if MLS enters the market under a different name, Bautista might be looking for a new city for his club. 

On 1/16/2024 at 12:56 PM, gosioux76 said:

This is an interesting development. 

If MLS is serious about expansion into Vegas, I'd be surprised if Bautista has the kind of scratch to eat a $500M+ expansion fee, at least without diluting his position as the controlling shareholder.  And if MLS enters the market under a different name, Bautista might be looking for a new city for his club. 

And they will be known as "Vegas FC" or "FC Las Vegas"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Digby said:

Orlando's stadium is being renamed to Inter&Co Stadium. I am losing my mind at how dumb this is. What a time to be alive.

https://www.orlandocitysc.com/news/inter-co-naming-rights-orlando-soccer-specific-stadium 

I get its business but partnering with a company for stadium naming rights that has the same name as your rival is just bad promotion.

• Applause 1

USL Championship expansion club Rhode Island FC has reportedly signed Cameroonian forward Albert Dikwa - the league’s reigning MVP and Golden Boot winner - to a multi-year contract.

The signing of Dikwa, who played for the Pittsburgh Riverhounds the past three seasons , is expected to be formally announced tomorrow.

This latest Revolution stadium push has gone quiet since the attempt to get first-level state approval got dropped at the end of the last state house session, but the current governor has been low-key signaling support to resolve that via a standalone bill, so it's not dead, just in stasis with a renewed push coming in next session. It would be very weird but funny to me if the Krafts never managed to get state support for a stadium when it was a long line of Kraft's milquetoast corporate country-club bros as governor, but the progressive lesbian manages to help make it happen.

I'm increasingly suspecting that the Boston NWSL team will end up there too, if they ever exist at all. I have a bad feeling about the Franklin Park stadium project.

(Also the Revs quietly announced Richie Williams as their new Revs II coach, which is interesting as the rumor mill has suspected him of being the one whose HR complaints got Bruce Arena forced out by the league. But nobody really knows.)

On 1/11/2024 at 3:51 PM, Digby said:

Gavin Wilkinson, last seen being run out of Portland due to his complicity in one coach's sexual abuse and his conveniently accidental cover-up of a player's wifebeating, is the newly hired sporting director at Sporting Kansas City. 

https://www.sportingkc.com/news/peter-vermes-named-sporting-kc-chief-soccer-officer-and-manager-gavin-wilkinson-  

And he's gone

https://www.sportingkc.com/news/statement-from-principal-owner-michael-illig

• Like 1