2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

19 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

it has so very little to do with the name.

I mean this is just wrong. Ever hear of the Roman Senate? All of the Roman imagery is based on that. They aren't going to make their logo an old guy in a suit

• Applause 2
  • Yawn 1

6 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

No one seems to have a problem with the Washington Nationals using an old logo, despite only getting a team back in 2005.

Can you cite your sources on this one?

• LOL 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Ark said:

I mean this is just wrong. Ever hear of the Roman Senate? All of the Roman imagery is based on that. They aren't going to make their logo an old guy in a suit

So, just do a guy in a toga and not a Centurion, by that logic. I vastly prefer the O and the barberpole stripes. I could be convinced to swap out the O for a better version of this piece.

spacer.png

The Peace Tower would be the perfect element to incorporate into a Sens logo. It actually ties into the name and doesn’t go for relatively unrelated imagery.

Ultimately, it’s just my opinion and I can accept that it’s entirely a hot take.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

You have to think of the team branding as something that can be marketable, especially to kids... the Roman thing at least offers something that can spark the imagination somewhat. You go to games, people dress up like centurions... the mascot is Spartacat... it's at least... something? It might be hard to sell kids on peace tower logo, or a big O (and have to explain to them it's not a big zero).

I don't know guys, I just like the centurion. It's a cool logo. I know the senate link is a bit of a stretch, but there's nothing Spartan-related about Michigan State University, why do they get a pass? 🤣

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ricky_Roby said:

You have to think of the team branding as something that can be marketable, especially to kids... the Roman thing at least offers something that can spark the imagination somewhat. You go to games, people dress up like centurions... the mascot is Spartacat... it's at least... something? It might be hard to sell kids on peace tower logo, or a big O (and have to explain to them it's not a big zero).

I don't know guys, I just like the centurion. It's a cool logo. I know the senate link is a bit of a stretch, but there's nothing Spartan-related about Michigan State University, why do they get a pass? 🤣

Something I don't tell many people: When I was a teen I thought the extremely cheesy Roman themed fan fest they had the first night at the”The Palladium” was pretty cool 

• Applause 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I mean, the Peace Tower is a pretty cool building.

spacer.png

It’s like how the San Antonio Missions used the Alamo as a logo or how the Rangers used the Statue of Liberty. You can make it work. 

Oh absolutely, there is a way to make a design like that work. The NYR statue of liberty head is, imho, the greatest alt logo ever made. Partly because it's a great design, yes, but also because it just does exactly what an alt logo should do: it retains elements of the main brand, compliments it, doesn't distract from it, but gives it a bit more local flair. It's undeniably new york. Sens need an alt logo that does for Ottawa what the statie of liberty head did for the NY Rangers.

It's just too bad I think the tram just doesn't see the peace tower as something that will sell jerseys (Even though these are the same guys who made the Reverse Retro 2.0 that is still on clearance racks everywhere and barely sold it was so boring, so maybe they aren't the best judges of what sells jerseys...)

I liked Spartacat_12's idea of using the honour guard in a design, they're already in the Sens colours, and it would give an alt jersey some more local flavour.

EDIT: This might be heresy, but they should do a peace tower logo and keep the aged, green roof. Even if it's not a team colour,  don't care, it's cool and a trademark of the building - put it on there. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I mean, the Peace Tower is a pretty cool building.

spacer.png

It’s like how the San Antonio Missions used the Alamo as a logo or how the Rangers used the Statue of Liberty. You can make it work. 

Also, the warriors mainly using the bay bridge as the focal point of their identity.

2483115_nxeosjolm2c981k_full.jpeg

1 hour ago, Morgan33 said:

IMO the Senators haven't had a single good uniform since the conclusion of the 2006/07 season. 

I respectfully disagree. While I think they could make some improvements, the 2021-present primaries are very good and the various barber pole alternates have all looked pretty good. I don't think they should go barber pole full-time as they're not the same team as the original Senators but they still look good as alternates.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

42 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

I respectfully disagree. While I think they could make some improvements, the 2021-present primaries are very good and the various barber pole alternates have all looked pretty good. I don't think they should go barber pole full-time as they're not the same team as the original Senators but they still look good as alternates.

Replacing the gold with Khaki just kills the current set for me.  That and the half-assed striping configuration that isn't true to the originals.  Everything about that rollout felt rushed, even if it was a significant improvement over what they used before.

Not a fan of any of the =O= jerseys either, especially the one with the silver accents 🤢.

19 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

I really, really hope that the trend for nicknames as the main jersey logo stays dead and Ottawa and Tampa Bay resist any temptation to bring it back.

Tell that to the Hurricanes and their joke of an away jersey....

Sebastian Aho Named One of First Six Players for Finland's 4 Nations  Face-Off Team - Carolina Hurricanes News, Analysis and More

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

17 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

And going barberpole would amount to nothing more than "remember when the team was good 100 years ago."  So what?  At least the roman theme gave them a unique color scheme and a more interesting logo than a single letter on two stripes...

This comment seems a bit reductive. The city was home to one of the league's founding franchises, which happened to be the first dynasty in league history, and is also the birthplace of the Stanley Cup. There's a lot more to work with there compared to relying on '90s nostalgia.

Like I mentioned, the team seems afraid to lean too far into the Roman branding, so we basically have the main logo, a lion mascot, and some Styrofoam gladiator helmets.

I think you'd need to add more substance to the =O= to make it work as a primary logo. This old concept has always intrigued me.

spacer.png

14 hours ago, Ricky_Roby said:

If they called the expansion team the Ottawa Spartans or Ottawa Gladiators then I'd be more accepting of the logo. Instead they named the team after a historic franchise, then completely pivoted to logos that had nothing to do with said franchise.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

If they called the expansion team the Ottawa Spartans or Ottawa Gladiators then I'd be more accepting of the logo. Instead they named the team after a historic franchise, then completely pivoted to logos that had nothing to do with said franchise.

Probably because they needed to take potential merch sales into consideration, and an O is a bit limited, but with a Roman theme justified with the Senators name, you have a lot more potential, along with a pretentious latin motto, which is the one thing I'm surprised the Sens never did.

58 minutes ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Probably because they needed to take potential merch sales into consideration, and an O is a bit limited, but with a Roman theme justified with the Senators name, you have a lot more potential, along with a pretentious latin motto, which is the one thing I'm surprised the Sens never did.

It was 100% about merchandising . It was the early '90s and new teams like the Sharks and Charlotte Hornets were killing it on merch sales, so there was a desire to make things more kid-friendly. This article outlining how the logo came to be confirms as much.

The team was slated to take the ice in the fall of 1992, and with puck drop fast approaching, Milchard was tasked with designing a small logo that would appear on the shoulders of the Senators jerseys. But the British artist had other plans.

“As I started looking into it, I realized our logo wasn’t really a strong one,” said Milchard from his home on Vancouver Island.

Firestone and his group were using a basic logo that featured the word “Ottawa” with a silhouette of the Parliament Buildings embedded in it.

“It was similar to the Washington Capitals,” said Milchard. “I said ‘let’s try a different approach.’ That was met with a bit of opposition because they had already established that as their identity. They used it for their marketing campaigns and sold quite a bit of merchandise with that logo.”

At the time, expansion teams were coming into the league with exciting and creative branding. The San Jose Sharks logo was a cartoon shark biting a hockey stick with bold, teal colouring.

“With a hockey team, it’s not the city that is the focus. It’s the name of the team,” said Milchard.

The logo's designer wasn't from Canada, and likely didn't even know anything about the old Senators teams. 

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I think you'd need to add more substance to the =O= to make it work as a primary logo. This old concept has always intrigued me.

spacer.png

Yeah, I've seen that concept floating around - it's pretty sweet. I'd drop the Stanley Cup part at the bottom - I don't think any team should be that.... bold, let's say... as to include the symbol of the championship trophy in their identity mark. But other than that, I think that's a solid look. Maybe make the Peace Tower in the middle gold? That might pop a bit.

Again, for me it's a great alternate. Stick that on a barberpole jersey and she's a beauty - but I'm still happy my basement has loads of cool centurion stuff with the 2D logo back. To me, that will always be the look of the Senators.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The logo's designer wasn't from Canada, and likely didn't even know anything about the old Senators teams. 

He moved to Canada in his teens and went to design school in Canada.

Not sure why you need to be born in Canada to design a hockey logo.

And the thing is…it was accepted as the logo by the smart hockey guys who must have known all the history

• LOL 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.