Spring Football Concept: AAFL Project

WideRight

9 votes in (very early) and the numbers are:

4  Salt Lake City

3  Sacramento

1 San Jose & San Antonio

Will the California votes consolidate around 1 city or split the vote?  Will Utah prevail over two big population states?  Will San Antonio, Dallas, or Austin make a late push for the Lone Star State?  

This one could be another close race with several cities emerging as contenders.   So far, the vote seems to be to avoid a 2nd NFL city in the West, but it is still early.   

With With 17 votes in, we have an 8-4-3-1 split, which is a 4-vote gap.  

Congratulations to Salt Lake City, Utah!  The Beehive State will have a franchise in the AAFL.  Salt Lake City will join San Diego, Portland, and Houston in the inaugural season of the AAFL.  Sacramento put up a good fight, but San Jose pulled off some of the California votes, leaving them too far behind to catch the SLC.  

So, now the tough part, what should a franchise in Salt Lake City be called. We are going to try for something a bit more region-specific than the comically misplaced Jazz (I know they started in N'awlins, so I get it, but really?).   We have four contenders for an SLC identity, ranging from the historical frontier to a mysterious mountain creature to the state's signature bee obsession.  So, let's take a look and see who joins the Destroyers, Apollos, and Chinook in the Western Division. 

SALT LAKE CITY PIONEERS

The rugged Rocky Mountain region has never been a place for the faint of heart.  Pioneers captures the spirit of the frontier and the never say die quality of this AAFL football club.  The logo depicts a frontiersman, complete with a coonskin cap, framed by an arrowhead, which also pays tribute to Utah's 5 national parks.  The colors are bold: bright red, black, silver, and tanned leather.  

spacer.png

SALT LAKE CITY SPIKES

The West was opened up by the railroads and one of the most historic rail moments in the West was the joining of the Pacific to the Plains with the historic golden spike, symbolizing the joining of the two coasts and everywhere in between.  The Salt Lake City Spikes pay honor to that bold spirit, their wordmark logo contains the image of the famed golden spike that joined the two railways in Utah.  Set against a vivid green background with black as a bonding color.  This club is ready to strike out in the frontier of spring football. 

spacer.png

SALT LAKE CITY SWARM

Bees have long been a symbol of the state of Utah.  Industrious, single-minded, and always working as a team to defeat even much larger foes, the symbol of the swarm is one of unity, purpose, and hard work.  The Swarm design features a bold black S made up of hundreds of individual bees, all set egainst 3 honeycombs, all against a blue-green background.  The living monogram of bees is combined with a honeycomb motif which instantly connects the team to the rich symbolism used in the Utah flag and throughout the state. spacer.png

SALT LAKE CITY SASQUATCH

A true legend of the Rockies, the Sasquatch is mysterious, powerful, and a fierce defender of its territory.  The SLC Sasquatch will bring that same spirit to defending their home turf.  While the main logo features a full figure Squatch, ready to wreak havok, the helmet shows the face of the enigmatic beast set in silver and white against the deep "mountain purple" helmet.  The team will feature the deep purple and silver combo, with only occasional pops of bright yellow.  

spacer.png

There you have it, four unique takes on Utah and the Salt Lake City area.  Will it be the legend of the Squatch, the history of pioneers, the golden spike that helped Utah grow, or the bees which symbolize the energy and sticktoitiveness of Utah's residents?

Polls are open now, as always we are going to go with the 2-day or 4-vote lead rule to determine a winner.  And, look, no navy blue anywhere to be seen.  

Looks like I'm too late in the team #7 voting process, but I would have strongly urge a vote for Honolulu because of the novel ways the design can go, naming tie-ins with existing teams and the implicit suggestion, if we can have a team play in Hawai'i, why not Tokyo or Sydney?  Dream bigger in the Spring, or at least next door to Mexico City or Vancouver.  I don't think Salt Lake City, Sacramento or San Jose have that kind of league-altering what's the phrase, paradigm shift?  I know Hawai'i would be a tough hill to climb at first, but why not?  (I know, you needed a convenient vehicle to recycle some good designs for reconsideration)

Here were my ideas on mascot/team names, 

1. We can go traditional like Honolulu Tikis or more regional embrace of Hawai'i Tsunami/Typhoon, or a tribute to the beauty,  power and danger of the Pacific Ocean, as the Honolulu Blues (symbolizing the azure of the surrounding water and sharks lurking underneath the waves).   
  2. Then there's the more mystical side like Hawai'i Nightmarchers  or huakaʻi pō, spirits of dead tribal warriors marching in mid-air, not touching ground or water, towards long forgotten battle sites or other sacred spaces.  It is said if you dare stare at them or in defiance of the spiritual origins, that person invites a violent death in their future.  Beware of the  huakaʻi pō!
  3. Of course for a different twist in team branding, we can go with mascot first then location like (Dynamo Riga or Lokomotiv Yaroslavl) make this team set apart from the rest.  My my first thought was calling them Pele Hawai'i for the "the goddess of volcanoes and fire and the creator of the Hawaiian Islands."  She is the deity offended and bestow a curse on visitors take volcanic rocks home.  It brings an emphais of the power of the emerging Pacific Rim and the volcanic islands left in her wake , populated by the sea faring peoples of the Polynesian triangle many centuries in our past. 
  4. Lastly, I would like to submit:  Makau Hawai'i.  The makau or fish hook in Polynesian culture has many meanings:  symbolizes "safe passage over water" or brings good fortune or strength to the one who wears it.  The god Maui used one named "Mānaiakalani to hook the islands together in an effort to unite them."  The many shapes and forms of the makau are intended to capture a variety of animals like a Portland Chinook or New Orleans Crawdad, which are no match to the power of the fish hook.  It's cultural significance with the Polynesian triangle is inextricable.  Like Powerful Maui before, the mighty Makau Hawai'i unites the league and take it places we hadn't dare to go and embodies the Aloha spirit, foreign to the less exotic outposts that were selected from our Mainland.

What do I know, I'm just an ideas guy, not the talented artist undertaking this grand experiment.  Salt Lake City is a safe choice, straight down the middle, fills a geographic hole in mountain west, but it's the vanilla to Hawaii's shaved ice.  Sorry I was too busy at work to make this appeal to the masses.  I just feel we left money on the table with such a quick hook for #7.

Mahalo for your consideration, but I guess the die has been casted.

spacer.png

• Like 2