UFL Houston Ramblers (Updated)

McQ

Following the recent announcement of the XFL and USFL merger into the UFL, it was decided to retain the Houston Roughnecks identity (RIP Houston Gamblers). A suggestion on Reddit, made somewhat jokingly, proposed merging the Roughnecks and Gamblers into the 'Ramblers'. Seizing this as an opportunity to create a distinct identity for the new league, I explored what a refreshed look for the new Houston team might entail.

This new identity merges elements from both the Roughnecks and Gamblers. It adopts the red, gold, and black color scheme of the Gamblers, incorporated into an updated jersey design that honors the original Roughnecks jerseys. The primary logo is a blend of the Roughnecks' 'H' and the Gamblers' 'G', unified with the iconic Texas star. As a secondary logo, I selected a wandering wolf, as I’ve always wanted to design a professional football team identity featuring a wolf. Ideally, I would have preferred a primary wolf's head logo for the helmet, but for now, the 'H' logo suffices.

This project was just a fun exercise in developing a professional sports identity. I'm not entirely convinced that creating a new identity for the Houston team is necessary, nor am I sure that 'Ramblers' is a more suitable name than 'Gamblers' or 'Roughnecks'. This is my first attempt at crafting a custom identity in years, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

For this design, I utilized Gonzo's Football Helmet and SportsTemplates' Football Jersey template. The font used is Octosquares.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

The H with star logo does not do much for me.  I like the Wolf, but what if it was running through the H, perhaps leaping over the crossbar?   I like the idea of a mix of roughnecks and gamblers, but the design feels a bit generic because the wolf is not used much and it is basically an H and a star as other symbols.  I think there is great potential here, but it needs to go a bit futher to set it apart. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

I’m confused. Why does this matter within the context of the concept?

On 1/8/2024 at 10:45 AM, McQ said:

Following the recent announcement of the XFL and USFL merger into the UFL, it was decided to retain only the Houston Gamblers (RIP Houston Roughnecks)

He said they were retaining the Gamblers and not the Roughnecks. This is the opposite of what actually happened.

• Facepalm 1
  • Eyeroll 1

24 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Again, in the context of the concept, not exactly relevant.

He was prefacing the concept with what actually (incorrectly) happened. His statement of the Gamblers identity being retained was not a concept, but rather the concept was in response to what identity he (again, incorrectly) believed was being retained.

• Eyeroll 1

21 minutes ago, McCall said:

He was prefacing the concept with what actually (incorrectly) happened. His statement of the Gamblers identity being retained was not a concept, but rather the concept was in response to what identity he (again, incorrectly) believed was being retained.

Not that deep, but go ahead.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 10:23 PM, McCall said:

You aware that it was the Roughnecks identity that stayed (with the Gamblers staff and roster), right?

Good catch, thanks. I had that mixed up in my head.

• Like 1

Created the wolf head logo and incorporated it into the uniform design to hopefully give the overall look more character. I may continue to try and refine the new logo and uniforms a bit but I am pretty happy with how everything looks so far. Appreciate all the feedback thus far.

spacer.png

1cUZhHd.jpg8Ubywkf.jpg

spacer.png

zTfxXDq.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Love 1

• McQ changed the title to UFL Houston Ramblers (Updated)

These are really great, I love the update in particular. I know that you're trying to emulate the original Roughnecks jerseys with the small notch where the side panels meet the sleeves, but I think that if you lined them up then this concept would be pretty much perfect. I always interpreted that as an imperfection in the original template rather than a design feature. 

• Love 1

spacer.png