2024 NFL Changes

10 minutes ago, dont care said:

Those aren’t monochrome, and you’d be kidding yourself if you didn’t say they’d look even better with different pants

Yes they are, and they'd probably look better with different pants (although I'm not sold on the Colts).

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, fouhy12 said:

USP-NFL_-Preseason-Chicago-Bears-at-Indi

USATSI_21276658-1.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=

These White/White combos don't suck at all...in large part because the teams wear White helmets.

I always advised my clients:  White helmet = White pants.  If you wear a dark pant under a White helmet & White jersey, you're just going to have a very unbalanced, bottom-heavy look.  The exception was teams that had a very light color that they wanted to use for a pant, such as the Chargers with Yellow pants or the Buccaneers with Creamsicle Orange pants, or the Dolphins in Aqua pants.  Even then, it's slightly unbalanced and just doesn't look as good as White/White/White/contrasting sock.  

Examples of this being a bad combination:

colts_bluepants1995.jpg

96bae345-5972-40f5-985e-cc87eb86890e-USA

• Like 6
  • Dislike 4
  • Eyeroll 3

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Well, if you want to call it something else that’s up to you, but I think for a lot of us, saying “monochrome” is short hand for anytime the pants and jerseys are the same (non white) color… regardless of the socks.  That’s how I’ve always used the term, and will continue to do so.  

Put it this way… when the pants and jerseys are the same color, but the socks are a different color, the uniform sucks really bad.  And when the pants and jerseys are the same color, and so are the socks, the uniform sucks really really bad.  Not too much reason to split hairs.  

I will actually make an exception for looks with contrasting socks. Or at least one: Panthers with black jerseys and pants and blue socks. That’s my favorite look for them. 

3 hours ago, rfraser85 said:

I'm trying to remember if there was a term for that style (jersey and pants match, but socks contrast). The term that comes to mind is unitard (uniform +leotard) or clean if the jersey and pants are white. Most of us know the jargon, but it would help to have a distinction.

I dunno. I feel like a lot of the jargon is interchangeable to an extent. 

48 minutes ago, dont care said:

Those aren’t monochrome, and you’d be kidding yourself if you didn’t say they’d look even better with different pants

To me, the Jags with teal jerseys and pants and black socks look much better than with teal jerseys and black pants and socks, or teal jerseys and white pants and socks, or even teal jerseys and socks with black pants. White pants and black socks would look better - that’s their OG combo and isn’t worn enough anymore - but I would argue that the combo pictured is among their better ones. Definitely better than anything involving plain white socks. 

• Like 1

In quickly trying to digest this new 3rd helmet rule, the last line of the policy seems to be the most significant:

"Each alternate helmet color must be tied to a specific optional uniform and cannot be mixed/matched with primary uniforms or mixed/matched with another optional uniform."

So, for example, if the Lions debut new uniforms, they could do something like this:

1.  Primary (New Home/Away) + Primary Helmet
2.  Classic (Barry Sanders or Thanksgiving) + Classic Helmet
3.  Color Rush + Color Rush Helmet

Or, the Jets can now have a Green Helmet for their home/away Sack Exchange uniforms, a White helmet for a Namath throwback, and a Black helmet for Color Rush.   

This may not be as horrible as it originally sounds.

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

In quickly trying to digest this new 3rd helmet rule, the last line of the policy seems to be the most significant:

"Each alternate helmet color must be tied to a specific optional uniform and cannot be mixed/matched with primary uniforms or mixed/matched with another optional uniform."

So, for example, if the Lions debut new uniforms, they could do something like this:

Or, the Jets can now have a Green Helmet for their home/away Sack Exchange uniforms, a White helmet for a Namath throwback, and a Black helmet for Color Rush.   

the lions already have throwback helmets? their also gray.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, udubfan19 said:

the lions already have throwback helmets? their also gray.

Thank you for correcting me...my Jets example would be the better example.  This new rule allows for a new physical 3rd helmet which can be a different color.  So the Lions can keep the Silver, keep the Blue, and add...Black?  White?  Oof. 

Unless the NFL says you can only have 3 total looks in helmets...which is probably how they'd enforce the rule.  That would mean the Lions could have a primary look on Silver, a throwback look on Silver, and then a Blue or Black or White as the alt. 

Otherwise, a team could make multiple looks out of just decal changes on one color shell and have more than 3 helmet looks.  

My guess is that the Lions will have 2 shells, but 3 looks (Primary Silver, Classic Silver, some other color for its Color Rush/Alt).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

I don't think any of these uniforms suck really bad. 

USP-NFL_-Preseason-Chicago-Bears-at-Indi

USATSI_21276658-1.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=

bengals-chiefs3001_xr1ofh1yu307z27xnj83o

Heck, I'll even throw these in there.

01hf2n857nnd9ye13w0r.jpg

I specifically said “non white”… so no, I don’t think those first three suck. 

However, the teal on teal most definitely suck. True, they’d suck even harder with teal socks, but still… they suck.  

• Like 3
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Wait… after only one year the NFL has already watered down their alternate helmet rules.   

Shocking.  Who could’ve predicted it.  

You. You predicted it.

• Like 9

It's where I sit.

27 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Wait… after only one year the NFL has already watered down their alternate helmet rules.   

Shocking.  Who could’ve predicted it.  

We've arrived at the slippery slope some of us have been warning about...and the NFL has dived head first over the edge, prodded by Nike. 

It won't stop at allowing a 3rd helmet...every team is going to become Oregon.

In a few years the NFL will announce they're allowing teams to have a 26th helmet...🤢

• LOL 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, HOOVER said:

Here's another one:

Eagles

Midnight Green: primary

Black: alternate

Kelly Green: throwback

I wonder something else: Will the use of non-primary jerseys increase now? Last I checked, it maxed out at three in the regular season.

• Like 1

Just now, rfraser85 said:

Here's another one:

Eagles

Midnight Green: primary

Black: alternate

Kelly Green: throwback

I wonder something else: Will the use of non-primary jerseys increase now? Last I checked, it maxed out at three in the regular season.

We simply cannot rule out the Eagles mothballing the black jersey and busting these bad boys out-

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5
  • Hurl 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Wow. Can't say I'm surprised at the news, but hoped it would be a long time before it would happen. Oh NFL, you never cease to surprise us. What a slippery slope it was in exchange for the return of so many Throwbacks.

When I saw the news, I instantly thought of @oldschoolvikings. He's been warning us for years that if the one helmet rule were to ever be overturned, things would lead to this.

I'll say that it's good that Primary Uniforms still require the Primary Helmet, but that's bound to change soon at this current rate. Over/under on three years by the time it's a free-for-all on mixing and matching Helmets and Jerseys.

• Like 1

da0Lbhs.png

The way the rule is written makes it seem like the Saints have to revert from this nasty design:

spacer.png

…back to this beauty

spacer.png

A major win, if true. And perhaps they reclassify an all black design as Color Rush if they want to keep the black helmet, similar to what the Panthers did. I don’t see any reason the current Color Rush can’t stick around strictly as a throwback, perhaps with period appropriate black striped socks. It’s more just reshuffling the classifications than anything else.

• Like 6