24 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Carlos Estevez is yet another example of why nothing you do in a city where nobody cares and the games have no pressure matters one bit once you get into a pennant race in a place where there's expectations.  Just because guys can rack up great states for the Angels or other loser teams doesn't mean that they're any good or of any value to the game.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Carlos Estevez is yet another example of why nothing you do in a city where nobody cares and the games have no pressure matters one bit once you get into a pennant race in a place where there's expectations.  Just because guys can rack up great states for the Angels or other loser teams doesn't mean that they're any good or of any value to the game.

He blew his first save in 20 opportunities. 

Lighten up, Francis.

It's where I sit.

SoxWatch:

They lost in 13 to the Angels. With the ghost runner, I don't even know how it takes anyone that long to do anything. Six more for the record, three with the Padres next. As the Hawk would say, don't stop now, boys! eeeeeyes!

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

He blew his first save in 20 opportunities. 

Lighten up, Francis.

Technically a "hold", but yYou're going by official stats, which is fair for someone that doesn't watch him on a regular basis.  But he's been pedestrian at best (should out to Courtney Barnett) after having some absurd scoreless streak  playing for a meaningless team in front of 50 people that don't really care.  He's just another guy that hadn't experienced playing games that count in front of people that care (albeit last night was in front of a very modest crowd for a team that literally clinched its division... so it's debatable how much they care there.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5773947/2024/09/19/white-sox-failure-worst-season-history/

This thing is a QUOTE FACTORY. Good glimpse into why they're so bad. Jerry Reinsdorf has the players flying in a small, old plane. They have no analytics, which explains the line "balls just seem to fall for other teams and not for us" quote from the article shared a couple days ago - the White Sox players aren't standing in the right place! Vague coaching, simple gameplans like "throw ground balls" rather than specific points of attack against individual hitters. 

Even when they accidentally put together a good team a few years ago they blew it by hiring Tony La Russa and it was still dark times. This quote by Kenny Williams made me laugh, "I don’t yet have a way to talk about that period of time because it takes me to a bad place, and it will take me from the person I aspire to be.”

And then there's this:

"Making matters worse: Because of MLB’s new anti-tanking measures, Chicago could set a new record for baseball losses and still pick 10th in next year’s draft."

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA. 

I feel bad for White Sox fans, but this is tremendous content. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

10 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

SoxWatch:

They lost in 13 to the Angels. With the ghost runner, I don't even know how it takes anyone that long to do anything. Six more for the record, three with the Padres next. As the Hawk would say, don't stop now, boys! eeeeeyes!

It's like the baseball equivalent of the Bengals-Dolphins game in 2019 where the loser got Joe Burrow. Bengals were down 35-19 with 30 seconds to go. Then I watched in horror as the Bengals scored a TD, two point conversion, recovered an onside kick, scored another TD on a pass from the 25 with no time on the clock, and then another two point conversion to force overtime. Dolphins won on a field goal at the final gun after both teams spent the overtime tripping over their own butts. I will never forget it. 

• LOL 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Sport said:

This quote by Kenny Williams made me laugh, "I don’t yet have a way to talk about that period of time because it takes me to a bad place, and it will take me from the person I aspire to be.”

I miss Kenny Williams. Now that every general manager is just an Ivy league MBA, we don't have figures like him anymore, just this blustery goober who lived his entire life just going on vibes. He signed players because he thought they seemed like cool guys. He got his job because he seemed like a cool guy. And you'd think "oh, well, getting rid of him must have made them better," no, it made them significantly worse!

The part about inducing ground balls sounds like textbook La Russa, though, back from when the mid-2000s Cardinals would sign other teams' failed fifth starters who got non-tendered for injuring themselves in skateboarding accidents and then turn them into borderline all-stars just by having them lob sinkers all day. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, Sport said:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5773947/2024/09/19/white-sox-failure-worst-season-history/

This thing is a QUOTE FACTORY. Good glimpse into why they're so bad. Jerry Reinsdorf has the players flying in a small, old plane. They have no analytics, which explains the line "balls just seem to fall for other teams and not for us" quote from the article shared a couple days ago - the White Sox players aren't standing in the right place! Vague coaching, simple gameplans like "throw ground balls" rather than specific points of attack against individual hitters. 

Even when they accidentally put together a good team a few years ago they blew it by hiring Tony La Russa and it was still dark times. This quote by Kenny Williams made me laugh, "I don’t yet have a way to talk about that period of time because it takes me to a bad place, and it will take me from the person I aspire to be.”

And then there's this:

"Making matters worse: Because of MLB’s new anti-tanking measures, Chicago could set a new record for baseball losses and still pick 10th in next year’s draft."

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA. 

I feel bad for White Sox fans, but this is tremendous content. 

1b75b45a33285a89a8371be8a446ad06

Apple TV+ is simply brutal for baseball.  Listening to local audio, and it either cuts out and requires a restart, or the volume randomly jumps up 5 notches, then when there's commercials it jumps up again, only to go back to the game with the volume ridiculously low.

I've been adjusting my TV from 16-22, which with my soundbar, is a huge difference.  

But at least they're holding me captive since it's not convenient to flip during commercials.  Well done MLB!  F off.

Someone started a GoFundMe to buy out Taijuan Walker's contract.  Unfortunately, he still has $36M remaining, and they're only trying to raise $18M, which would be only one of the remaining two years.

Whatever.  It's up to $222.  Please find it in your heart to donate.  I cannot think of another cause in the world right now that needs money more.  Just send thoughts and prayers to whatever other charity you were going to donate to.  We need this.