2024 WNBA Thread

I'm an unapologetically bandwagoning Lynx fan (i.e., I pay attention at playoff time, particularly when they seem to be a contender).

Last night's game was one of the most amazing basketball games I've ever seen.

• Like 3

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I was surprised to see that the Liberty have never won a title, but apparently they had lots of chances in the past but could never capitalize. Good for them. I like to see teams winning their firsts.

On a side note, we have Breanna Stewart winning titles wherever she goes. I bet a lot of players would envy the opportunity of being on a Super Team in every point in their basketball career.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

I was surprised to see that the Liberty have never won a title, but apparently they had lots of chances in the past but could never capitalize. Good for them. I like to see teams winning their firsts.

On a side note, we have Breanna Stewart winning titles wherever she goes. I bet a lot of players would envy the opportunity of being on a Super Team in every point in their basketball career.

Same.  

for the first time since the 2011 Giants, a major league New York team has won a championship. surreal. I've never followed the Liberty particularly closely, but I'm beyond thrilled they've finally brought one home after waiting so long.

and before you ask, no, NYCFC do not count.

• Like 1

53Ocz8U.png

There were some...questionable calls down the stretch there in NY's favor. And people say the NBA is rigged! That said, Minny's offense was hideous especially in the OT and they really needed to take better advantage of Ionescu taking wild 30-foot shots to nowhere. Despite my physical revulsion toward New York teams winning anything, I will admit that I have a soft spot for OG franchises finally winning their first title. So they can have that and no more.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

There were some...questionable calls down the stretch there in NY's favor. And people say the NBA is rigged! That said, Minny's offense was hideous especially in the OT and they really needed to take better advantage of Ionescu taking wild 30-foot shots to nowhere. Despite my physical revulsion toward New York teams winning anything, I will admit that I have a soft spot for OG franchises finally winning their first title. So they can have that and no more.

Every team that loses missed its chances. 

But ignoring Breanna Stewart taking at least six steps before calling a shooting foul on clearly marginal contact, sending Stewart to the stripe to tie the game as time was about to expire was a really, really bad look. And having the YES network broadcasters calling the game for ESPN, the league commissioner wearing a dress with the NY skyline on it and the WNBA twitter account tweeting "The trophy is right where it belongs," is enough to make a Minnesota fan, or even a neutrals, start to think that they weren't even hiding their intent. 

It was a terrible way for the WNBA to end what was otherwise a transformational season. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Every team that loses missed its chances. 

But ignoring Breanna Stewart taking at least six steps before calling a shooting foul on clearly marginal contact, sending Stewart to the stripe to tie the game as time was about to expire was a really, really bad look. And having the YES network broadcasters calling the game for ESPN, the league commissioner wearing a dress with the NY skyline on it and the WNBA twitter account tweeting "The trophy is right where it belongs," is enough to make a Minnesota fan, or even a neutrals, start to think that they weren't even hiding their intent. 

It was a terrible way for the WNBA to end what was otherwise a transformational season. 

Arguably the league's highest profile season since year 1 and New York finally happens to win their first championship? I know they've been good and no one would have any doubt they could possibly could have won otherwise, but it can't help but appear suspicious with that many obvious coincidences.

• Like 1

The Lynx absolutely fell apart in OT. 6 turnovers to 0. No good shots taken. 

I don't like to blame the officials and I don't. Neither team played particularly well in the final game but the best team for the full season won.

But geez, WNBA get a PR intern. The commissioner wearing a dress with the NYC skyline and then the league tweeting "The trophy is where it belongs?" Learn from the questions of legitimacy the NBA used to get more frequently.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 hours ago, Burmy said:

And the WNBA players' union has officially opted out of the league CBA.

Looks like a strike/lockout is on the horizon...

"Opting out isn't just about bigger paychecks -- it's about claiming our rightful share of the business we've built, improving working conditions, and securing a future where the success we create benefits today's players and the generations to come. We're not just asking for a CBA that reflects our value; we're demanding it, because we've earned it."

This league doesn't actually make any money and has never stopped relying on underwriting from the NBA. They've made huge leaps this year thanks to Caitlin Clark and in spite of their reaction to Caitlin Clark, but they're still by and large a creation of sympathetic media coverage. I don't know what the players make relative to leaguewide revenue, they're entitled to 50 percent, but let's not gas ourselves up too much here.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

16 hours ago, Burmy said:

And the WNBA players' union has officially opted out of the league CBA.

Looks like a strike/lockout is on the horizon...

Unless there's a USFL situation on the horizon (and there isn't), what leverage do they think they have?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags