2024 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LIX

7 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Anyway, both the Bills and Giants looked fine in that era.

And they've both since changed their look and look nothing alike now. This isn't 1990 anymore.

Giants 24-10 Bills (Oct 4, 2015) Game Recap - ESPN

• Like 4

6uXNWAo.png

14 hours ago, ruttep said:

If you're gonna go full white helmet why not just go back to the original, superior version without the unnecessary extra outlines?

spacer.png

Would need to see a concept, but with the blue lightened and on a modern template (so it'd either have shoulder stars or numbers but not both.)

I've given up on the Cowboys.  I expect they'll tweak their navy every decade or so, but I think their home is their home until JJ dies (and even then, it'll just be taken over by his doofus son).  

In a way, giving up and accepting that the mismatch is how their uniforms are intentionally designed, and it just is what it is, is kind of a stress reliever.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I am anxious to see this live.  I can't tell if it's a filter, moisture, or if it's some kind of new finish, but these almost have a slightly iridescent look to them.  I actually wish they'd take the stripe off and let this beauty breathe.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

They've also already landed on Mike McCarthy as their head coach.  It's never too late to start making better decisions.

I hope I land on Mike McCarthy if I ever fall from a skyscraper. 

1 hour ago, HOOVER said:

I am anxious to see this live.  I can't tell if it's a filter, moisture, or if it's some kind of new finish, but these almost have a slightly iridescent look to them.  I actually wish they'd take the stripe off and let this beauty breathe.

It's the same helmet shell as last year, so we already know what'll look like...

It can look very matte blue: 

detroit-lions-new-honolulu-blue-helmet-2

ford-field-is-ready-for-the-game-tomorro

the-blue-helmets-can-stay-v0-ol91nenot8v

72142648007-01072024-detroit-lions-2.jpg

It can reflect too much artificial light and look washed out:

eizoskmrrwry6ycxvivq.jpg

01he1j7z41n7dznf4ws2.jpg

or it can get kinda weird and pick up a teal-ish hue:

screen-shot-2023-06-21-at-122835-pm.webp

d1714f15-9c79-41d0-8f73-3f601336c8bf-AP2

And we've already seen the new black alternate act the same way under the same conditions...

Matte (above)

Too reflective:

Lions-Uniforms-Football-12.jpg

Weirdly teal:

73377571007-04182024-detroit-lions-unifo

Personally, I think it sucks that the helmet looks best outdoors and in natural, diffused light and looks the worst under harsh artificial lighting for a team that plays inside a dome, but in real life the helmet finish is wonderful.

Just proof to illustrate that the look of the helmet really depends on the environment and lighting and that we should already know what to expect.

4 minutes ago, Chi-Tex_Kidd said:

Yes. Very.

And for good reason the Cowboys wear our Navy jerseys 3 times a year pretty much like an alt. What I believe should be done is to create a new helmet for us that has a royal blue stripes and logo for our home jersey worn about 12 times. Then an alt helmet with the navy stripes and logo worn with the navy jerseys 3 times. Finally one week for throwback and one week for CR. All of which is legal under NFL uni rules.

13 minutes ago, GFB said:

It's the same helmet shell as last year, so we already know what'll look like...

It can look very matte blue: 

detroit-lions-new-honolulu-blue-helmet-2

ford-field-is-ready-for-the-game-tomorro

the-blue-helmets-can-stay-v0-ol91nenot8v

72142648007-01072024-detroit-lions-2.jpg

It can reflect too much artificial light and look washed out:

eizoskmrrwry6ycxvivq.jpg

01he1j7z41n7dznf4ws2.jpg

or it can get kinda weird and pick up a teal-ish hue:

screen-shot-2023-06-21-at-122835-pm.webp

d1714f15-9c79-41d0-8f73-3f601336c8bf-AP2

And we've already seen the new black alternate act the same way under the same conditions...

Matte (above)

Too reflective:

Lions-Uniforms-Football-12.jpg

Weirdly teal:

73377571007-04182024-detroit-lions-unifo

Personally, I think it sucks that the helmet looks best outdoors and in natural, diffused light and looks the worst under harsh artificial lighting for a team that plays inside a dome, but in real life the helmet finish is wonderful.

Just proof to illustrate that the look of the helmet really depends on the environment and lighting and that we should already know what to expect.

Thanks, last year's helmet was forgettable to me - but only because of the logo and Gray mask. 

Seeing those photos again confirm that yeah, it looks great without a stripe, though I don't hate the new Black stripe.

Would have been a really nice look if these had remained stripeless and the logo was just a black silhouette on each side...no key lines, like the Bills 60's-early 70's helmet logo. 

Sorta like this but in Black:

i-made-alternate-helmets-of-the-alternat

2 hours ago, HOOVER said:

See, the Carolina Panthers missed out on this big time. I mean big time. This could have been their go to, but now Detroit got them beat. See, if the Panthers was an AFC team, they could have gotten away with it, but they are in the NFC, so nope!

4 hours ago, Colin56 said:

Yeah I'm glad these teams have moved away from each other and found their own unique looks. The royal blue and yellow is the Rams' now and the Chargers have gone black to powder which looks fantastic (the Chargers have never had a bad uniform). As for the Eagles and Jets, I do enjoy the Kelly green throwbacks but I am glad they just that, throwbacks, for this specific reason.

Me too. What the Chargers have now added with the golden yellow pants and white helmets work really well. They use the golden yellow pants for the way which is very nice touch and makes the team look great. The Rams need to bring back their golden yellow instead of that lemon highlighters nastiness. I am liking how the Chargers utilize their powder blue and golden yellow more than that dreaded navy blue they had. I like their 1985-1987 navy because the golden yellow was more prominent, but the 1988-2006 navy was dreadful. I mean I know by 1990 it was a symbol for Junior Seau, but less golden yellow made it look awful. Same with the Rams and that navy and those nasty beige colors they had. Oh god, just nasty. It looked dead. I can see why not many members like navy. Me either, but if it's pulled off on a certain team really well, then I have no problem with the color, but the overuse gets tiresome.

I liked the 1996 set the Eagles had and now with minor tweaks that shouldn't even be there, it was cluttered with charcoal, silver, and grey which I am glad they got rid of that mess. I was never a fan of that and suggested they try to reinforce a new looking uniform instead of the goofy silver, grey, and charcoal they tried to cram into the midnight green, white, and black colors. I always saw the Eagles 1996-current look as midnight green, silver, black, and white. No charcoal, grey, or the off-pattern green. The Jets won going back to their real house which is medium green and white. Kelly would be lighter and the Jets green from 1978-1989 and 1990-1997 was always a medium green or a shade of emerald which is slightly saturated than that of kelly green.

4 hours ago, HOOVER said:

The point I'm emphasizing is that it's about competition within the same market:  Falcons fans are generally Bulldogs fans (no offense, Georgia Tech).  Having a pro team changing their look to be very close to the college team that's been way more successful seems like a pretty amateur move, one, but also says, "Hey, we think we're the dominant Red football in Georgia."   There's no reason to coordinate colors, let alone compete.

Imagine if the Miami Dolphins changed their colors to Forest Green & Orange, like the Miami Hurricanes.  

Or if the Detroit Lions changed their colors to Navy & Maize, like the Michigan Wolverines.

Or if the Tennessee Titans changed their colors to Tennessee Orange & White, like the Tennessee Volunteers.

Yes, the Falcons may have worn Red-on-Red in the past (for 20 seasons) but changing to it now makes no sense when you have a better football program that is more popular in state already wearing it.  And the Falcons have worn Black longer than they've worn Red, so you can't argue that they belong in Red.

I agree with you on everything else and have posted my concept here before of the Falcons returning to a simplified, clean uniform with Silver pants being worn home & away, and I've offered up how the Panthers can achieve a very minimal but effective update without losing their now-classic look.

Funny you say that. Didn't the Packers base their original colors off Notre Dame? Also, the Jets when they were the Titans did the same thing. The Dolphins gotten aqua and coral (originally red-orange; vermillion) almost close to University of Miami, Florida, but with their new spin in 1966 was aqua instead of pine green. The Buccaneers nearly chose the University of Miami, Florida colors which was the green, orange, and red (they were nearly going to look like 7 Eleven if they did that) but it look too close to the Canes and Dolphins. We have the Rams who based their original uniforms off of the Fordham University Rams. The Bears colors IS University of Illinois but with a unique spin. UCLA has true blue like the Chargers do, but they use metallic gold similar to the 49ers so both the Chargers and 49ers basically have the best of both worlds of UCLA's colors, except the 49ers was originally a silver and red team. They use gold to work the 49er gimmick over.

Also to add here, didn't the Cardinals when they were in Chicago get their uniforms from a university that was called, The Maroons? And then there is the Boston (Commanders) before they moved to Washington. Boston College had the burgundy and gold colors just like the (Commanders) did. But yes, I see what you are saying.