Starting in 1997, MLB players began wearing specially designed batting practice jerseys for use in the Home Run Derby. Most of the designs over the years have been based on that year's All-Star Game logo and have incorporated the host team's logos and colors. We have, however, occasionally seen the use of different or additional colors, such as in 1998. And, for better or for worse, as of 2020 teams have been wearing these uniforms for the All-Star Game itself.

In honor of tonight's game, I thought I'd have a little fun and imagine how the Texas Rangers would look if their uniforms matched this year's All-Star Game unis in color and style. Without further ado...

RANGERS HOME:

Rangers-Home-2024.png

RANGERS ROAD:

Rangers-Road-2024.png

Notes:

- The new wordmarks come from the lettering on the All-Star Game logo. The lettering is very similar to the what Texas actually uses, albeit rounder and smoother, and I think I actually prefer it to the Rangers' actual wordmark style. 

- I figured I'd keep the actual All-Star Game caps, since the front design is essentially the Texas flag.  I did, however, make the bills contrast. 

- The Old West style numbers are based on the "ASG" found on the jerseys' jocktags

Yes, it's a radical departure from what the Rangers actually wear, but that's the point. I'll probably turn this into a full series, so watch this space!

• Like 6
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Starting in 1997, MLB players began wearing specially designed batting practice jerseys for use in the Home Run Derby. Most of the designs over the years have been based on that year's All-Star Game logo and have incorporated the host team's logos and colors. We have, however, occasionally seen the use of different or additional colors, such as in 1998. And, for better or for worse, as of 2020 teams have been wearing these uniforms for the All-Star Game itself.

In honor of tonight's game, I thought I'd have a little fun and imagine how the Texas Rangers would look if their uniforms matched this year's All-Star Game unis in color and style. Without further ado...

RANGERS HOME:

Rangers-Home-2024.png

RANGERS ROAD:

Rangers-Road-2024.png

Notes:

- The new wordmarks come from the lettering on the All-Star Game logo. The lettering is very similar to the what Texas actually uses, albeit rounder and smoother, and I think I actually prefer it to the Rangers' actual wordmark style. 

- I figured I'd keep the actual All-Star Game caps, since the front design is essentially the Texas flag.  I did, however, make the bills contrast. 

- The Old West style numbers are based on the "ASG" found on the jerseys' jocktags

Yes, it's a radical departure from what the Rangers actually wear, but that's the point. I'll probably turn this into a full series, so watch this space!

I can't stand the "AMERICAN LEAGUE" "NATIONAL LEAGUE" typography but I absolutely dig how the Rangers designs flow into these
Keep it up!

-Dabrow

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dabrowskiego said:

I can't stand the "AMERICAN LEAGUE" "NATIONAL LEAGUE" typography but I absolutely dig how the Rangers designs flow into these
Keep it up!

-Dabrow

Thanks! I actually considered doing a full team name stacked "TEXAS RANGERS" wordmark on both jerseys, but it was a bit much. 

COLORADO ROCKIES (1998 ASG)

HOME:

Rockies-Home-1998-darker-purple.png

ROAD:

Rockies-Road-1998-w-mountain-A.png

HOME ALT:

Rockies-Home-Alt-1998-darker-purple.png

ROAD ALT:

Rockies-Road-Alt-1998-mountain-A.png

Notes:

- The Rockies feature purple and green from the 1998 Home Run Derby in Denver. I ditched the black from the American League jerseys but kept silver as a trim color. 

- A headspoon and sleeve trim are added to the home jersey to match the other three jerseys. 

- Even now, 25+ years later, I feel the '98 ASG logo and HR Derby wordmarks would be a welcome change to the Times New Roman-esque ones the Rockies have been using since their inception. 

C&C appreciated!

• Like 7
  • Love 2

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Teams in the Style of All-Star Game Jerseys (Rockies x 1998 ASG 7/17)
On 7/18/2024 at 8:17 AM, Paul Lucas said:

Love it! Love it! Love it! That 1998 All Star set might still be my favorite. Way to go!

Thank you!

Now, let's jump ahead one season:

RED SOX (1999 ASG)

HOME:

Red-Sox-Home-1999.png

ROAD:

Red-Sox-Road-1999.png

HOME ALT:

Red-Sox-Home-Alt-1999.png

ROAD ALT:

Red-Sox-Road-Alt-1999.png

Notes:

- The jerseys for the 1999 Home Run Derby at Fenway Park leaned hard into the aesthetics of the infamous Turn Ahead the Clock promotion from that year, complete with vertically oriented wordmarks and cutoff sleeves.

- I repurposed the number style from Boston's City Connect uniforms, as they match the numbers from the '99 All-Star Game logo quite nicely. 

C&C appreciated! Just a programming note: I'm going to try to alternate between AL and NL teams from here on out. 

• Like 8
  • Love 3

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Teams in the Style of All-Star Game Jerseys (Red Sox x 1999 ASG 7/19)
On 7/19/2024 at 11:18 AM, coco1997 said:

Thank you!

RED SOX (1999 ASG)

HOME:

Red-Sox-Home-1999.png

ROAD:

Red-Sox-Road-1999.png

HOME ALT:

ROAD ALT:

Notes:

- The jerseys for the 1999 Home Run Derby at Fenway Park leaned hard into the aesthetics of the infamous Turn Ahead the Clock promotion from that year, complete with vertically oriented wordmarks and cutoff sleeves.

- I repurposed the number style from Boston's City Connect uniforms, as they match the numbers from the '99 All-Star Game logo quite nicely. 

C&C appreciated! Just a programming note: I'm going to try to alternate between AL and NL teams from here on out. 

AAAAA I would buy this in a heartbeat!!!!

• Like 1

On 7/21/2024 at 8:46 AM, VampyrRabbit said:

Could we see the Red Sox home with a navy hat and undershirt please?

Sure. How's this?

Red-Sox-Home-1999-navy.png

On 7/21/2024 at 4:23 AM, Coiler said:

Love the Rangers home uni! Red Sox looks appropriately 2000s weird too.

On 7/21/2024 at 10:50 AM, PowderedWater said:

AAAAA I would buy this in a heartbeat!!!!

Thank you both!

Going with the Astros next because they were still in the NL in 2004:

HOUSTON ASTROS (2004 ASG)

HOME:

Astros-Home-2004-taller-numbers.png

ROAD:

Astros-Road-2004-taller-numbers.png

HOME ALT:

Astros-Home-Alt-2004-taller-numbers.png

Notes:

- The 2004 All-Star Game BP jerseys were interesting in that they featured several Astros throwback elements, including the large star worn on the lower front left of the jersey from 1975-93 and tequila sunrise sleeves from the team's '89-93 look, all while keeping Houston's then-current brick red, black and sand color scheme. 

- I worked up some new numbers to match the wordmarks, which come from the All Star Game logo.

- With this color scheme, I figure the Astros could pull off a mono-black road look, which made a traditional road gray unnecessary. 

C&C appreciated as always!

• Like 6
  • Love 2

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Teams in the Style of All-Star Game Jerseys (Astros x 2004 ASG 7/21)
On 7/19/2024 at 11:18 AM, coco1997 said:

Thank you!

RED SOX (1999 ASG)

HOME:

Red-Sox-Home-1999.png

ROAD:

Red-Sox-Road-1999.png

HOME ALT:

ROAD ALT:

Notes:

I kinda love these. I wouldn't want them full time, but they'd be a great alt

• Like 1
signature2

On 7/18/2024 at 2:40 AM, coco1997 said:

COLORADO ROCKIES (1998 ASG)

Replace green with black and that could be a full-time look for them

• Like 1

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

On 7/22/2024 at 8:48 PM, Bomba Tomba said:

Replace green with black and that could be a full-time look for them

You'd really prefer black to green? I'd take the Rockies in purple and green in a heartbeat.

On 7/22/2024 at 4:04 PM, johne9109 said:

I kinda love these. I wouldn't want them full time, but they'd be a great alt

On 7/22/2024 at 9:53 PM, TheAnt755 said:

These jerseys look pretty gangsta 😎👌

Thank you!

On 7/22/2024 at 9:06 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

Can't wait to see the Yankees (2008 ASG)

I can't promise I'll do the '08 Yankees. There was a stretch of really lousy ASG jersey designs from about 2007-14 that featured ugly side and shoulder panels and pretty basic color schemes. Could be an interesting challenge, though.

SEATTLE MARINERS (2023 ASG)

HOME:

Mariners-Home-2023-w-white-pants.png

ROAD:

Mariners-Road-2023-w-trim.png

Notes:

- Last year’s All-Star Game in Seattle featured uniforms in the Mariners’ Northwest Green and navy, with white pants for the AL and dark navy pants for the NL. Mono-green would've been too much, so the home set keeps the white pants, while the road pants include the same oceanic/topographic pattern as the jerseys.

- The cap and sleeves feature the unused compass “S” from Seattle’s City Connect design.

- I ditched the weird glow-in-the-dark green-colored caps but kept the mountain peak design on the sides.

- Big thanks to @MJD7 for providing me with the jersey pattern.

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 10

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Teams in the Style of All-Star Game Jerseys (Mariners x 2023 ASG 7/23)
14 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

- Last year’s All-Star Game in Seattle featured uniforms in the Mariners’ Northwest Green and navy, with white pants for the AL and dark navy pants for the NL. Mono-green would've been too much, so the home set keeps the white pants, while the road pants include the same oceanic/topographic pattern as the jerseys.

Teal is a colour that really brings out the best in many other colours, so you shouldn't go all in on it, the white pants look great. I think the teal brimmed navy cap would work just as well with the road jersey.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2024 at 10:24 AM, coco1997 said:

You'd really prefer black to green? I'd take the Rockies in purple and green in a heartbeat.

Thank you!

I can't promise I'll do the '08 Yankees. There was a stretch of really lousy ASG jersey designs from about 2007-14 that featured ugly side and shoulder panels and pretty basic color schemes. Could be an interesting challenge, though.

SEATTLE MARINERS (2023 ASG)

HOME:

Mariners-Home-2023-w-white-pants.png

ROAD:

Mariners-Road-2023-w-trim.png

Notes:

- The cap and sleeves feature the unused compass “S” from Seattle’s City Connect design.

- I ditched the weird glow-in-the-dark green-colored caps but kept the mountain peak design on the sides.

- Big thanks to @MJD7 for providing me with the jersey pattern.

C&C appreciated! 

These are fantastic as always. Seattle has always had superb colors and you have elevated to greater heights. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 10:42 AM, VampyrRabbit said:

Teal is a colour that really brings out the best in many other colours, so you shouldn't go all in on it, the white pants look great. I think the teal brimmed navy cap would work just as well with the road jersey.

On 7/24/2024 at 5:18 PM, cubbeblue88 said:

These are fantastic as always. Seattle has always had superb colors and you have elevated to greater heights. 

Thank you both!

CINCINNATI REDS (2015 ASG)

HOME:

Reds-Home-2015.png

ROAD:

Reds-Road-2015.png

HOME/ROAD ALT:

Reds-Home-Alt-2015-straighted-I.png

Notes:

- The BP jerseys for the 2015 All-Star Game in Cincinnati were the first really good ones in nearly a decade, featuring raglan style sleeves in red and black and cool "wavy" wordmarks that match the style of the ASG logo

- For the jerseys, I worked up a new "Cincinnati" wordmark to match the "American" and "National" ones. 

- The dual stripes motif from Mr. Redlegs' cap now extends to the sleeves and pants. 

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 9

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Teams in the Style of All-Star Game Jerseys (Reds x 2015 ASG 7/25)

Starting the new week with the next team:

DETROIT TIGERS (2005 ASG)

HOME:

Tigers-2005-Home-w-single-stripes.png

ROAD:

Tigers-2005-Road-w-Old-English-wordmark.

HOME ALT:

Tigers-2005-Home-Alt.png

Notes:

- The 2005 All-Star Game in Detroit featured BP jerseys that leaned into the into auto industry/car culture of the city, with retro nameplate-style scripts and racing stripes along the sleeves. 

- '05's All-Star Game wordmark logo featured this excellent "DETROIT" wordmark which I used for the road jersey, as well as a really interesting spin on the Old English "D" which I used for the cap logo. 

- The rounded numbers seem to be race car-inspired and are similar to the ones from Detroit's City Connect set unveiled nearly 20 seasons later. 

- Raglan sleeves for the home set were inspired by the jerseys from the Futures Game that year. 

C&C appreciated! Another NL team is up next. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Teams in the Style of All-Star Game Jerseys (Tigers x 2005 ASG 7/29)
On 7/30/2024 at 11:05 AM, Paul Lucas said:

Seamless transition for both the Reds and Tigers. Great work! Lovin’ this series!!

Thanks, man!

LOS ANGELES DODGERS (2022)

HOME:

Dodgers-Home-2022.png

ROAD:

Dodgers-Road-2022-w-Los-Angeles-script.p

HOME/ROAD ALT:

Dodgers-Road-2022-w-Dodgers.png

Notes:

- The 2022 All-Star Game in Los Angeles, rescheduled from the COVID-canceled 2020 game, featured each player's regular uniform in graphite and gold. This one is a pretty straightforward swap of Dodger blue for graphite, while using a bit more gold than the Dodgers use red. 

- I added some extra trim to the uniforms to bring out the new colors. 

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1