2024 Summer Olympics in Paris

Opening night is on Friday.  After the disaster that was the Men's National Soccer Team at Copa America, we need to get back on track in the international sports scene, and the Olympics is a good place to do it with basketball, track and field, swimming and gymnastics.  Some things to look out for in the Olympics:

- The 6th Olympics for WNBA Superstar Diana Taurasi, and likely her last.  The first Olympics without Sue Bird, who retired after the 2022 season.  I would not be surprised if the 2028 team playing in Los Angeles has Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese and/or Paige Bueckers. 

- Simone Biles returns to the Olympics.  Her husband, Chicago Bears DB Jonathan Owens will be in attendance after he was given permission by the Bears to do so.   

- Surprisingly the Olympic debut of Golden State Warriors Superstar Steph Curry.  Now he was in the running for the team in 2016 but had to withdraw due to injuries.  I would not be at all surprised if him and KD will want to try again for 2028.  Most likely, this is the last Olympic team for Lebron James.  

- Not surprisingly, Wemby makes his Olympic debut in his home country.  

- It will be interesting to see if Sha'carri Richardson can end Jamaican dominance in the Women's 100 Meters.  

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/articles/c1vd91envz2o

Canada Soccer was caught spying on New Zealand. Two people sent home as a result. Why do people even try to spy with drones? They aren't very subtle when they're in the air. 

French gov said they're catching like six of these things a day, too.

Best Patriots parallel is that some low-level staffers are getting scapegoated for it. A cheating scandal before the games have even started.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Is it this Olympiad or next that we'll see Flag Football?

I really do hope Flag Football is a success. Mainly because I think football needs to be able to change to remain viable.

2028 is when we'll see flag football.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, walkerws said:

Olympics 2024: Morocco beat Argentina amid fan invasion chaos - ESPN

So bad fans make their way to France. I would expect that these two teams get 0 fans for the remainder of pool play. 

saint-etienne-france-julian-alvarez-of-t

I'm really starting to wonder how France hasn't improved it's security at football matches since Euros 2016. 

topshot-argentinas-forward-giuliano-sime

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 hours ago, Digby said:

It's getting worse! Anonymous sources within Canada Soccer say both men's and women's teams have been reliant on drones, dating back five years.

🍿

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/canada-s-men-s-and-women-s-soccer-teams-have-relied-on-drones-and-spying-for-years-sources-say-1.2153674

I bet FIFA will delay punishment until 2027. I also wonder if the Olympics could choose to stripe the women of their gold medal from 2020/21? 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

26 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I bet FIFA will delay punishment until 2027. I also wonder if the Olympics could choose to stripe the women of their gold medal from 2020/21? 

Maybe this is the "everyone in MLB was doing weird stuff with video and Apple Watches" in me, but to me a medal-stripping punishment seems harsh for this crime, it feels bad but not as bad as like, doping or physical abuse. They're going to need to totally clean house with coaching staff and FO, though, which is such a disruption for an operation like Canada that already seems barely hanging on (due to mismanagement).

Hope Jesse Marsch made the most of his 2 weeks of getting to smugly laugh at the US.

• Like 3

Just now, Digby said:

Maybe this is the "everyone in MLB was doing weird stuff with video and Apple Watches" in me, but to me a medal-stripping punishment seems harsh for this crime, it feels bad but not as bad as like, doping or physical abuse. They're going to need to totally clean house with coaching staff and FO, though, which is such a disruption for an operation like Canada that already seems barely hanging on (due to mismanagement).

Hope Jesse Marsch made the most of his 2 weeks of getting to smugly laugh at the US.

I know people are saying Canada should get kicked out the 2026 World Cup, but I don't know if FIFA would pull the trigger, knowing how much further in debt Canada would be as a result. The amount of work already done to get those cities and stadiums up to snuff would probably be enough for FIFA to leave them in place, but punish them for 2030 instead. Since the women have had the majority of the success, I think they're in better shape ONLY because they are in Concacaf. If more federations started putting money behind those women's team in Conmebol and Concacaf, Canada would have a harder time competing now. 

Marsch can't really say much, other than they had a lot of good luck in making that run to the semi-finals. I want to see how his team does in a full Class A Gold Cup or Nations League campaign before deciding if he's an improvement. Next year's Gold Cup, will have the B or C teams for Mexico and the United States due to the Club World Cup, depending on how many of the US and Mexico squad are with European or Liga MX teams in the competition. Canada will probably be missing 3-5 players as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

After the disaster of CONMEBOL and IFAF Football Tournament, the United States should be able to rebound in basketball, gymnastics, swimming, track and field, and women's soccer. 

• Like 1