2024 Summer Olympics in Paris

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So baseball is coming back in 2028.  So how are the teams going to be picked this time?  I'm sure that there will be independent league players for the Americans to choose from while the Latin American countries and Japan and South Korea will be able to pick players from their domestic leagues.  

Meanwhile, the Dodgers and Angels will be on the road for two weeks during that time.  

I'd expect they'd take the top Minor Leaguers since they'll want to win. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I saw the Women's Soccer gold medal game.  The first half was mainly Brazil trying to tire out the Americans but the Americans not giving up.  Their only goal came from one of their top players Mallory Swanson (the wife of Cubs player Dansby Swanson).  This is also a less polarizing team than what it was in that disaster of a Women's World Cup run last year, which did not have Swanson or Catarina Macario.  

Speaking of which, this is the second straight major international tournament Macario has missed due to injuries.  Fortunately, she missed the disaster run last year but had to withdraw from this Olympic team due to knee irritation.  

11 minutes ago, See Red said:

What a showing by Steph!  Legendary performance!

Everyone else was getting sloppy, so Steph said, "F🤬  it, I'll do it myself." and pierced the dagger into France's heart. Repeatedly.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Steph passing up a wide open Lebron and Durant to jack up a double-teamed, heat-check, dagger three to clinch the gold is the greatest shot in basketball history and I won’t hear otherwise. 

• Like 3

IUe6Hvh.png

Of the two US basketball teams, I wouldn't have thought the women would be the one to get run off the court by France. Too many times individuals are trying to score by themselves instead of running any set plays. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

it will be very surprising if Angel Reese. Caitlin Clark, Paige Bueckers or Juju Watkins are not on Team USA in 2028.  it won't likely be all four, but it should at least be Clark and Reese for 2028.  

it also looks like the US Women's Soccer Team has a new splash trio in Trinity Rodman, Sophia Smith and Mallory Swanson.  Also the first time a Big 3 in US Women's Soccer are women of color.  

On 8/9/2024 at 11:03 AM, TrueYankee26 said:

Olympic breaking, yes, breakdancing started today

Tuned in on a lark and was fascinated by it all.

Honestly this belongs in the Olympics.  If "Artistic Gymnastics" (Rhythmic Gymnastics) and "Artistic Swimming" (Synchronized Swimming) are Olympic Events, then this should be too.

The athleticism involved is impressive... the artistic interpretations against the challenge of NOT knowing what music's going to be used until it starts... a lot of quick thinking and the fluid motion between moves.  damn.

Add to the fact that the artists interact during the performance... 

This and Rugby Sevens are my favorite take-aways from this Olympiad.

2 hours ago, PTrudellJr said:

Tuned in on a lark and was fascinated by it all.

Honestly this belongs in the Olympics.  If "Artistic Gymnastics" (Rhythmic Gymnastics) and "Artistic Swimming" (Synchronized Swimming) are Olympic Events, then this should be too.

I won’t stand for this rhythmic gymnastics slander.   Throwing a baton type thingy 30 ft in the air and catching it between your legs while you do some flip 99% of people couldn’t dream of doing was the most impressive thing I’ve seen in the last two weeks.  The stuff they do in the group competition doesn’t even seem possible. 

The breaking was impressive (at least the men’s was — I wasn’t as impressed by the women’s final, tbh) but I don’t know about Olympic sport. It kind of felt like it was judged on vibes more than anything, where other judged sports have difficulties assigned to certain things and certain deductions, etc. I just don’t see how “musicality”, which is how well the dance fits with the music, can be anything but subjective. 

IUe6Hvh.png

Some 2028 updates on some US Athletes:

- Simone Biles has not ruled out 2028, but does admit that she's getting old (at least for Gymnastics)

- When asked if she was going to go to LA in 2028, Diana Taurasi said that she will be there, drinking beer on the beach with Sue Bird.  Everyone who is predicting the 2028 team says that Caitlin Clark will replace her.  

- Katie Ledecky has also not ruled out 2028, but it taking it one year at a time. 

- Steph Curry has implied that this will be his only Olympics.  LeBron has also said that he's not likely to return in 2028.  KD didn't commit to 2028, only saying "We'll see"

22 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Get ready for 4 years of they should have put Caitlin Clark on the 2024 Team USA roster if they lose lol

They didn't even wait 24 hours after the win. Truth be told, Taurasi probably should have been kept home. But pretending a rookie would be as calm as the veterans that pulled this game out at the end is rather silly. 

Caitlin Clark Was The Talk Of Women’s Basketball After USA’s Olympic Final (msn.com)

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png