Big Unit to the Bronx

Fusebazell

NEW YORK -- The Diamondbacks and Yankees have agreed on a deal that would send Randy Johnson to New York for Javier Vazquez, prospects and cash, major league sources told ESPN.

The paperwork has not yet been submitted to the baseball commissioner's office, but that is the next step for the deal to be finalized.

The Diamondbacks also will get left-handed pitcher Brad Halsey, catching prospect Dioner Navarro and $8 million to $9 million in exchange for the 41-year-old lefty, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reports.

According to Peter Gammons' sources, Arizona will not immediately deal Vazquez to another team, but will continue to talk to interested teams, including Baltimore, Philadelphia, Detroit and Texas.

Once a deal is official, the Yankees would then have to work out a contract extension for Johnson. According to the New York Daily News' sources, the discussion has been to add two years to Johnson's deal at $16 million each year.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

duke-white-sm.gifcavs2-sm.gifyankees2-sm.gifga-sm.gif

duke.gif

brownsSig.gif

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:cursing: fluff the Yankees!!!

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

You wish. From a Yankee fan's eyes, this is money well spent. Obviously we're going to get Beltran next, but it was important to improve our pitching staff first. Johnson is one of the most intimidating forces in the game, and should be a great addition to my boys in stripes.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

NEW YORK -- The Diamondbacks and Yankees have agreed on a deal that would send Randy Johnson to New York for Javier Vazquez, prospects and cash, major league sources told ESPN.

The paperwork has not yet been submitted to the baseball commissioner's office, but that is the next step for the deal to be finalized.

The Diamondbacks also will get left-handed pitcher Brad Halsey, catching prospect Dioner Navarro and $8 million to $9 million in exchange for the 41-year-old lefty, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reports.

According to Peter Gammons' sources, Arizona will not immediately deal Vazquez to another team, but will continue to talk to interested teams, including Baltimore, Philadelphia, Detroit and Texas.

Once a deal is official, the Yankees would then have to work out a contract extension for Johnson. According to the New York Daily News' sources, the discussion has been to add two years to Johnson's deal at $16 million each year.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

JOE, JR.: Hi, Brian, it's Joe.

BRIAN: What up, dude?

JOE, JR.: Do you have any guys w/ bad shoulders? The M's just signed Richie Sexson and we're afraid our plan to corner the market on guys w/ gimpy wings might fall through.

BRIAN: Gee, sorry about that. All I've got to offer are a steroid-addled former MVP who can't hit his weight and a starter w/ a 4.91 ERA to go w/ the 3 years and $35M left on his contract.

JOE, JR.: So Giambi's shoulder is sound?

BRIAN: Yeah, but he's got cancer and a viral infection.

JOE, JR.: Won't cut it. We've instituted a strict policy requiring our power hitters to have major arm injuries. This Vazquez, does he walk a lot of guys? I read in Moneyball that OBP is the secret to success. [Pats Russ Ortiz on the ass.]

BRIAN: Well, he's no Shawn Estes, but his walk totals have increased each of the past three years.

JOE, JR.: Hm...I like the trend. He should fit right in. What do you want for him?

BRIAN: Randy Johnson.

JOE, JR.: Sounds fair. But can you throw in $9M and an over-hyped, weak-hitting catcher prospect? Shawn Green's shoulder is held together w/ dental floss, so we're trying to get him from the Dodgers.

BRIAN: [Looks under cushions of Steinbrenner's couch.] Yeah, we can do that.

JOE, JR.: Deal.

Happy New Year! See you in 2005!

My favorite player goes to my favorite team.

NICE! B)

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

:cursing: Fluff the Yankees!!!

You wish. From a Yankee fan's eyes, this is money well spent. Obviously we're going to get Beltran next, but it was important to improve our pitching staff first. Johnson is one of the most intimidating forces in the game, and should be a great addition to my boys in stripes.

:blink:

You make it sound like the Yankees are just like every other team in MLB, save for a few. The Yankees are not the Twins. They are not the Athletics. They are not the Blue Jays, Devil Rays, Tigers, Indians, Royals, White Sox, Expos (or Nationals), Marlins, Pirates, Brewers, Reds, Rockies, Padres, or Diamondbacks. The Yankees are unlike anyone else.

It seems as if you're saying the Yankees have competition to see who can get to a quarter billion in salary first! Steinbrenner and the Yankees are a fluffin' joke and they ARE ruining baseball. There is no competition anymore. 2/3 of the fans in baseball are left hoping that this year, someone new will jump up and kick the Yankees square in the nuts so we can all wipe our brows, point and laugh, and breathe another sigh of relief that money can't buy championships....at least for this season.

It's sad to see you actually hoping for Beltran because apparently your line-up isn't stacked enough. Now you need your bench-warmers to have at least one All-Star Game appearance?!? :censored:, Yankee fans disgust me. You mean having Jeter, A-Rod, Sheffield, Matsui, and the rest isn't enough? So you go out and take Womack, Wright, Johnson, and you're still hoping for Beltran? I hope to God the Astros keep Beltran. If the Yankees don't get him, at least Steinbrenner can go cry over his piles of money...

This was by no means intended to be an attack on you, Shmee, but give me a fluffin' break already. This luxury tax is doing nothing, and Steinbrenner won't stop until he dies. His team symbolizes death to any resemblance of parity in MLB. Sports is now a business and he's taking this plop to extremes.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

I'm sorry, but after rereading my post about 6 times, I stil don't see where I said I was "hoping for Beltran." Bite me, because I didn't say I was hoping for Beltran, nor did I say anything about him except that Stenbrenner is obviously going to go after him next. Didn't say that I want him, didn't say that I have wet dreams about signing him, all I said is that he's next on Steinbrenner's list. Get your facts straight, because you come off looking desperate and dumb putting words into my mouth simply because your favorite team isn't willing to fork over the same money that my favorite team is.

Can you really argue with the Yankees going after Johnson? Can you make a case against the Yankees, or any team for that matter, trying to add an experienced and proven lefty pitcher to a rotation that previously had none? No? Then back off. Is it overdoing it for Steinbrenner to go after Beltran? Probably. Look at where the Yankees were when Steinbrenner bought them though. They were crap. This team is his to do with what he wants, and if you hate that, then your two best options are to either look away or buy a Jeter jersey.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Does George break the rules? NO

So what's the beef? he's doing exactly what any owner in his position would do......SPEND TO WIN.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

I'm sorry, but after rereading my post about 6 times, I stil don't see where I said I was "hoping for Beltran." Bite me, because I didn't say I was hoping for Beltran, nor did I say anything about him except that Stenbrenner is obviously going to go after him next. Didn't say that I want him, didn't say that I have wet dreams about signing him, all I said is that he's next on Steinbrenner's list. Get your facts straight, because you come off looking desperate and dumb putting words into my mouth simply because your favorite team isn't willing to fork over the same money that my favorite team is.

You may not have said you wanted Beltran, but you did say "Obviously, we're going to get Beltran next." That's the kind of cocky attitude drenching both the Yankees and their fans which makes everyone else despise both.

As for "you come off looking desperate and dumb putting words into my mouth simply because your favorite team isn't willing to fork over the same money that my favorite team is," all I can say is wow. It's not that my favourite team isn't willing to try and keep up with Darth Vader; it's because my team CAN'T. There's a big difference there, Shmee. The Blue Jays are one of the teams I mentioned in my first post and your glorious Yankees are choking them out. I can't say I blame Steinbrenner's greedy old ass for wanting to win, but he's over-doing it by miles. Hasn't he learned over the past four years that he hasn't been able to buy that trophy? So his solution becomes buying over-priced players and giving them even more to not give anyone else a chance.

And "Bite me"? That doesn't sound like a quality defence. Sounds like you can't defend your team's actions so you resort to insults and terms of confrontation. fluff the Yankees, boy.

Wagner Athletic Group

It's not the Yankees' fault the system sucks, and you really can't fault them for exploiting the system to their advantage. I can guarantee that every good owner in baseball would do the same thing with the same resources.

When it comes down to it, there's one objective for baseball teams: win. Not preserve the sanctity of the game, not to keep fair competition in mind, not to keep the poorer teams in mind.

If the Yankees can afford the Big Unit and Beltran, why shouldn't they go after them? You can't realistically expect them to sit back and not use every last cent of their mighty war chest just because it wouldn't be "good for baseball" in the eyes of some fans.

And owners that put their money into their on-field product like Steinbrenner are the ones that ARE good for baseball...not owners like David Glass who could afford to field a much better team but chooses not to.

damn you. :D

It is money well spent, and the fact that the Yankees actually got him blows my mind (in a "wow, what a front office" way).

Agreed Uw. That's why i don't hate Steinbrinner. He has the money, it's his money, he should spend it however he wants. He doesn't have to worry about debt or losing money or any of that, like other teams do. They got Randy Johnson and every complains as if they bought the whole baseball world. Randy is a great player, but he will retire soon. Its one of those "I want to win now" trades. Theres nothing wrong with that.

The day Steinbrinner leaves baseball is the beginning of a cheap era in baseball. Hell, there shouldn't be a salary cap. There should be a salary minimum based on how much the owner is worth/income of the team, etc., so they don't just whimp out on the money.

I've heard recently again rumors of the Sox trying to get rid of Manny and his contract. Come on, I can see trading Nomar, but pay the damn guy his money and let him play for the Sox. He is a key part of the team, no matter how lazy he may act.

It's not the Yankees' fault the system sucks, and you really can't fault them for exploiting the system to their advantage. I can guarantee that every good owner in baseball would do the same thing with the same resources.

When it comes down to it, there's one objective for baseball teams: win. Not preserve the sanctity of the game, not to keep fair competition in mind, not to keep the poorer teams in mind.

If the Yankees can afford the Big Unit and Beltran, why shouldn't they go after them? You can't realistically expect them to sit back and not use every last cent of their mighty war chest just because it wouldn't be "good for baseball" in the eyes of some fans.

And owners that put their money into their on-field product like Steinbrenner are the ones that ARE good for baseball...not owners like David Glass who could afford to field a much better team but chooses not to.

i totally agree with you a 100%

if you can do it, get away with it, most owners will exploit there situation. all steinbrenner is doing is what he can get away with and exploiting the system.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

Ahh come on everybody Maybe if you are nice George will buy you to be a Yankees fan its only inevitable for taht to happen.

tank,

i've busted your chops a million times in the past, and i've stopped recently.....but i have no clue what that post means at all.....commas and periods are your friend, treat them well and they'll love you back.

your best friend,

joel

Word.

I only wish the Mets would do the same. Well, do the same with results. They've been tossing money left and right, but at all the wrong guys. I only wish Steinbrenner was at the helm of the Mets.

I certainly think it's all fair game until there is a salary cap in baseball... although Steinbrenner and all owners should certainly know by now that all the money in the world still can't buy you a championship. You're players have to play well, and play well together, and the fundamentals can't be overlooked. But lots of money can, and will buy you a fan base, ticket sales, merchandise sales and just about everything short of a World Series... and once the right crop of players are bought, a championship will be purchased also. I may hate the Yankees, but I can't knock Steinbrenner.

Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Wheateater, if the Blue Jays spent the all the money to get big free agents would you be complaning? No, you would be excited because as fan of theam your chances of winning goes up and as a fan that is what you want. You want your favorite team to win.

How can you complain about Yankee fans being excited about getting Randy Johnson because if the situation was turned around you would be just as excited.

Personally, I hate the Yankees. But not for buying the best of every available FA out there. It comes from a lifetime of being an Orioles fan.

The only teams that are affected by the Yankees spending spre are the Orioles, Blue Jays, Devil Rays, and to a lesser extent the Red Sox. These are the only teams that directly compete with the Yankees. All the other Divisions can still achieve competitive balance.

Also, being an Orioles fan, Angelos reinforced what George proved long ago- You can't buy championships. Everyone seems to forget that the teams the Yankees had that won all the WS a few years ago were developed through the farm system that was built up while George couldn't touch the team. His way won 2 WS back in the 70's and none since. Good old fashion development won the other 4.

The man has the money. The team is his toy and passion. How many out there spend their extra cash on their toys and passions? Nothing wrong with what he is doing.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

His way won 2 WS back in the 70's and none since. Good old fashion development won the other 4.

Well, Actually those first 2 were won the same way as the other 4. Those players came from the farm and George was hands off for the first few year. Then FA started and george was able to get just 2 big pieces in hunter and Jackson. Outside of those 2 players the rest came from farm or thru trades. So that makes 6 championships under George from the farm.

Archived