University of Pittsburgh to cahnge uniforms for 05

Law00

The word is at a minimum the University of Pittsburgh will be removing the "dino cat" (the name some fans have given the current panther logo) from their helmets and will put Pitt on their helmet. The only downside it will not be the Pitt script (Marino, Dorsett, & even Martin era) They will also remove the Pittsburgh from across the front of the Jersey and replace it with Panthers.

Title should say change not cahnge

i think it would be good to use a panther that is recognizably a panther, and one that has more form to it than a mountain. the old pitt script, although great, doesnt match the current font motif, which is quiite unique and pleasing as well. i think they could add panthers on the home blues, but i think the road should still say pittsburgh.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Considering this era of modernized logos and mascots, I still can't figure out what the hell they did to the Panther. It is a very unrcognizable melange of amorphic (but angular) shapes and colors, no rhyme or reason going on. Unless it was always joined with the Pittsburgh script, one can barely figure out it's even a cat.

The script itself is very inconsistent as well. In some situations, the "Pittsburgh" and "Panthers" wordmarks are very distressed and crumbly, in others, the lettering is somewhat less rocky looking. The numbers are also different from team to team...the football team's numbers seem to be smoother than the basketball teams'. I like the technique, though, for its originality in a sea of Phoenix clones. The wordmark definitely stands out, but the Panther head is just horrible.

I wouldn't mind if they touched up the wordmarks just a bit (for consistency) but reworked the Panther head entirely. I don't know if a script wordmark could be made to mimic the style of the current wordmark, but I am curious to see what the next incarnation brings.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

if they're not bringin back the ol' Pitt script, they may as well keep the rock panther on them lids. Although it seems they're starting to give up on emphasizning PITTSBURGH and re-embracing Pitt. Leave Pittsburgh to the pros, U of P. You are and always will be Pitt, and tehre's absolutely no shame in that.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Pitt has to have one of the worst identity re-designs in history. They went from a bland, but traditional look, to something that was just.. chaotic, and confusing, and not pleasing to the eye. From the pencil-drawn wordmark, to the supposed "Panther", it was just a bad, bad redux.

Hopefully Pitt can come up with something a little better this time round.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

if they put the modern PITT on their helmet they have some of the coolest looking uniforms in football- wheather they wear gold or blue pants with either home or away jersey. Also idk if its just me put the i love the shade of blue, its almost navy but theirs some tint to it that its not navy.

signature.gif

Considering this era of modernized logos and mascots, I still can't figure out what the hell they did to the Panther. It is a very unrcognizable melange of amorphic (but angular) shapes and colors, no rhyme or reason going on. Unless it was always joined with the Pittsburgh script, one can barely figure out it's even a cat.

Believe it or not, it was designed to look like it was made out of steel, or actually cut out of a solid sheet of steel, being from the steel city. An idea that is that obscure is very hard to translate into a logo. Although it is a interesting idea, it obviously just did not work. I think it was designed for free by a friend of a former AD. I guess you get what you pay for.

"...and you want to be my latex salesman."

vandelay.jpg

I thought the university refuses to be known as Pitt. They made a huge deal when changing over to present configuration.

No, the old AD made a huge deal out of it. Everybody at the school and in Pittsburgh still called it Pitt. Since the last of the old AD's regime (Walt Harris) is gone... back to Pitt. As an alumnus, I'm glad they're embracing "Pitt" again.

Also, apparently the redesigned logo was actually cast in steel first and then printed using a die... that's why the jagged edges, etc.

"Hail to Pitt!"

As a pitt student I'm exited yet apprehensive. The student body loves the old Pitt script logo, and with Pederson at Nebraska and Wannstedt on board, alot of us were hoping for a change. However this news doesnt sound good. The "new" "Pitt" logo is horrible, it was part of the redesign back in 97? but never gets used because of how bad it looks. I really hope thats not what they put on the helmet. I could deal with the old script Pitt on the current unis - but ideally id like to see a total throwback look, either with the new colors, or even better the old ones. Everyone hates the dinosaur but theyre invested in it - its everywhere on campus, which is unfortunate.

By the way, where are you getting this info from? I got nothing on Google.

• 2 months later...

More to uniforms than meets the eye

Coming off a first-ever Big East championship, a Fiesta Bowl appearance and the hiring of former NFL head coach and alumnus Dave Wannstedt, the football product at the University of Pittsburgh looks pretty good.

But change is coming, anyway.

When the Panthers step onto Heinz Field against Notre Dame on Sept. 3, they'll do so headed in a different direction.

Sometime before the annual Blue-Gold Game, Pittsburgh will unveil uniforms modified slightly to play off the program's glory years of Johnny Majors and Jackie Sherrill. The color scheme that was introduced in 1997 and the "PITTSBURGH" lettering across the chest, above the numbers, will remain.

However, the disembodied Panther head that previously graced both sides of the gold helmets is out.

"PITT" is it again.

Sort of.

The "PITT" seen on the new helmets isn't the script that appeared on helmets worn by Tony Dorsett and Dan Marino, but rather a more modernized version. Visualize the current "PITTSBURGH" lettering and chop off the "SBURGH."

Lukas described the concept as "updating a classic" -- not unlike what the Pirates pulled off when, in 2001, they switched to a sleeveless uniform modeled after those worn by the club in the 1960s.

"It makes sense," Lucas said of teams playing off their past. "Pitt is selectively cherry-picking from a design that fans preferred."

And, as Frank Rosato of Brookline proclaimed for all University of Pittsburgh alumni: "I'd rather see the 'PITT' script. But any 'PITT' is better than no 'PITT' at all... or that floating wolverine head."

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

If they go that route, may they put in some white lines to separate out the ITT - looks like it could be mistaken as PIII from a distance.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I wish Pitt would be consistent with the numbers and letters. It looks like the basketball uniform script is "rougher" than the script across the football uniforms, and the numbers are also different between the two.

This, it's not even a "meh". They may as well use Times Roman to spell it out on the helmets. They should have modernized the script, not just used an all-caps version.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Pitt needs to go back to the script Pitt on the helmets as in the Dorsett-Marino era. What they when they went away from it is tantamount to UCLA ditching the script UCLA in favor of an ugly Bruin head.

Don't mess with tradition unless tradition is offensive, ugly, stupid or doesn't make sense. The old script Pitt helmets didn't fit any of those four.

Archived