What is the darkest color teams can wear at home?

Blue Falcon

Saw some college hoops highlights last night on ESPN, and one team was wearing blue and the other orange.

Just wondering what is the darkest color any sport would allow as a substitute for white...I know the NFL allows silver, yellow, and gold, but not orange. Wonder what would happen if a team wore orange at home, and the visiting team wore red?

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Cleveland wears orange at home, Cincinnatti too. As long as they clash, i.e. don't look close enough to confuse the refs, they can wear it. So the Chiefs can't wear red when playing cincinnatti in their orange outfits, but they could if Cincy wore black. I believe it's the same with college.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Cleveland wears orange at home, Cincinnatti too.

True, but he's saying orange as a substitute for white. The refs wouldn't allow that.

Just wondering what is the darkest color any sport would allow as a substitute for white...I know the NFL allows silver, yellow, and gold, but not orange.

Who in the NFL wore yellow at home? And have the Saints been able to wear their gold jerseys as a white jersey? Silver is the only one I know of for sure.

I stand corrected. Thank you.

I can think of another one - this season's Thanksgiving game between the Cowboys in blue and Bears in orange, but the Cowboys jerseys had an awful lot of white in them.

Then again, it's possible that the NFL relaxes its jersey-color rule where throwbacks are concerned. They already allow teams to wear an alternate helmet only as part of a throwback scheme....

There must be a throwback exception to this, since Denver wore their throwback orange vs. Dallas' throwback blue a few Thanksgivings ago.

I think I read somewhere that thanks to that Illinois orange vs. Wisconsin red fiasco, the NCAA will be enacting a rule that says that home teams in basketball can wear white and only white.

Packers-2.png

that sucks. its common sense, and it should be the referees' call as to whether there is enough contrast in two colors to be worn at the same time, if they say yes, then fine, but if they say no, then youre out of luck and you better hope you came prepared with your whites in your suitcases.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

There must be a throwback exception to this, since Denver wore their throwback orange vs. Dallas' throwback blue a few Thanksgivings ago.

I think I read somewhere that thanks to that Illinois orange vs. Wisconsin red fiasco, the NCAA will be enacting a rule that says that home teams in basketball can wear white and only white.

well they ain't done it yet and i hope they don't. if they do, however, don't limit home colors to just white. basically, white, silver, yellow, metallic gold, and off-white shades should be allowed, and then any other color uniform has to be approved by the NCAA. of course, since this is a good idea they'd never go with it :P

that said, from memory here's what's been worn at home:

Illinois-as we all know, orange

Ohio State-back in the Jim Jackson era, the Buckeyes had gray uniforms. as far as I know, they no longer do.

Minnesota-traditionally, gold has been their home color

Michigan-their maize jersey is periodically worn at home

Michigan State-i thought that silver jersey was a one-shot deal. guess not.

Georgetown-back when they used their real colors (silver and blue) they switched between white and silver jerseys often. nowadays they wear those ugly tealver (i don't know what color that really is, don't care, it's just ugly) rags for some home games

Miami-they don't wear those orange jerseys often, but i know i've seen em wear em at home

Ole Miss-the Rebs have been known to don red at home

UNLV-gray (yes, straight up gray) at home

Maine-light blue. let's hope they never schedule Columbia or UNC.

Mizzou-gold...an ugly gold but still

Kansas-red

K-State-light purple...hey, whatever works

Cal-gold

Arizona State-gold

Vandy-yup, gold

Florida-for some cockbrained reason, black. yes, BLACK. against FSU to boot.

speaking of the Noles-i thought they used to have a gold jersey. not sure if they have one now though

Georgia Tech-won't affect teh Jackets much, as they primarily use their gold jersey as a roadie

Markette-gold

UW Milwaukee-gold

Washington-gold

Colorado-gold, although i don't know if they still use it

LSU-gold

*this is starting to look liek a broken record, huh?*

St. Joe's-do they still have that silver jersey?

that's more or less all I remember.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

kansas wears red at home? or is that just on occasion?

just VERY occassionally...a KU fan could correct me, but i swear i've seen em wear red at home one time.

to clarify, most of the schools i listed only wear gold at home as alternates, although Minnesota does wear its golds for almost all home games.

shoot, i forgot Iowa-gold occassionally.

2016cubscreamsig.png

For the longest time Georgetown used to wear silver/gray at home, and either medium blue or navy blue on the road. During the Patrick Ewing era, I think it was medium blue (check older NCAA Final Four clips of Michael Jordan to verify). Around 84 or 85, they switched to Navy blue. Then they would get a new uniform style every year, and Syracuse and Seton Hall (I think) would match the style, fonts ad all, except for the school name. It was only a few years ago that Georgetown went back to wearing white at home.

As a referee, I prefer white for home and a dark color for the opponents. This is not always the case, sometimes one team wears gold and the other wears gray, two teams wear pastels, it's a pain in the ass.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Discrim, yes KU wore red at home once and only once (I think).

NFL rules state that the home team dictates which jersey they wear, usually the dark one, which is why Dallas gets away with wearing white almost every game. I did notice that more NFL teams are wearing white at home now, but I also remember the Chargers getting nailed by the league for forcing someone to wear their whites at home because they claimed to have left their whites in SD or something like that.

93-94canucks.jpg

I also remember the Chargers getting nailed by the league for forcing someone to wear their whites at home because they claimed to have left their whites in SD or something like that.

Yeah that was against Denver I think last year

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I know that in college football, a team usually wears their dark jersey at home. They may only wear their white jersey at home if the visiting team does not object. Remember Oregon State objecting at LSU? I think Alexis Serna's woes is all we remember from that game.

LvZYtbZ.png

Cleveland wears orange at home, Cincinnatti too.

True, but he's saying orange as a substitute for white. The refs wouldn't allow that.

Actually the Browns traditionally wear white at the start of the year so orange would be substituting for the white. But actually this year the NFL decided that as long as the two teams jerseys were different enough to distinguish, i.e. Cleveland orange jerseys and Denver in all blue, it would be allowed. I think it was designed as an excuse to explain why Dallas wears blue jerseys on Thanksgiving or New Orleans asking teams to wear their dark jerseys when the Saints wore gold.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

NFL teams are wearing white at home now, but I also remember the Chargers getting nailed by the league for forcing someone to wear their whites at home because they claimed to have left their whites in SD or something like that.

actually, it was the Broncos who got nailed. the Bolts had wanted to wear their whites, being hot and all, and the Broncos decided to bring white anyway. the Chargers were forced to wear their blues, so the NFL nailed Denver and gave San Diego the choice of uniforms for their game at Mile High late last season.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Archived