Washington Nats - Established... 1905?

Swiss

This is lame. I would think the Twins would not want them to do that. But I don't like when teams' histories don't stay within that franchise. I think the Nationals won a World Series in the 1920s. Are they going to have a banner there next year?

It's like the Cleveland Browns. I always thought that the Browns history belonged with the Ravens. But all history is property of the new Browns. The Ravens' franchise won those Pre-Super Bowl era NFL titles. The Browns are a 1990s expansion franchise.

I think that was a condition of Modell moving to Baltimore, that he had to leave the franchise history behind, especially since almost as soon as he announced the move, the NFL awarded a franchise to Cleveland.

I really think they should just use "Established 2005". The Minnesota Twins and Texas Rangers started their histories AFTER they moved. The same should be with the Nationals, if at all.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

I really think they should just use "Established 2005". The Minnesota Twins and Texas Rangers started their histories AFTER they moved. The same should be with the Nationals, if at all.

You're exactly right. So where did those years in Washington go? They're in Washington to be continued by the Nationals. However "Established 1901" would be more accurate.

This could arguable be off the subject but what's the population of the Washington D.C. area?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

The only question I have about the jersey patch is will it always have "Established 1905" on it or will it only be used for the first season? If it is only for the first season...

This could arguable be off the subject but what's the population of the Washington D.C. area?

The population of the District of Columbia, as of 2003 U.S. Census Bureau estimates, is 563,384.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

The only question I have about the jersey patch is will it always have "Established 1905" on it or will it only be used for the first season? If it is only for the first season...

The population of the District of Columbia, as of 2003 U.S. Census Bureau estimates, is 563,384.

So why has this city always had some many pro teams? Is it just because it's the "Nations Capital" or what? Seems like they get brownie points for that!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

So why has this city always had some many pro teams?  Is it just because it's the "Nations Capital" or what?  Seems like they get brownie points for that!

Well, the numbers for the District of Columbia alone are misleading. I should have mentioned that the population of the District of Columbia metropolitan area, as of 2003 U.S. Census Bureau estimates, is 5,090,435. This area includes DC as well as portions of Virginia, Maryland, and West Virginia.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

So why has this city always had some many pro teams? Is it just because it's the "Nations Capital" or what? Seems like they get brownie points for that!

You also have to consider the size of the city in terms of area and surrounding population.

I saw, I came, I left.

I really think they should just use "Established 2005".  The Minnesota Twins and Texas Rangers started their histories AFTER they moved.  The same should be with the Nationals, if at all.

You're exactly right. So where did those years in Washington go? They're in Washington to be continued by the Nationals. However "Established 1901" would be more accurate.

No, my buddy.

1901 is the year of the establishing of many AL teams. That Washington Nationals is a team born in 1969 as the Montreal Expos in... the NL.

You can find illustrious history of Washington teams playing in the NL before being dropped out of the National League in 1899.

So... what damn happened in 1905???

Why not just 1969 or 2005 and we are all happy???

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

The name Washington Nationals was used from 1905-1955. That's where 1905 came from. Again, I prefer "Established 1901".

So for whom did Walter Johnson win 417 games? Not for Minnesota.

Who won the 1924 World Series? Not Minnesota.

True but this is a new franchise, though I think they shoudl honor the past by putting up a plaque with JOhnson's name somewhere displayed prometly.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

True but this is a new franchise

No, no it's not. It is a team that played in Montreal from '69 until 2004 and is still owned by MLB. The franchise itself is the same. This is the case with every team that ever moved, save for the Baltimore Ravens and Carolina Hurricanes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The name Washington Nationals was used from 1905-1955. That's where 1905 came from. Again, I prefer "Established 1901".

You got the right answer! THANKS.

Now, with that data in hand... I still didn't like "1905" in the logo. I prefer 2005 or the year in the XIX century when the first Washington pro team started to play in a major league.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Retiring Numbers will be tricky they should honoir teh Expos numbers too, but truthfully there are not many numbers to retire. Most of the best players from Washington played before numbers.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• 4 months later...
Correct me if I'm wrong someone....

but I believe, the Washington Senators were officially the Washington Nationals until sometime around 1950.  Senators up until that time had just been a nickname, and it ended up sticking, kinda like how the New York Highlanders became the Yankees in the early 20th Century, so I'm assuming this would be what the patch is referring to, the fact the the Washington Nationals were established in 1905 originally

You're pretty much on target. The original Washington AL franchise was known as "Senators" from 1901-04. It was renamed "Nationals" in 1905 in an effort to lose the stigma associated with the first Washington NL franchise (called the "Senators").

al_1905_washington.gif

The name remained Nationals until 1956 when Calvin Griffith changed it back to "Senators," which it remained through 1960 and the relocation of the franchise to Minnesota. When the franchise reverted to the "Senators" nickname, it adopted the logo which you see in my avatar, which I'll insert in larger form below:

senate1.jpg

Sportswriters and the general public continued to call the team the Senators though "Nats," being short, fit better in headlines.

The logo, which features a top-hatted, frock-coated, cigar-smoking senator in a pitcher's wind-up, the Washington Monument in the distance below his left foot, was designed by Zang Auerbach, Red's brother.

This patch is odd IMO. It's as if the franchise is trying to connect itself to the original Washington AL franchise, in which case it should more accurately read "Established 1901."

This topic came up again in a different thread re someone's Nats concept so I'm giving it a bump.

tzch6.jpg

Archived