Let's wage war on clumsy corporate ballpark names

The_Admiral

Here goes. I'm exempting park names that flow well (Great American, Tropicana) and ones I don't have ideas for (Petco).

U.S. Cellular Field: Comiskey Park

Ameriquest Field: Ballpark in Arlington

Citizens Bank Park: Citizens' Park. (Didn't the taxpayers fund the park anyway?)

Minute Maid Park: Union Station Grounds

Bank One Ballpark: Colangelo Field

SBC Park: Pacific Bell Park

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think Pacific Bell is a subsidiary of SBC Communications, actually.

That is true. I just hope that stadium doesn't go through as many changes as Philly's arenas. I just found you proctor and gamble is purchasing Gilette (pending approval)

I saw, I came, I left.

I am not so sure that the name of Gillette Stadium will change. There still are of companies who are bought, but their brands remain. (Think of the energy industry and gas stations which still have multiple names like Exxon and Mobil or Conoco and Phillips66. Better yet, look at supermarkets which remain under regional names since that is what the marketplace is used to).

The brand identity of the Gillette name is one reason why Proctor and Gamble is trying to buy them. Seriuosly, I cannot imagine any loyality to "Proctor and Gamble Mach3 razors". When you think of razor blades, most North Americans think of Gillette, then Schick. Today's NYT article on the proposed merger says that the P & G will market the Gillette brand more global than it presently is.

The name change of a stadium is the least of their (and our) worries. And if it does, it will the 3rd name for the place in less than 5 years. What is the deal with Boston area facility name changes?

It think it was orignally CMGI or something like that. I think they will keep the Gillette moniker. makes more sense. Considering Minute Main and Tropicana are owned be Coke and Pepsi, then I don't see any reason why the parent company name would be used here.

I saw, I came, I left.

Yeah Procter and Gamble own loads of brand names, so Gillete Stadium will more than likely remain just that.

I don't mind some of these corporate names. Its the ugly ones that are a big problem. Oh and when and old park gets a corporate name. That stinks!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

There's absolutely no way that P&G will drop the Gillette brand name from the razor/shaving products line. "Gillette" is practically synonymous with quality in shaving products. That's the reason P&G wants to acquire the brand.

As for the name of the Patriots' stadium, I'd be shocked if P&G chose to replace the Gillette name with their own moniker. Given the company's long history in the region, Gillette has far more resonance in the Greater Boston area than P&G ever would.

They could always just go out on a limb and just name it "Foxboro Stadium" since i still know a bunch of people, myself included, who accidently slip and still call the new stadium by the old predecessor. Still has a good ring to it. But i think they'll keep Gillette. Just sounds too damn good

"SkyDome - HorriblyOverpricedAndBland-Dome (or HOABDome)"

CC ain't gonna like you for that. He works there for the Blue Jays during baseball season, my friend.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Petco Park just sounds silly though. And Minute Maid Park conjures up ideas of shoddy construction.

Petco Park is almost as offensive as Craven Stadium or Mojoto Arena.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

SkyDome - HorriblyOverpricedAndBland-Dome (or HOABDome)

Wait 'til it gets renamed ROGERS' Dome (or Stadium) (Or Rogers Wireless or any Rogers company)

I predict July FIRST of this year.

"Uncle Ted" promised us a big party for the 20th Anniversary of the first Canadian Wireless Call.

What do you think Chris?

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

"Petco Park just sounds silly though. And Minute Maid Park conjures up ideas of shoddy construction."

Petco does sound silly. especially to those at PETA. And Minute Maid, remember, was known prior to that as Enron Field. We know what happened to them.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Petco Park just sounds silly though. And Minute Maid Park conjures up ideas of shoddy construction.

for us veterans.

roger hits again with the zinger of the day.

for us veterans.

roger hits again with the zinger of the day.

BOOYAH! :lol:

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived