GD BOOTCAMP-Event 1- The Identity Package

pcgd

ahhhh!

Read carefully folks.

Screens are a cost saving method. This information was just that, information. The point of each round is to teach you something about the graphic design industry. Todays lesson was just teaching you a little bit about printing. As we move on you'll learn a variety of different mediums. Print is just one of those.

You can and should use pantone colors.

JP, thanks for clarifying that screen stuff for me. I was assuming it would be on a white background, stupid me. However, if you were doing a two colored business card and two screens overlapped, they would show through each other. So, for presentation purposes, you would want to use transparency.

That's beside the point. Once again, JR and myself will be providing some of these little tibits about the limited knowledge we have. Nobody is an expert, and I love how people like JP have stepped up to add some of their own information. I think you are grasping the concept behind the contest, in that its not a contest as much as its a crash course or "Bootcamp" in graphic design.

So to review:

Design a logo in any method you want.

Send us those 4 different logos

Design business cards, letterhead, and a polo shirt for that logo

Continue to ask questions, nobody learned this stuff in a week.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So instead of using PANTONE colors, we can only use screens?

Dammit, Private Sheetstain, pay attention!

You may use whatever colors you like on this project! The screens discussion is for education. For future projects where colors will be restricted.

As was stated earlier... you need a FULL color version, using every damn color in your rainbow bumper sticker, if you'd like. Then, make a white and a black version.

Private Sheetstain, if you'd shut your yap and read, you'd learn more.

Now get to designing!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

You know, I'm starting to think that PCGD's motivation for this contest isn't so much to have a competition among designers as it is a means for him to verbally abuse those individuals he fears, nay, KNOWS to have talents superior to his.

And that's fine with me. Proceed. :P

Polo Temp will be provided.

You can rock the sigs after the first event. You don't get one til we know you have summited and have earned something.

And, I believe its Sgt. Francis that is being hard on the pukes, Sgt. Cummings is the caring, compationate Sargent. The one that stays late with the soldiers for extra help. Sgt. Francis is the one that stares at you in the showers after PT.

:D

can I ask what font was used for the bootcamp text?...Sir?

Sure, go ahead.

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Polo Temp will be provided.

Sir! Does that mean we have to use it, Sir!?

Private Pantywad, I commend you on actually getting the form for addressing your Sergeants correct.

Yes. You must use the template. You may also, however, include anything else you think would help sell your logo to the client. If you want to photoshop your logo on a smiling hunk or a sexy babe, then do so, and include it with your work.

It never hurts to use any spare time you have to spice up your presentation. Clients love the cool stuff, the mockups, the real deal.

ΓΔΒ!

Sgt. Cummings, sir, I have finished the four required logos and are currently designing the letterhead and business card. Loosely what dimensions would you reccomend the JPG submissions be for this event?

I pardon if I addressed you incorrectly. See, I must admit, I am an idiot.

Thank you.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

No worries, a template will be provided tonight. Sorry, it was going to be last night, but I had to work late.

You'll have it tonight. Just design stuff at the right size ratio and you'll be gravy.

A Logo in 4 forms.

1) Full color (may contain screens or gradients)

2) Black/single color (may not contain screens or gradients)

3) Full color on dark background (same as 1)

4) White on dark background (same as 2)

Sir, can we get clarification of #3, sir? Does it have to be the exact same as #1, just on a dark background, or can we modify the orginal to show up better on dark?

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

A Logo in 4 forms.

1) Full color (may contain screens or gradients)

2) Black/single color (may not contain screens or gradients)

3) Full color on dark background (same as 1)

4) White on dark background  (same as 2)

Sir, can we get clarification of #3, sir? Does it have to be the exact same as #1, just on a dark background, or can we modify the orginal to show up better on dark?

That's the point! Honestly you should design the intial logo with the thought that it might be used on a dark background. You shouldn't have a completely different design, but for example, making the dark color of your logo, white, is acceptable and is probably the best action. Adding an outline isn't cheating, and would also be acceptable. But altering the shape or anything is not.

The goal is to make it look the best for all mediums/colors so a client doesn't come back in 2 months and wants it on a dark colored polo shirt and you have to go back to the drawing board to make it work. You already ahve it ready to go!

Archived