You Don't Mess with Tags...

JQK

Because of Madison Square Garden's venomous and fierce battle against the proposed NY Jets/West Side Stadium, Paul Tagliabue has removed the NFL Draft from Madison Square Garden.

A new location should be announced within the week.

SOURCE: ESPN

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I read somewhere they're sticking it in the Javitz Convention Center, whose expansion, not coincidentally enough, is part of the Jets stadium project.

Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about this stadium. It'd be cool to have my favorite team a subway ride away from me and piss off Charles Dolan at the same time, but I vehemently do not want the Olympics in my city and I don't know if Midtown Manhattan is the best place to put a stadium in terms of traffic and the neighborhood. I'd probably feel better about it if they stuck it somewhere in Queens or something, where they have more space and less traffic.

I heard that the Draft may be moving to Philly and the Wachovia Center or the Pennsylvania Convention Center.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

I read somewhere they're sticking it in the Javitz Convention Center, whose expansion, not coincidentally enough, is part of the Jets stadium project.

Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about this stadium. It'd be cool to have my favorite team a subway ride away from me and piss off Charles Dolan at the same time, but I vehemently do not want the Olympics in my city and I don't know if Midtown Manhattan is the best place to put a stadium in terms of traffic and the neighborhood. I'd probably feel better about it if they stuck it somewhere in Queens or something, where they have more space and less traffic.

But sticking it in queens is almost as bad as keeping them in jersey. (it's ok, i'm a jersey boy, i can say that)

When you have a chance to play in the center of the world, it's hard to have that dream killed so close to it's completion. I doubt NYC will get the olympics, especially with a Belgian in charge of the IOC, so it just comes down to R.W. Johnson, Blooms, and Dolan

sB9ijEj.png

They may as well just have the draft in Hartford...it's a big enough arena with full video screens and crap, and it's like a one hour drive from ESPN. Because that's who the draft is really for...ESPN for 16 or so hours.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

They may as well just have the draft in Hartford...it's a big enough arena with full video screens and crap, and it's like a one hour drive from ESPN. Because that's who the draft is really for...ESPN for 16 or so hours.

that's not a bad idea...

sB9ijEj.png

Way to go Tagliabue for sticking it to Dolan who continues to take gold and turn it to plope.

Lets see the list

Ruined the

Rangers,

Kinicks,

MSG Network,

MSG Building,

THeater at MSG,

The Wiz stores,

Radio City,

Cablevision,

NFL Draft,

NYC Olympic Bid,

Bid to buy Yankees,

Bid to buy Jets,

Jets move to NYC,

Conventions,

NFL Draft

and so on

Way to go !

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Way to go Tagliabue for sticking it to Dolan who continues to take gold and turn it to plope.

Lets see the list

Ruined the

Rangers,

Kinicks,

MSG Network,

MSG Building,

THeater at MSG,

The Wiz stores,

Radio City,

Cablevision,

NFL Draft,

NYC Olympic Bid,

Bid to buy Yankees,

Bid to buy Jets,

Jets move to NYC,

Conventions,

NFL Draft

and so on

Way to go !

I think we should let him buy the Yankees

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Lets see what happens if Draft leaves NYC 32 teams with an entire gorup of people staying in hotels and reproters from said market staying in NYC hotels eating at NYC resteraunts.

Wow that should cost the city millions way to go Chucky ol boy

We dont need millions from the NFL any way hell let the league move its offices too you can use the extra space for DOlans ego.

YOu want to know what Dolans problem is ? He lost the bidding on the Jets and he is bitter.

Had he got the Jets hed be demanding it get built.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Lets see the list

Ruined the

Rangers,

Kinicks,

MSG Network,

MSG Building,

THeater at MSG,

The Wiz stores,

Radio City,

Cablevision,

NFL Draft,

NYC Olympic Bid,

Bid to buy Yankees,

Bid to buy Jets,

Jets move to NYC,

Conventions,

NFL Draft

and so on

Way to go !

yeah!

"We have nothing to fear except fear itself."

Lets see what happens if Draft leaves NYC 32 teams with an entire gorup of people staying in hotels and reproters from said market staying in NYC hotels eating at NYC resteraunts.

Wow that should cost the city millions way to go Chucky ol boy

We dont need millions from the NFL any way hell let the league move its offices too you can use the extra space for DOlans ego.

YOu want to know what Dolans problem is ? He lost the bidding on the Jets and he is bitter.

Had he got the Jets hed be demanding it get built.

I think it'll stay in the city for that very reason. The only thing keeping this Jets stadium project alive is the efforts of a few politicians and a slim majority of residents. Moving the draft and all of the money that comes with it out of New York City would not be a good way for the NFL to endear itself to the city when it needs all the support it can get to get this stadium built.

From the Philadelphia Inquirer / Philly.com

It would be small comfort for a region still morose about that tilt in Jacksonville, Fla., last weekend.

But the Philadelphia area is under consideration to host one of the National Football League's signature events - the annual draft - in the wake of the league's decision to move this year's draft-day program out of New York City's Madison Square Garden.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in a telephone interview yesterday that Philadelphia would likely be the city to which the league turns if it cannot find a site in New York to hold the draft.

"Right now, the focus is on the New York area and Philadelphia - at least for this year," Aiello said. "This isn't a long-term solution. This is a short-term problem. We're looking for a place to hold the 2005 draft."

The draft, which disperses eligible college players to the league's 32 teams, is scheduled for April 23 and 24. For the last decade, it has been held at the Theatre at Madison Square Garden. It has become a free, two-day event for hard-core football fans, who pack the Theatre to cheer for their teams as they select players - and often boo the choices they don't like.

It was at the Theatre in 1999 that Eagles fans who had come up to New York booed the selection of quarterback Donovan McNabb with the second pick overall. The fans wanted the Eagles to take running back Ricky Williams instead.

The NFL has pulled the event from the Theatre this year as part of a dispute with the Garden's parent company, Cablevision. The communications giant is in the middle of a fight with the league about a proposed stadium site in New York that would house the Jets and would be part of the city's centerpiece for the 2012 Summer Olympic Games.

Cablevision, which also owns the Knicks and Rangers, wants to buy the land on which the Jets' stadium would be built, and use it for office buildings and housing instead of allowing it to be used for a sports facility that might threaten Madison Square Garden's status in the city.

The league's decision to leave the Theatre was first reported earlier this week by Sports Illustrated.com.

The league, which also had considered Boston and Washington as possible destinations, is hoping to work out a deal with the Jacob Javits Convention Center on New York's West Side.

Aiello said the NFL would like to have a venue that has more capacity than the 5,600-seat Theatre to accommodate more fans.

"The issue is, after we use the space to accommodate the media and ESPN [which televises the draft], maybe we'd like to have 3,000 to 5,000 seats for fans," Aiello said. "If we had 10,000, that would be fine. We can always cut back. You don't have to fill the arena."

Before the Super Bowl, NFL representatives visited Philadelphia to check out potential sites for the draft, according to Larry Needle, executive director of the Philadelphia Sports Congress, a unit of the Convention and Visitors Bureau.

"They had reached out to us several weeks ago and had a tour," he said.

NFL officials were shown the Pennsylvania Convention Center, the two arenas of the Wachovia Complex, and the Tweeter Center in Camden.

The Tweeter Center remains an option under consideration, Needle said.

The Convention Center has scheduling conflicts on the April 23-24 weekend. The Wachovia Center has reserved those dates in case of possible playoff games involving the 76ers. The Sixers could host a first-round NBA playoff game if they win their division and have home-court advantage in the opening round.

The Wachovia Spectrum is already booked for the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, according to Comcast-Spectacor.

Needle said he showed the sports venues to NFL officials "if not for this year, then at least with the future in mind."

The league is looking at Philadelphia for 2005, in part, because of the city's rich football history and direct connection to the draft. The original idea of helping weaker teams get stronger by giving them the first chance at incoming college talent, and then proceeding in inverse order of record, came from former Eagles owner and future NFL commissioner Bert Bell.

The NFL's first draft was held in Philadelphia at the Ritz-Carlton on Feb. 8, 1936. Jay Berwanger, the first Heisman Trophy winner, was the first player selected that year, by the Eagles, though he subsequently never played in the NFL.

"One of the attractions [to Philadelphia] is the historical angle," Aiello said. "And it's a fairly easy trip for the fans in New York who historically go to the draft. It's a short train ride down."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Because of Madison Square Garden's venomous and fierce battle against the proposed NY Jets/West Side Stadium, Paul Tagliabue has removed the NFL Draft from Madison Square Garden.

A new location should be announced within the week.

SOURCE: ESPN

(editing the title because the topic titles show up on the main sportslogos.net site)

Paul Tagliabue is freaking awesome. :notworthy:

Lets see the list

Ruined the

Rangers,

Kinicks,

MSG Network,

MSG Building,

THeater at MSG,

The Wiz stores,

Radio City,

Cablevision,

NFL Draft,

NYC Olympic Bid,

Bid to buy Yankees,

Bid to buy Jets,

Jets move to NYC,

Conventions,

NFL Draft

and so on

Way to go !

As a Braves fan, I could not agree more. :D

Won't happen, jp....

MSG runs the Civic Center as well...the state was running it when the Whalers were here, but then once they left, they divested themselves of control (was part of the agreement when the Rangers moved their AHL club from Binghamton to Hartford)....

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Lets see the list

Ruined the

Rangers,

Kinicks,

MSG Network,

MSG Building,

THeater at MSG,

The Wiz stores,

Radio City,

Cablevision,

NFL Draft,

NYC Olympic Bid,

Bid to buy Yankees,

Bid to buy Jets,

Jets move to NYC,

Conventions,

NFL Draft

and so on

Way to go !

You can add "interest in hockey in Hartford" to that list as well, seeing that the Wolf*Pack, despite their good record in recent years, seem to have a problem of having most folks going to games dressing as empty blue seats (so much so that they FINALLY closed off the upper levels of the HCC 2 seasons ago)...then again, they have nobody to blame but themselves seeing that in light of the lockout, they decided to JACK up ticket prices this year (seats down by the glass are up to $30/game...and this is for a MINOR LEAGUE HOCKEY TEAM)...

congrats, Chucky and Jimbo, you've got another satisfied customer here...so satisfied that I've sworn NEVER to step foot in the HCC, Rentschler Field (seeing MSG manages that for the state as well), or the Garden until these morons sell all their interests in the teams and buildings....

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Archived