11:00 am

goalieboy82

So it's at 1 pm Eastern now. I guess Bud Selig took over the NHL.

The times haven't changed. Bettman gave the PA until 11 to accept, in advance of the 1:00 presser.

At 11:00, EJ Hradek still felt that the league would put forth one final "final offer" with a cap around $45M -- putting the final call in the hands of the union.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I like how they portray it as only 6.5 apart. Spread that over the league and that's 195 million.

Also the owners offer offer of 42.7 included 2.2 for benefits, while the players 49 offer didn't. So if you add the benefits into the players deal, then they are 255 million apart. Because you know the players still want their benefits, they're just using some creative PR math.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

I like how they portray it as only 6.5 apart. Spread that over the league and that's 195 million.

Also the owners offer offer of 42.7 included 2.2 for benefits, while the players 49 offer didn't. So if you add the benefits into the players deal, then they are 255 million apart. Because you know the players still want their benefits, they're just using some creative PR math.

Even when the league was uncapped, you still had teams under $30M in payroll. The implementation of a cap isn't going to cause these teams to go into a spending frenzy. They'll still sit in their comfort zone.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I like how they portray it as only 6.5 apart.  Spread that over the league and that's 195 million.

Also the owners offer offer of 42.7 included 2.2 for benefits, while the players 49 offer didn't. So if you add the benefits into the players deal, then they are 255 million apart.  Because you know the players still want their benefits, they're just using some creative PR math.

Even when the league was uncapped, you still had teams under $30M in payroll. The implementation of a cap isn't going to cause these teams to go into a spending frenzy. They'll still sit in their comfort zone.

Yeah a cap doesn't help the revenue starved clubs anymore than this lockout does.

But, revenue sharing and a bottom threshold of 35 million in spending does force/help 10 teams spend more.

semperfi.gif

"To hell with those small market teams!" as one owner-type-guy once said (don't know who, so don't ask me). The cap isn't about helping the small market teams, it's about preventing Detroit and Philly and Colorado and New Jersey and Toronto and the Rangers from spending exorbitant amounts of money and taking all the talent in the league. Nashville and Florida and Pittsburgh et al. will never spend anyway, so screw 'em. Just keep the mid-range teams around so they can actually possibly compete with the big guys.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Morons.

Jackasses.

Dipweeds.

Hosers all.

You killed the good ol' hockey game.

The Stanley Cup will go unawarded, due to greed, stubbornness, and stupidity.

Doesn't that feel good?

Is your "cost certainty" and "free market" worth making one of the most recognizable trophies in the world grow cobwebs in the Hockey Hall of Fame?

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

I can't wait for December, so all this can start again.

semperfi.gif

Morons.

Jackasses.

Dipweeds.

Hosers all.

You killed the good ol' hockey game.

The Stanley Cup will go unawarded, due to greed, stubbornness, and stupidity.

Doesn't that feel good?

Is your "cost certainty" and "free market" worth making one of the most recognizable trophies in the world grow cobwebs in the Hockey Hall of Fame?

f u bettmen. :cursing:

so long and thanks for all the fish.

First off, it's Bettman. Secondly, don't double-post. Third, to blame this all on Bettman is ludicrous. He, Goodenow, the players, and the owners all have an equal share of the blame, and I hope neither GB nor BG get their jobs back once the NHL starts up again.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

I hope baseball and basketball learn from this. Those sports are worse off in terms of fluffed-up economic systems than the NHL. They may not have trouble turning profits, but there is no way any MLB team should be allowed to spend $200 million in one year. Not only does that create a massive disparity between the top team and the ones squeaking by at $40 million, but it's plainly stupid! Baseball needs something a hell of a lot more effective than a luxury tax (Steinbrenner, for one, doesn't give a rat's ass....he'll pay what he needs to try and win), and I foresee a longer shutdown than 1994, and even longer than this year's NHL lockout. Basketball may not be as serious, but they've been watching to see what to do when the NBA's CBA runs out, and I hope for the sake of hoops fans that they don't wait as long before starting to "negotiate."

But back to the NHL: fire both Bettman and Goodenow, drop six teams (Nashville, Florida, Anaheim, Phoenix, Atlanta, Carolina, for example) or move 'em to Canada. So they built brand-new arenas? So what? Still ain't puttin' asses in those seats either way....

Wagner Athletic Group

I agree completely!

Let's take baseball out of the South and West, NASCAR out of everywhere but the Southeast (I hear no complaining about that), Basketball out of the west, and Football out of the west.

Hell, let's take it one step further: No football in North America, because it's developed off of Rugby in Europe. No Baseball either, it's based on Cricket.

A Grand idea.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Archived