Your reaction to the cancelation

Puckguy14

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This'll be short, sweet, and to the point...

The inevitable happened...the NHL season is gone. Nobody won in this....it's more like "Who Loses?"...

The guy that worked the concessions stand.

The dude that served the beer.

The lady that collected your ticket at the door.

The folks at the souvenir stand.

The guy that runs the bar the players and fans frequented after games.

The couple that owns the restaurant nearby that got a lot of business from fans before games.

THOSE ARE THE ONES THAT LOSE IN THIS!

Congrats Gary and Bob....you did a lot more than ruin a game or a league...you put hard working people out of a job. Hope you two yutzes can sleep at night.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

The couple that owns the restaurant nearby that got a lot of business from fans before games.

Very true in downtown San Jose. Forgive for commenting on others. But this is one point that has to be known more. Places like Peggy Sue's or the Sonoma Chicken Coop that rely on fans to come before Sharks games. Most of these resturants had to shed half their staff. some might go out of business if the season is partially cancelled next season.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I still don't know how to react to this. I am shocked because I thought both the NHL and the PA would be able to reach an agreement before today. Guess I was wrong.

What pisses me most is the way both parties have been "trying" to negociate. It's been 153 days now since the lock-out started and they have met approximately 20 times (meetings that were announced). Each side knew this lock-out was coming, yet nobody took the initiative about negociating before even calling it.

I'm blaming both parties here, because of the weiners they had elected to take care of this business. I think the best move would be to form a panel of the best General Managers of the league (Lamoriello, for example) to manage the NHL, and do the same for the PA.

It took Linden to help the negotiations advance, and players had to personnaly call Bill Daly to get their message across. I hope the PA will fire Goodenow and that the NHL will do the same with Bettman.

Rotten tomatoes....

Shame on you for blanking the Stanley Cup.

As for the owners, I applaud them for taking the hard line here. I know this must not have been easy, but they know that they have put the league in big trouble. They are trying to rectify it, but it's a little too late, don't you think?

Players are as greedy as anyone else out there. Would you turn down a bigger salary if it was offered to you? However, complaining about the fact that they would loose 2 millions a season if they get a pay cut, that's whining for nothing (Brodeur). You'd still make a mere 6 millions.

I think that both sides need to get their priorities straight if they ever want this to work. If there is no more NHL, please start a new league with the original 6, then MORE TEAMS IN CANADA. :flagcanada: Southern states don't really care about hockey, as opposed to canadian fans who are still angry at some bad moves made by Bettman (Quebec and Winnipeg).

Bring hockey back where it belongs! :flagcanada:

OK, I'm done ^_^ That feels good!

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

This is such a sad fluffing day, I mean these two sides could not come up with a deal in the time they had? fluff em. I used to love the NHL but both sides just spit in the fans face (the only ones who lose in this). I dont believe there is anything the NHL can do to get me back as a fan. The league can whither away and die for all I care, it will not bother me anymore.

I wouldn't be suprised if the don't play any games next season, either. These sides won't agree on anything, to me, it looks like they've just come this close so they can both blame the other side for why the season is being cancelled. They had years to figure this out, and failed to do so. I see no reason why they'll get it done in the following year.

They're arguing about, theoretically, $6 million per team. And if the teams don't want to spend that much, or any other amount, they wouldn't have to.

IUe6Hvh.png

If Gary Bettman wants this league to be a "major" league, he, the owners, and the players are doing a bad job at projecting that image. I think everyone is to blame here. It's a group of people being too stubborn to care about the state of the sport (it is, in essence, the sport, because some people are going to hold this against the sport in general and not just the NHL), and so they got what they earned.

I saw this coming a while ago, but now that it's done, I'm fed up. Gary Bettman and Bob Goodenow don't have the cranial capacity nor the gumption for the jobs that they hold -- they should be working at McDonald's, and even then I'd be worried about them messing up my Big Mac.

We need REAL fans to run this league, not people who are overobsessed with numbers. I want hockey, not excuses.

If they come back next year, I will watch, because I'm a fan of the sport. I could not possibly care less who is in what uniform. If they think they can get more money playing in Russia, fine. Go ahead. I want people who actually give a rat's leg about the people who care about this sport and the league.

I second that motion!

Move Bettman back into the front office of the NBA, and ram Goodenow deep enough into the permafrost of Nunavut so that he can't get out.

Then give Gretzky the role as the commissioner of the NHL.

As for the NHLPA, maybe Messier? Lemieux? Someone respected.

This should not be about money.

This should not be about egos.

This should be about the game, and why there's going to be a blank space on the Stanley Cup laughing at us for the rest of time.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

The guy that worked the concessions stand.

The dude that served the beer.

The lady that collected your ticket at the door.

The folks at the souvenir stand.

I agree. The players and owners lost very little as opposed to the army of support workers and arena staff that count on a more modest paycheque.

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

Hockey didn't have the deep fan base that an NBA or Major League Baseball had when they had work stoppages, and in the long run both sides will pay the consequences for today's cancellation: less overall revenue, fewer teams, and a fan base that, if I'm any indication, couldn't care less if they ever play again. Where's the XFL when you need it? :P

nav-logo.png

You know, this is sad. I've never been a hockey fan in my life. Then last spring, I went and watched my cousin play in a tournament, and thought it was pretty cool. I went home and the playoffs had started the week before. My parents were out of the house, so I turned it on, thinking I might be able to get some homework done. To make a long story short, I was still on the couch when my parents came in the next morning, Sportscenter going through it's umpteenth re-run of the day. I started watching NHL re-runs on ESPN Classic over the summer, and was hooked. One of the things I was looking forward to this year, after moving into a dorm w/cable and nobody to complain, was watching more hockey. Granted, I still don't really care all that much about regular season games, and I don't have a particular team I like, I just got a rush from watching every second of action that had meaning. I feel sorry for all of you diehards out there, I know I was crushed when baseball went out 10 years ago and couldn't figure out why. Even now that I'm old enough to understand what they're talking about, I still don't understand why it had to come to this. I watched the press conference this morning and couldn't help but keep laughing at Bettman for his arrogance about the whole ordeal. In case any of you guys are listening FLUFF YOU!!!!!!!!

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

This was inevitable. I'm not mad, since I lost hope for this season a long time ago. It's just embarassing.

Now that the season's officially been cancelled, you'll see both sides, the NHL and NHLPA manipulate the Canadian media on who's to blame. I think that's why the NHL did that counter-offer at the last minute. It makes me sick because this is the game they've been playing all along since the end of last season. Hockey should be the only game played in the NHL.

The problem is, both sides are to blame for this, and they know it. They've always known it. That's why they turned to the Canadian media in the first place. The NHL knows that they're losing money because they expanded too quickly, and now you see watered down talent on teams while the franchise loses money because they didn't focus more to get some hype in the USA. The NHLPA knows that they are plain-out greedy and stubborn. You can argue on whether they really represent what's best for the players, because I don't know if all of them care about the money more than they care about the game they play for a career.

I love hockey, and I'd love to see them come back next year. I still have hope that this will work out in the long run, and I hope that after they get through this, they can look back and make sure this doesn't happen again.

I just don't know what will happen if I do lose that hope.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Great, now I have to find another sport that shows people beating the crap out of each other. Congrats, Bettman. Hope you'll be happy about losing half of your true fanbase and suffering the '95 (Baseball) Strike Syndrome. I hope you have some Cal Ripkens and Mark McGwires to save your butt when your league resumes play.

Great, now I have to find another sport that shows people beating the crap out of each other. Congrats, Bettman. Hope you'll be happy about losing half of your true fanbase and suffering the '95 (Baseball) Strike Syndrome. I hope you have some Cal Ripkens and Mark McGwires to save your butt when your league resumes play.

Does Sidney Crosby count?

That is, IF they can draft him.

Maple Leafs organization, if you're (somehow) reading this, DO WHATEVER YOU CAN, PULL EVERY STRING, GREASE EVERY PALM, SO CROSBY CAN TAKE TO THE ICE IN A LEAFS JERSEY!

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

Crosby will wait. The Draft is cancelled because of this pending a deal getting done before likely May at the latest.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

The NHL and owners screwed themselves up the ass during the last decade or so by paying monster salaries, the level of the game did go down, no good TV contract, not publicly advertised well, and the biggest Expanding and moving teams to awful markets. It is official. There are 3 major sports in North America. Thats it. I know there are a ton of hockey fans here, but face it, hockey is no longer a major sport. Its pretty sad. There should not be NHL teams in Phoenix, Nashville, Tampa Bay, Carolina, etc. I know there are some fans of these clubs here but they shouldnt be there.

Hockey doesnt make money when 75% of their money goes to huge player salaries, and these players are playing in empty buildings where noone(well little) people care.

Stupid NHLPA for waiting before 24hours of the deadline to except a cap. They shouldve just waited until next season, I think its embarrasing that theyd cave this late. If they did sooner they have a ton of time to negoitate a number.

Stpid hockey. Im so sick of it all. It wont happen but I want them to fold, and start all over again its such a mess.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

Archived