ESPN2 dropping hockey?

slapshot

i consider that good news... no more stars games being available ESPN-only anymore... with nhl center ice, that's all i'd need... i hate espn games, because the commentators make me want to mute the TV.

i'll take ralph and razor anyday.

This will be just the first revnue generating sponsor that the NHL loses.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

i consider that good news... no more stars games being available ESPN-only anymore... with nhl center ice, that's all i'd need... i hate espn games, because the commentators make me want to mute the TV.

i'll take ralph and razor anyday.

NHL Center Ice? I assume that is like NBA League Pass or something?

FOr hard core fans, that is fine, but to get the common fan to ever watch, the league needs ESPN or some cable network to cover it. I like hockey more than most Americans and I can tell you there is no way I am purchasing something like Center Ice. But i will watch some on ESPN, especially come playoff time.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Without ESPN or a national network deal, hockey becomes nothing more than like old time wrestling. A regional sport.

I subscribe to Centre Ice. But $169US is alot of money for anyone who doesn't absolutely love the game.

semperfi.gif

Like ESPN cared about hockey since they have the almighty roundball. Ever since ESPN took that NBA contract its like we'll push hockey to the side and the NBA can sleep with us all year long. They canned NHL2Night, yet they keep NBA2Night (now known as NBA Nation).

If I were Fox Sports Net, and want to rebuild the empire it once had, I'd get on that cable TV deal.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

$169? wow...I remember Comcast offering it for $139 last year.

My roommate and I split the cost of Centre Ice (it threw in the Juniors last year).

That may be the price, $139, if you get in before the season. Can't quite remember.

I wish they had Juniors down here. For the Money you have to fork out for the package, it should be on 24/7 with something.

semperfi.gif

actually i read a story where what they put on in place of hockey was getting better ratings anyways

That would be college basketball.

When an Alabama - Mississippi State game getsd higher ratings than a hockey game, you know the sport is in serious trouble here in the States.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

$169? wow...I remember Comcast offering it for $139 last year.

My roommate and I split the cost of Centre Ice (it threw in the Juniors last year).

That may be the price, $139, if you get in before the season. Can't quite remember.

I wish they had Juniors down here. For the Money you have to fork out for the package, it should be on 24/7 with something.

Due to the lockout they gave us OHL and NCAA instead of NHL (same price)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

actually i read a story where what they put on in place of hockey was getting better ratings anyways

That would be college basketball.

When an Alabama - Mississippi State game getsd higher ratings than a hockey game, you know the sport is in serious trouble here in the States.

Alabama-Mississippi State is a premium matchup. Plus, those states have no hockey.

Now if the Bruins/Red Wings got out done by Boston College/Michigan St. that would be another story.

semperfi.gif

does 1988-1992 ring a bell folks??

You mean when the NHL national contract was on "SportsChannel America" or whatever it was called?

Until the day comes when Murdoch creates a truly national sports channel -- one that isn't reliant on piggy-backing on RSNs -- then Fox is not a viable national outlet.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

Alabama-Mississippi State is a premium matchup.  Plus, those states have no hockey.

Now if the Bruins/Red Wings got out done by Boston College/Michigan St. that would be another story.

Premium matchup? For whom? I'd say 95% of the population couldn't care less about SEC college basketball until March, especially those two teams. People would just rather watch basketball than hockey. That's why the NHL is in trouble.

And remember, ESPN ratings are done nationally, not regionally, so I still wouldn't be surprised if Boston College/Michigan State outdrew Bruins/Red Wings. If Boston College/Michigan State outdrew Avs/Red Wings (seriously, I'm not being a homer here), then there could be some worries.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Here's a weird story/thing I've noticed about sports and cable TV...

As recently as 7 years ago, the Celtics and Whalers were on SportsChannel (also called SportsChannel New England). From whatever highlights I could watch on ESPN, it seemed that most of the country had their own regional versions of SportsChannel. Fox Sports bought out SportsChannel, and various other independent regional sports stations, and renamed them all "Fox Sports Net" or something along those lines.

Now, when NHL Centre Ice or MLB Extra Innings broadcasts games around the country, most of the teams are on Fox Sports Net. There aren't many other independent stations broadcasting games. NESN is one, YES is another, I'm not sure of the rest.

Unlike ESPN, which is pretty much one game broadcast nationwide, all the Fox Sports Net stations still act independently of one another. So even if FSN had the rights to NHL hockey, there doesn't appear to be a nationwide non-ESPN sports channel that would guarantee the whole cable & satellite nation would see the same game.

Is Fox trying to create a nationwide sports channel different from the regional Fox Sports Net stations? If Fox bought the rights to NHL games, would they be back on FOX network, or would all the FSN stations still carry the same feed? I don't know, maybe this is why Fox wants to operate another sports network.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Is Fox trying to create a nationwide sports channel different from the regional Fox Sports Net stations? If Fox bought the rights to NHL games, would they be back on FOX network, or would all the FSN stations still carry the same feed? I don't know, maybe this is why Fox wants to operate another sports network.

I don't know about you, but I'm curious to see the NHL on FOX just to hear what type over-bombasticly-cool theme song they come up with.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I don't know about you, but I'm curious to see the NHL on FOX just to hear what type over-bombasticly-cool theme song they come up with.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

I miss the Goal-bots. :wacko:

Now, when NHL Centre Ice or MLB Extra Innings broadcasts games around the country, most of the teams are on Fox Sports Net. There aren't many other independent stations broadcasting games. NESN is one, YES is another, I'm not sure of the rest.

There's still a few around...and a few more starting up

MSG's still there, broadcasting the cruddy Knicks and (when they're playing) the cruddier Rangers and the Mets every once in a blue moon too...I know Sunshine is still in business down in FL, and there's Turner Sports (essentially the old SportsSouth) down in ATL.

Unfortunately, from what some friends of mine with the dish told me, it seems that Empire folded up shop as well....kinda sad seeing they always had Amerks games on there when the Sabes were off.

I know the Avs & Nuggs were to launch a new network soon (dunno if they did or not...I think it's supposed to be called Altitude) and the Bobcats have their own channel as well (don't remember the name of it, all I know is that the Canes were gonna be on there too)...and in 2006, the Mets are launching their own channel (just to get out from under the thumb of the Dolan Empire...which is a VERY good thing, IMO)...

To be honest, I think there's a new player emerging in the cable sports channel market to challenge FOX and ESPN...that would be Comcast. They already have the Philly & DC markets and just added Chicago as well.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Archived