Tampa bay lightning concept project

Sterling84

thankyou, Sterling.

you're work is high quality, just untamed.  I like your old man lightning, but, it's got too much going on and it needs a definable shape. I'd develop the character into more of a full featured guy.  Right now, you rely on the black backround to fill in the missing pieces.  Take the guy, give him a chest, maybe the top of another arm, and seal off the outside, making him have a clear outline.  Then stick him in, say, a silver circle or oval, and it will start to come together.  Keep working on it.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, how I wish that I possessed the computer design skills that so many of you seem to. I'm a self-taught "dabbler" in graphic design (free-hand, working in pencils, submitting my designs to a professional friend to be cleaned up when I actually get around to helping other family and friends with their projects... a restaurant logo here, a theater troupe logo there, etc).

Anyway, since I gave birth to the whole "storm god" idea, I feel that it's somehow my personal responsibility to accurately and compellingly communicate what I'm envisioning in my mind's eye. The easiest way seems to be pointing folks in the direction of a concrete reference.

For starters, I like the basic physical action portrayed in the logo of Australian Rugby League's Melbourne Storm ( www.melbournestorm.com.au ). Now, let me make one thing perfectly clear: the logo art itself is mediocre at best. The rendering of the details is far too "unfinished". It screams Golden State Warrior meets the aliens from "Cocoon"! I'm saying that I like the basic action of preparing to hurl a lightning bolt and the general layout within the overall logo. I also don't mind the storm cloud idea either.

As for a "style"... again, I have to say that what comes closest to referencing what I'm thinking of is something akin to 1930-40's Soviet propaganda art. Which isn't too far removed from what the folks at Osaki Design were referencing with their Berlin Thunder alternate logo.

Also, there's got to be some sort of framing device within the logo design. We can't just have the "god" floating out there in the ether. Maybe the "cloud" depiction plays some role in that?  

I don't know... maybe I'm just completely fried. I've been wrestling with this idea for a Tampa Bay Lightning concept ever since I laid eyes on the lame-ass logo the unveiled when they entered the league.

Speaking of deities, maybe that's the solution...

Oh wise, benevolent and powerful Logo Gods... deliver unto your humble - and altogether fried - servant, a vision of the logo which I seeketh. Allow my fellow Creamerites to see that which remaineth locked away inside my furrowed brow. I beseech thee...

Brian in Boston

Here is another lightning logo, it's a shield with a lightning bolt on it. This was my first time using illustrator to some extent. I had trouble making the bolt, and the words curved (I have version 9) so I did both of those parts in photoshop. This I think can go along with the Storm God Idea or stand alone. copy paste link

Tampa Logo

I'm diggin' the idea behind the Melbourne Storm logo. Maybe because it's almost exactly what I said I had in mind for the logo.  Just change the guy into a more Zeus like figure. I think my description is back on page 3.

edit:  here's what I said.  Compare it to the Melbourne Storm logo.  Just place a Zeus character in and BAM!

"For Zeus, I have an idea in my head of a logo. I se a man, pretty angry looking with two tone gold skin. He has a big and curly white beard with silver accents. He also has big eyebrows. Honnolulu blue eyes? He's holding a lightning bolt in his right hand, ready to throw. Possibly we see his body down just above his abs. The rest of him is lost in a stormy cloud(dark grey). Everything outlined in Honoululu blue or white."

Cocoon was cool. Brian Dennehey as an alien...makes sense.

well, this topic as fallen sort of flat.  So maybe this will give it a little spark.

I took the Melbourne Storm logo and did a little editing.  I'm not proposing we use this logo because it is still very similar to the Storm's logo.  I just wanted to show this as a point to start from.  I know the hand and the hair are really really bad, but I did it really quick.  I didn't spend a whole lot of time on this because I just want this to start some design ideas.  

Edited Storm

Wordmarks by Whchoclte.

How do you draw the lightning in illustrator, I'm tring to do a cleaned up version of my previous logo but I can get the lightning drawn in. I can get the lines straight, and i'm using the shift key. I have version 9.0

Also, Sabres I like the god logo, but not the shield.

Yikes!!!

Down to page 3 already huh?  

Anyway, sorry I've been off the board for a week or so...been busy on some graphics projects...not fun ones like this.  

Well, it's now July.  I think I am going to proceed with this however the bulk of the board desires.  If the consensus is we should take the three best logos/three best jersey concepts and work soley on those as a group..then great.

If the flavor has burned off and this post dies...that's ok too I guess.  I think it showed, at least somewhat, the power of this community when it unites.

Sorry if I cheesed anyone off by starting this...I certainly didn't want to monopolize the creative force or turn this forum into something that it isn't.  It's just always been my personal "way" to go balls to the wall and try to affect real change at the highest level...why not right?  All that can happen is you get turned down.  'Course my strategy hasn't always worked....seldom if ever actually.  

So even if this dies a slow, embarrassing death...I think everyone who posted did a fantastic job and should be commended.  I would also encourage every one of you guys....if it is your goal..to keep at it.  Something about a great designer is clearly innate, but everything else can be learned on the web, through books, and through open critique with peers.  Many of you (us) aren't that far from being where we want to be.

Again, if it's not your cup of tea and you just want to come here to discuss logos and stuff and talk shop then I apologize for rocking the boat.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Thanks STL....'preciate that.

I agree...these things take the "pros" like 18 months so we don't have to rush it.

I should bring the board in on my Bucks proposal...I mean, I never posted it cause I thought it had a prayer...but I could use the input of everyone....maybe I'll start another thread in a day or so.

anyone else??

with a Bolts opinion I mean?

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I want to keep this alive.  I don't care if it doesn't have a chance, I loved working on this thread.  I agree with STL Fanatic.  We have some great stuff, but we need more before we take the next step.

Hey guys,  I've been on vacation and I just got back.  I actually posted my jersey concept an hour before I left for the airport.  I definitly think with maybe another concept or 2 we can get this thng going again.  I enjoyed watching everyone get it on a major project.  I'm hoping to put a few more concepts in soon.  Hopefully that will get things going again.

I think the thread is great although I believe we are heading about it wrong.  There was only a few logos posted and we automatically went right into uniforms.  The logo in my opinion and through my work always comes first.  It leads to the uniform and wordmark.

I tweaked my original Palm Tree logo with some shadows which I will post later, but I know it wasnt a fan favorite the first tiem around.  I am working on a few concepts in my spare time which isnt alot.  Hopefully we can get rolling again.

Although I havent contributed to it, I think this is a great thread! Great to see people bouncing ideas off of each other and tweaking ideas! If it wasn't a hockey team I would be playing a more active role, but I don't know enough about hockey really to contribu8te very much! Keep going though!!!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived