Tampa bay lightning concept project

Sterling84

I think there's something similar used by one of the Army's divisions. Maybe I'm wrong on that... I live right next to a military base, so I see those kinds of things a lot, but my memory might be failing me.

I had also thought of using a Thor reference, but it seems a little far-fetched for TB's hockey team. Maybe if there was a very stylized type of Thor logo to where it wasn't like a comic book rendering or such. Maybe something like the Los Angeles Avengers logo, only incorporating lightning of course.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only problem I have with using Thor is that he's the Norse god of thunder.  Granted thunder is tied to lightning, but it still is off.  Is there a god of lightning?  Zeus always has a lightning bolt.  I still like the idea of using a god or something like that, I just think we have to find the right god, them work on the designing of him.

The only problem I have with using Thor is that he's the Norse god of thunder. Granted thunder is tied to lightning, but it still is off. Is there a god of lightning? Zeus always has a lightning bolt. I still like the idea of using a god or something like that, I just think we have to find the right god, them work on the designing of him.

Actually, Thor *is* associated with lightning. In Norse mythology, he was the only one of the gods not allowed to cross the rainbow bridge, Bifrost, for fear that his lightning would destroy it.

Zeus would be good, except for the fact that Zeus was a manwhore. He had hundreds of wives and even more children. Of course, I don't know how many people are aware of that fact. ;) I do think Thor would be a more recognizable symbol, however. Otherwise, it'll just be some muscular guy holding a thunderbolt, and need I remind you of how retarded the Golden State Warriors logo looks based on that concept.

Just my two cents. :)

I didn't know that about Thor and lightning.  Very interesting.  In that case, if we do a god concept, we should probably use Thor.  I'll look around for some images of him in paintings and such so we can get a feel of what we'd be doing.

I agree with Snowcap a bit on this one. Especially seeing as we're having enough trouble figuring out who's who, how is the normal Joe gonna relate? I'd go with Zeus... he's strongly identified with the lightning bolt, strength, and power, and he's more widely known (IMO) than Thor, thanks to the Hercules movies, video games, etc. And few people know of his womanizing ways (the way I learned it, he had one 'wife', Hera, but many mistresses).

But some of the designs we have now are outstanding, and don't require the use of a god that convolutes the message we're trying to convey. I know if we used whichever god effectively, it could be cool and stuff, but it'd be very easy to lose focus.

Snowcap, your jerseys are pretty cool, however for some reason I think it'd look better with a thicker white line separating the black from the blue trim, and vice versa. Also, if you made that swoop design a little like the bolt in the logo, I think that could look sweet. Again, the lightning in the logo needs to be a little more vertical, but then again, I seem to be the only one who holds this opinion.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I agree with Yzer, go whith a generic lightning god, but if we do go with Zeus, or Thor fo with Zeus. He's more known and he's the number 1 god. You want your logo to say your #1, what better than the top god. Go with Zeus even though he was an incest man-whore.

I'm posting a lot, but I've got nothing better to do, it's raining like crazy.

There was a 1mm image of Thor inscribed on a microchip.  I found a picture of it and colored it in.  It was pretty hard.  This logo doesn't uses some colors we don't want and some silver.  I'm not proposing it as a logo, but just to give you an idea of Thor.  The other image in the link is Thor's hammer, which would shoot out lightning bolts when struck.  

Thor

The problem I have with using a god is skin color.  Gods like Thor and Zeus are thought of today as caucausian.  We don't want to do that because of p.c.ness and peachy pink isn't a good color.  We could use some gold which I think would work, but we wouldn't use gold in the uniform design.

For Zeus, I have an idea in my head of a logo.  I se a man, pretty angry looking with two tone gold skin.  He has a big and curly white beard with silver accents.  He also has big eyebrows.  Honnolulu blue eyes?  He's holding a lightning bolt in his right hand, ready to throw.  Possibly we see his body down just above his abs.  The rest of him is lost in a stormy cloud(dark grey).  Everything outlined in Honoululu blue or white.  What do you think?  Anyone want to take a stab at it?

2 things,

1) Sabres, I like the Idea, but I don't like the logo. Maybe it's the gray face, also I think the god should have a lightning bolt so that even an idiot could figure it out.

2.) I did an 3rd jersey concept, it's not classical like my other one. It's a combo of the top of the Thrashers Jersey and the Islanders 3rd jersey. I always thought that the triangles on the Isles jersey's would be better for the lightning. I tried to turn the triangles to look like lightning bolts (It needs work), plus I need to add back numbers, I couldn't get them to look good. It's a start, so here it is copy paste.

Tampa Third Jersey's

i thik it looks too much like a hybrid, if u make it a little more unique by making it one design it might work...

i never got any comments on these jerseys but i posted them at a concept-rich time. Theyre are now more combos (same colors, used differently). They are also clearer now because I didnt have all this excess space in the paint file.

the main design is really roger clementes and the logo is nitroseeds, so i give them full credit for that.  What I did is i took the hurricanes square stuff out and put in lightning striping on the sleves, and now that I think of it the bottom should have that too, but o well.

signature.gif

heres my stab at a primary logo, script and all...i have to say it was greatly based off of nitroseed's logo, he deserves some credit. There are 2 options one with the current color set and one without. I used a dark gray with more of a blueish tint to it aswell, if anyone wants the official colors, let me know.

lightning1.gif

lightning2.gif

I'm liking what I'm seeing Puckcool. Some thick striping, with a bit of flair that sets it apart from anything else. Good colour proportions, I like 1 through 4 the best.

Greg: The first one looks more solid... maybe a little too much empty space, but otherwise very cool. On the wordmark, I thought it would be cool if somehow the bolt extended from the last letter like the baseball-ish tail the Dodgers have on their wordmark.

Great work both of you.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I'm LOVING the excitement that has been generated by this thread! We're on the verge of creating something fascinating here.

In any event, just to clarify my initial comments on incorporating a lightning/thunder/storm "god" in the logo. My reasoning was that it sometimes becomes tremendously difficult to generate a compelling logo for a name that describes an inanimate object... or a concept rather than a iconic/totemic mascot. IMHO, I felt that one of the stumbling blocks in coming up with a truly compelling logo system for the Lightning was that there was only so much that you could do with a lightning bolt. I mean, since Billy Batson first muttered, "Shazam", and Captain Marvel showed up with a lightning bolt emblazoned on his chest...well, I guess I'm just saying that a lightning bolt emblazoned on the front of a costume/uniform has been done to death.

As for mentioning Thor and Zeus by name, I was only using them as a reference point. I think that whether you went with a figure that appeared to be a Norse storm god or a Greco-Roman storm god is immaterial. What I was trying to communicate is that the figure should look powerful, intimidating, supreme... and classically "god-like". The reason behind this is so that we don't end up with some unidentifiable pseudo-"god" icon like the one the Golden State Warriors went with. As I also mentioned, I would prefer that said figure be clutching/throwing/preparing to throw a lightning bolt(s)... you know, conveying some action.

I don't believe that the storm god should be "cartoony". Anything but. In my mind's eye, I'm visualizing something akin to the figures in 1930-40's Soviet propaganda art. Very stark, very bold, very powerful. As for worrying about the skin tone of the storm-god icon, if silver is one of the colors in the Lightning's palette then go with that. Details can then be rendered in blue and black.

I honestly believe that this would be a very dynamic concept. Worrying about whether to use a Norse storm god vs. a Greco-Roman storm god, whether people will believe that the storm god is caucasian or not, whether said storm god fathered a couple of dozen children out of wedlock, etc. is immaterial. Also, we should give the public a bit more credit with regard to the finished design. If they see a muscular, intimidating figure in the logo, and said figure just happens to be heaving lightning bolts around, I'm going to guess that they'll realize that it is supposed to be a mythological representation of the power and majesty of lightning.

Hot damn! This project has got me excited! What an outstanding idea it was to start this thread.

Brian in Boston

The great thing about collaboration is that with enough minds working on the same problem, almost anything is achievable.

Then again, they've said that with an infinite number of monkeys sitting at an infinite number of typewriters, one of them will bang out the script to Hamlet... Take that for what it's worth.

:)

Now wait a minute, Nitroseed. I'd heard that some of the plays credited to William Shakespeare had actually been written by Christopher Marlowe. If this is true, am I to now believe - based on your most recent assertion - that "Christopher Marlowe" is nothing more than a pseudonym being used by a team of Elizabethan playwright primates? This is the stuff that they never tell you about in Advanced Placement English.

Brian in Boston

I like the statement about the old propoganda posters. Hard angles, serious, lifelike, intense. If one of our Illustrator friends could try and make a god-throwing-bolt logo, that would be awesome. I would do it myself, but I don't have those skills. This is cartoonish, but whenever I think of this god-like idea, the Kings king head logo always comes to mind. I did the linked design a while ago, but the king head is something I think is good. It's fierce, it's not too detailed, and it's got a white beard. I may be alone here, but the white beard adds to the god-like feel. I originally envisioned the logo I had in mind facing forward, but now I think it might be better in a profile.

King head

Archived