The thing I hate about designing logos....

iDonovan

No matter how many time I do it...it is almost always the same. I usually do three of four design, when working on a logo. Most take a couple of hours to do. Then I add one that takes ten minutes and I slap it together, using it to try to get the guy to pick the one I like....but they pick the one I slapped together. I did these for a small lacrosse tournament, which one do you think they picked.

trad.jpg

I know exactly what you mean. When i show my portfolio to potential clients, the ones they always give the most positive response to are the ones that literally took 5 minutes to do. My Sacramento Royals logo is the best example. I created it for filler in a fantasy league, and it's my most popular logo. :blink:

Did they pick the blue one?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Words of wisdom from one of my professors...I didn't think twice about it until I got into the real world.

Never show a client anything that you aren't 100% in love with. Because they will always pick the design you hate.

Then I add one that takes ten minutes and I slap it together, using it to try to get the guy to pick the one I like....but they pick the one I slapped together.

I hate that.... just happened to me last month, i dont think i'm portfolioing that design.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

It reminds me of something I heard an oil painter say on an instructional show she used to have on public television. She said something to the effect of "nobody cares how much time and effort went into the piece, only how good it looks like to them in the end". She said it a lot better but the idea still sticks with me.

LT

I think the quote was..."Here's a happy little tree....that'll be our little secret there....yeah...and if you tell anyone that tree is there...I'll come to your house...and I'll cut you!"

Never show a client anything that you aren't 100% in love with. Because they will always pick the design you hate.

Isn't the goal to please the client? That quote doesn't make sense to me.

idonovan... did you intentionally not capitalize "lives" in the bottom logo?

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

I think the quote was..."Here's a happy little tree....that'll be our little secret there....yeah...and if you tell anyone that tree is there...I'll come to your house...and I'll cut you!"

Dead nearly ten years and poor Bob Ross still gets no respect.

"Just remember, there's no such thing as a mistake; only a happy accident."

I had the same thing happen back in 2001. My best friend started a temporary labor business (similar to Labor Ready and Labor Connection). I had an awesome logo picked, and it was rejected for a quick thing I did in 15 minutes. It sucks, but what you do is you put it in your portfolio (because after all, it is a piece you put something into.) along with the rejected looks. Salvage everything you can for your portfolio. Most will say, "THEY WENT WITH THAT? This one over here is better. No wonder no merchandise sold, that first one is awesome! What was that lacrosse tourney director thinking?"

IDonovan, you have some amazing work, but the tourney really dropped the ball. Oh well, $#!+ happens and we move on.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

i suspect they picked the bottom logo, but i'll be honest, i think it's solid regardless of the time spent...simple, understated - i think they would have had a great logo with any of the 3 (although i'm not a huge fan of the blue one...the font for "Lives" bothers me)

jldesigns404eo.png

I know exactly what you mean. When i show my portfolio to potential clients, the ones they always give the most positive response to are the ones that literally took 5 minutes to do. My Sacramento Royals logo is the best example. I created it for filler in a fantasy league, and it's my most popular logo. :blink:

I prefer the Royals logo over the others on your site.

No offence to the others, but that one looks great.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Archived