Jersey Popping

Waffles

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/22/sports/n...22uniforms.html

Here's a tidbit from the article:

The most fashionable trend in sports celebrations will probably not reach the National Basketball Association. It is as innocent as a letterman's sweater, as old-fashioned as school pride, reserved only for people who can wear the name of their alma mater across their chest.

It can be spotted after a two-handed dunk, a 10-0 run or an upset victory, when the most jubilant player instinctively grabs the front of his jersey with both hands and displays it to the crowd, framing the college name as if he also works for the admissions office.

I've noticed this a lot in this year's tourney. Still not annoying as collar popping.

I think it is cool that these high profile athletes recognize the peeps back at their schools. As a student and fan this woudl speak right to me- like the player is saying 'I just dunked and I did it for y'all back at State U."

Sure beats the chest/heart pounding thing. What the hell is that anyway?

fade.gif

i'm sure a couple of them are givin props to the school, but soon, if it hasnt happened already, everyone is gonna do it just cuz its the "in" thing. There will be no meaning behind it, except "hey i'm cool too, lemme pop my jersey"

But yeah, it is better than chest thumpin, and puttin both arms up to the head, whatever that was.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Eh, its alot better than anything else they can be doing. At least they don't break a cell phone off the backboard or take off their jersey and autograph for someone. Those are classy celebrations.

Is it showboating? Yes. But its alot more respectful to represent the fans of your team than it is to turn the jersey around and "pop" the name on the back which alot of athletes are basically doing.

Eh, its alot better than anything else they can be doing. At least they don't break a cell phone off the backboard or take off their jersey and autograph for someone. Those are classy celebrations.

Is it showboating? Yes. But its alot more respectful to represent the fans of your team than it is to turn the jersey around and "pop" the name on the back which alot of athletes are basically doing.

Dee Brown is doing it in your sig, just noticed that.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

yeah i have been noticing that as the trend all year...it is in the nba too...josh smith did it after his winning dunk in the slam competition

That's the only time we will ever see anybody representing the Hawks without shame. :D

Anyways, popping the jersey is a fun way to say "BUCKNELL DID IT"

I don't mind this one bit...heck, I didn't mind when Julius Hodge did it after NC State beat UConn on Sunday <_<

It's harmless...and it's kinda cool when it's they're popping the name on the front...

If someone starts doing the one on the back....then we got problems :lol:

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Im waiting to see someone in NBA do jersey poping where they raise the back area where the players name is. How much you bet Kobe would do it first, since the name on the back of his jersey is more importnat then the one on the front.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• 2 weeks later...
Im waiting to see someone in NBA do jersey poping where they raise the back area where the players name is. How much you bet Kobe would do it first, since the name on the back of his jersey is more importnat then the one on the front.

^_^

Archived