AP chimes in on alt uniform trend

CubsFanBudMan

At first, I was totally against alternate uniforms. But lately I've realized that white vs gray is pretty boring, and getting some color in the game isn't a bad idea. But if I were commish, here's some rules I would make:

- Only one team can wear an alt at a time! The other night the Rangers wore blue vs. the Blue Jays in black, and it looked totally stupid.

- Each team is allowed one home, one road, and one alt! (not including one-time things, like the Padres military day unis). None of this "5 different unis" crap. Do the Mets really need a pinstriped white AND a plain white? Of course not. White, gray, alt.

- Only the home team can wear an alt! Okay, I'm not 100% on this one, I guess. But why bother trying to impress the road fans?

- The colored top has to be considered the alt! I HATE that the Marlins wear their black top seemingly ALL the time. You should be allowed to wear the alt twice a week, tops.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I wish the Tigers would get a blue alternate fashioned like their home jersey for Sunday home games.

At first, I was totally against alternate uniforms. But lately I've realized that white vs gray is pretty boring, and getting some color in the game isn't a bad idea. But if I were commish, here's some rules I would make:

- Only one team can wear an alt at a time! The other night the Rangers wore blue vs. the Blue Jays in black, and it looked totally stupid.

- Each team is allowed one home, one road, and one alt! (not including one-time things, like the Padres military day unis). None of this "5 different unis" crap. Do the Mets really need a pinstriped white AND a plain white? Of course not. White, gray, alt.

- Only the home team can wear an alt! Okay, I'm not 100% on this one, I guess. But why bother trying to impress the road fans?

- The colored top has to be considered the alt! I HATE that the Marlins wear their black top seemingly ALL the time. You should be allowed to wear the alt twice a week, tops.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I wish the Tigers would get a blue alternate fashioned like their home jersey for Sunday home games.

Good call, I do like the Sunday afternoon home game being sort of a special thing. I wouldn't mind if the Dodgers busted out a blue jersey for that.

What the Yankees should do is have an alt that's navy blue, but has the Yankees script on it in white. It's a sweet wordmark that they don't use on either of their uniforms.

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

With powder blue: Twins, Blue Jays, Royals, Mariners, Rangers, Expos, Braves, Mets, Phillies, Cardinals, Brewers, Cubs, Dodgers.

With gray: Orioles, Red Sox, Yankees, White Sox, Indians, Tigers, Angels, Athletics, Reds, Pirates, Padres, Giants.

Team in its own world: Astros.

I grew up watching tons of National League games in Philadelphia during the Powder Blue Era, and I am 99.999% sure the Dodgers and Mets NEVER rocked the powder blues. For a couple of years, the Mets wore a royal blue every now and again on the road that resembled a BP jersey. But both teams stayed with the traditional grays.

And going the other way, the 1971-1975 White Sox did wear powder blues with the red trim before the late '70s and their venture into the world of shorts and the wide-lapel collars.

The rest of the lists are correct as you recall them.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

1. Astros red vs. Cubs blue isn't TOO offensive. black and blue is though. I see where you're coming from and I'll say that's probably a good idea.

2. YES. What the Mets are doing is completely ridiculous. (Also, they have too many jerseys.)

3. I'm not 100% impressed either.

4. Marlins wear black too much. Yes.

Me, I'd require city names on road greys, and yes, limit the alt abuse.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Here's how I would solve the Mets and Astros' problems of too many unis...

Mets

Home: White w/o pinstripes, blue cap, blue bill, NY logo

Away: What They Have Right Now, same cap

Alt: Black Alt with "Mets: script, black cap, black bill, alt NY logo

Astros

Home: White w/o pinstripes, brick red cap

Away: What they have Right Now, black cap

Alt: Brick red alt with "Astros" script, brich red cap

That's what I think they should go to IMO.

but i would like to see something more innovative than standard grey.

Actually, given the fact that most every other North American professional sports league mandates that its member teams wear either White or color jerseys depending upon where they're playing, MLB's choosing to mandate White home and Grey road uniforms would be the truly unique - and innovative - practice.

Yup. It's a distinguishing difference. I like it and look forward to the pendulum swinging back in that direction.

"Conduct may be founded on the hard rock or the wet marshes."

for all of you who feel that white and grey is just too boring, take a look at the padres. they dont use grey as their away uniform, they use a sand color. persoanlly i love the idea and think that more teams should take that type of difference into consideration. also the giants use an off white/cream color for their home uniforms. lastly, no one has put an opinion of vests as alternates. i believe that they should be used instead of all of these solid colored jerseys. the vests allow for more of the color to show through the sleeves of the undershirt. i mean this is is just an opinion.

Miami.png

Archived