Syracuse SkyChiefs Name Change?

Waffles

Good. I always thought "SkyChiefs" was a dumb name (and the reason for changing it equally dumb), so I'm happy to see the owners there come to their senses.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

so they're gonna be regular Chiefs again instead of SkyChiefs...finally. they didn't need to change it in the first place and that flying bat's ridiculous.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

When the Syracuse ball club added the word "Sky" to their name in '97 one of the reasons they cited was the new name would be "less offensive" to Central New York's large Native American community.

Frankly the indian-based logos the Chiefs used were always very tasteful. Not like the cartoon-inspired Chief Wahoo of Cleveland fame. A return to the "Chiefs" would be a welcome indication that hey, we tried to be "PC," it didn't work very well so we're going back to our roots. End of discussion.

so they're gonna be regular Chiefs again instead of SkyChiefs...finally. they didn't need to change it in the first place and that flying bat's ridiculous.

I don't see any reason as to why the batplane would go anywhere. :(

Good, Chiefs is a better name anyway. And what they had was a lot more respectful of the Native Americans then Chief Wahoo.

Although Skychiefs also made SORTA sense, Lockheed Martin is a big employer in that area, and I think there's a US Air Force Squadron named "The Boys from Syracuse"....

But Chiefs is better.

Insert Witty Signature Here.

Team management has already indicated that if a full-time return is made to the "Chiefs" identity, it will not be accompanied by a logo featuring Native American imagery.

I guess they will be using a dalmation then

I saw, I came, I left.

Well, the team's General Manager John Simone did mention police chiefs and fire chiefs in his statement about the team not going back to Native American imagery if the "Chiefs" name is adopted full-time.

Still, utilizing a dalmatian in the team's logo would call to mind the new logo of the Midwest League's Peoria Chiefs.

172.jpeg.300.jpeg

top.gif

Team management has already indicated that if a full-time return is made to the "Chiefs" identity, it will not be accompanied by a logo featuring Native American imagery.

I guess they will be using a dalmation then

Lol. I can only imagine what the uniforms would look like....

Insert Witty Signature Here.

• 1 year later...

Not that I think it would happen, but they could always adopt a Scottish motif as the head of a clan was often caled a "chief" or "chieftain". I hardly think anyone with Scottish ancestory will raise a fuss.

I didn't find offense with "Sky Chiefs" either. I always thought of barnstormers even before I saw the logo.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Weird how the SkyChiefs are related.... Blue jays dropped the "Blue" To just only jays. Now SkyChiefs are thinking of changing just to Chiefs and dropping the "Sky". Weird how it works out lol.

4kv29i.jpg

Good, Chiefs is a better name anyway. And what they had was a lot more respectful of the Native Americans then Chief Wahoo.

Although Skychiefs also made SORTA sense, Lockheed Martin is a big employer in that area, and I think there's a US Air Force Squadron named "The Boys from Syracuse"....

But Chiefs is better.

I thought the "Sky" was adapted for two reasons: 1) The Indiana nickname paranoia of the 90s that also forced St John's to change it's nickname, and 2) for the SkyDome of the parent club.

That said, I enjoyed when minor league teams tried to look like a junior version of the big club -- the old Clippers, Tidewater Tides, and Syracuse Chiefs. I know there are still plenty of teams like that in existence, but those were the teams I saw most often come through Rochester when I was a kid. Oh well.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Weird how the SkyChiefs are related.... Blue jays dropped the "Blue" To just only jays. Now SkyChiefs are thinking of changing just to Chiefs and dropping the "Sky". Weird how it works out lol.

...What? I don't see any connection there. The Blue Jays never dropped the "Blue" part of their name. That doesn't make any sense in any way.

In any case, I remember the old chief logo with the blue feathers and the rather polygonal face. I always thought that was a pretty sweet logo - I even remember buying a cap with the old logo on it when I was younger. Now that they're going back, I'd like to see it again, but it's too bad that in this era of sensitivity and correctness it can't be done.

...What? I don't see any connection there. The Blue Jays never dropped the "Blue" part of their name. That doesn't make any sense in any way.

In any case, I remember the old chief logo with the blue feathers and the rather polygonal face. I always thought that was a pretty sweet logo - I even remember buying a cap with the old logo on it when I was younger. Now that they're going back, I'd like to see it again, but it's too bad that in this era of sensitivity and correctness it can't be done.

The SkyChiefts are the Blue Jays minor league team. When the Blue Jays changed there logo and uniforms, they also dropped the "blue" in Jay. If they didnt you would probally see "Blue Jays" on there uniforms, but i dont.

4kv29i.jpg

The SkyChiefts are the Blue Jays minor league team. When the Blue Jays changed there logo and uniforms, they also dropped the "blue" in Jay. If they didnt you would probally see "Blue Jays" on there uniforms, but i dont.

The Jays never dropped "Blue" they are still called the "Toronto Blue Jays"... it just doesn't say it on the front of their home jersey... just like the Devil Rays.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• 5 months later...

Ok...the rumors are back...

http://www.syracuse.com/weblogs/baseball/

The name game

Each day for the last four days, the Syracuse SkyChiefs have sent to media members a package and/or note with one clue about an announcement the team is going to make on Monday. The note says I'm invited to a gathering that's going to "change the face of baseball in Syracuse ... forever!''

The SkyChiefs are holding a news conference at 2 p.m. Monday at Alliance Bank Stadium to make the announcement. Here are the "clues'' I received this week:

1. A blue neckerchief (like a train conductor would use).

2. A train whistle.

3. A conductor's hat.

4. A photo from Disney's "Chicken Little'' that says "The Sky Is Falling!''

My guess: The SkyChiefs are dropping the Sky and returning to Chiefs (get it --- the Sky is falling). Of course, the team was called the Chiefs from 1934 to 1996 until it became the SkyChiefs in 1997, when it moved into P&C Stadium (now Alliance Bank Stadium).

As for the train clues, I'm thinking they're going to unveil a new logo that will feature a train.

It was a clever, fun way to lead up to the announcement. I'll be there Monday to see if I'm right.

Matt Michael

mmichael@syracuse.com

Take it for what it's worth...

Archived