Chivas USA changes jerseys in midstream?

totc

Look at the jerseys that Chivas USA wore in the first game of the season against DC United; note that the numbers are black, and there is a number on the lower right front:

8.jpg

But look at what the Goats wore in the first L.A. rivalry game vs. the Galaxy:

8.jpg

No number on the front, and a gold number on the back and shorts.

For purposes of comparison, Chivas of Guadalajara uses blue numbers on the back.

Anyone know if the gold-lettered jersey is just for the Galaxy games? Is it for the purposes of television (i.e., shows up better)? Remember, in 1990, Rusty Wallace went from a metallic gold 27 on his car to a white 27 because it was more visible on TV.

I noticed that watching the game. The gold numbers are actually much less visible than the black numbers, it seemed to me. Not sure why they changed to them.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

the gold numbers look better, as does the lack of number on the front of the jersey.

I watched this game and it was a little embarrassing for Chivas. From a marketing point of view, I don't think chivas will be successful. They have not been drawing good crowds to the Home Depot Center thus far.

There is certainly a huge hispanic soccer audience to cater to in MLS, but if they were going to create a mexican-oriented team, they would have been better off creating a team with a spanish nickname rocking the tri-colores of Mexico, green, white and red instead of alientating every mexican-american soccer fan who is not a fan of chivas from the old country.

the gold numbers look better, as does the lack of number on the front of the jersey.

I watched this game and it was a little embarrassing for Chivas. From a marketing point of view, I don't think chivas will be successful. They have not been drawing good crowds to the Home Depot Center thus far.

There is certainly a huge hispanic soccer audience to cater to in MLS, but if they were going to create a mexican-oriented team, they would have been better off creating a team with a spanish nickname rocking the tri-colores of Mexico, green, white and red instead of alientating every mexican-american soccer fan who is not a fan of chivas from the old country.

And putting them in LA was a mistake.

The galaxy already had an extremly strong Hispanic Fan base. I don't think too many of them are going to forget about the galaxy and start rooting for a team just because it has a spanish name.

Couldn't agree more with the Chivas thing. Its not like Chivas is the national team in Mexico or anything. They are perhaps the best known team, but so are the yankees. You create a yankees team in Japan, you won't have Americans living there flocking to their games or anything.

I'm just glad the MLS is continuing to get better and more respected. We need better competition over here so the US players like demarcus beasley and claudio renya will want to stay in the states and play. But its getting better and better. Think back 5 years ago when you had aging stars from south america playing. Now, you have perhaps the best young player in the world playing in our own backyard with Freddy Adu.

Its about to replace Hockey as the 4th sport in the US in my opinion.

I really don't understand how MLS just lets Chivas pick where they can go. That never made sense to me. As for taking over the #4 spot, the way the NHL keeps their stupidity going, MLS might get that by default.

BTW, word is that Club America, Chivas' rival, wants to put a team in MLS (I believe in San Antonio). Let's hope MLS doesn't stick them in another market that they already have a team in.

Back on topic... (sorry :P ) The gold numbers stand out more on the blue, than the black. Just a guess. BTW, I thought MLS had an exclusive uniform deal with Adidas. If so, why is the Galaxy wearing those brutal Nike yellow Jamaica unis?

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

The exclusive Adidas deal doesn't kick in for a year or two, so some of the clubs (NY, LA, etc.) are grandfathered in.

The Gals have always worn various degrees of ugliness (MLS's equivalent of the White Sox); Year 1, they had the orange, black, and green with the red trim (use your imagination). Then they had the forest green and black, then teal and yellow, now old gold and forest green.

I can tell ya what, the Galaxy can't touch the old Clash for ugliness. honorable mention goes to the "wavy rainbow" jerseys the Wizards wore several years back...now those were fugly.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The teams with existing jersey contracts (LA with Nike, Chicago with Puma, etc) will switch once those contracts run out.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

* All MLS franchises will be in Adidas uniforms by next season.

* Chivas USA switched to the Gold numbers/letters on the uniforms in time for its second game.

* Jorge Vergara was allowed to dictate which market he wanted to place Chivas USA in because MLS was so desperate to land a franchise they felt would legitimize the league in the eyes of many disinterested fans of Mexican descent.

* It remains to be seen how Chivas USA will fare long-term. However, early indications are that the team is in for a rough go of it on the field... and, more ominously, in the stands. Chivas' diehard fans are packing the "cheap seats" in the endzone areas at the HDC, but more expensive seats along the sideline are largely empty.

* Club America had been rumored to be interested in operating a Major League Soccer team in Houston for the better part of a year. The only question was whether it would be an expansion franchise or a potentially relocated team (San Jose or Kansas City if one of those teams can't establish a viable soccer-specific stadium plan in their current market). Given that the league recently announced that San Antonio is on a fast-track for landing a team by as early as 2006, it is reasonable to assume that a Club America-operated team could now be earmarked for that city.

Archived