Uh oh, Rocker's at it again...

WJMorris3

I saw this in yesterday's Atlantic City Press.

ATLANTIC CITY - It was a good thing the children on School Special Day left when they did.

If the children's groups had stuck around until the end of the second game of the Atlantic City Surf and Long Island Ducks doubleheader, the entertainment would have been R-rated.

Ducks relief pitcher and former major leaguer John Rocker, who has a long history of run-ins with fans, had another on Tuesday when he took offense to comments made to him by a Surf fan.

In his third appearance in the Atlantic League, he gave up two runs on two hits and walked two in the fifth inning to take the 2-1 loss.

As Rocker walked into the dugout, Dave Macken, a Surf fan sitting near the visitor's dugout, yelled: "It's a long way from Atlanta."

Not that Rocker needed any reminders, but according to Macken, Rocker said: "I'm still a millionaire and you're a piece of (expletive)."

Macken, an Atlantic City resident, countered with, "You suck."

According to Macken and fans in the area, Rocker's retort was: "Suck this."

Rocker's recalls the incident differently and remembers Macken saying much more.

"Call me what you want, but don't start cussing at me like that," Rocker said. "That's just wrong."

Rocker has gained notoriety over the past several years with his antics.

In a famous interview with Sports Illustrated in 1999, Rocker, while still a member of the Atlanta Braves, made politically incorrect comments about gays, minorities and foreigners, particularly those riding the 7 subway line in New York City.

Macken wanted to make sure Rocker knew the fans still remembered. And so did the Surf by playing Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York" when he was announced at the bottom of the sixth inning. Rocker tipped his cap in recognition.

But other fans like Barry Titton came to Rocker's defense.

"Before the game he was out here signing autographs," said Titton, a Margate resident. "And multiple autographs too. He was very accommodating."

Rocker signed for many of the 21 children's groups in attendance. The Surf was having its first School Special Day of the season, but just about all the children were gone by the time the incident occurred because they had to get back to school.

Rocker, who is designated in the setup role for the Ducks, saved 38 games for the Braves in 1999 and 24 in 2000.

He spent time with the Cleveland Indians, Texas Rangers and Tampa Bay Devil Rays before having surgery in July of 2003 on his left shoulder for a torn rotator cuff.

"When you see someone that high and then see them on this level, it makes for a great story," Macken, 39, said. "There's no place to go after this."

Rocker knows it too. That's why he's giving himself a July 15 deadline to either get back to the major leagues or go home.

"All the doctors and everything told me you'd have a pretty good assessment of how your arm will respond after the surgery after two years," he said. "July 15 will be two years."

His only concern has been his command. He's given up three hits, none hit very hard, but has walked seven batters in two innings with an ERA of 13.50.

"Thank goodness I only have one adjustment to make," said Rocker, who threw in the 84-85 mph range. "I need to get the fastball down."

His role isn't going to change with Long Island, the defending Atlantic League Champions, even after his poor performance.

"He's had some rough times, but he's been off so much," Ducks manager Don McCormack said. "Things aren't going to change here. He still needs to work things out and the only way that is going to work out is by putting him in a game."

The Surf travel to Long Island today for the Ducks' home opener. The game starts at 7:05 p.m. and can be heard on 1490 AM.

LvZYtbZ.png

I saw this in yesterday's Atlantic City Press.

<snip>

In the article I read, it said there were only about 50 fans or so in attendance. Team seems to be doing ok.

Maybe Winnipeg does have an NHL chance again. ^_^

Also, that must have been a very early doubleheader if "just about all the children" had to leave to get back to school before the end of the second game.

Great. While the Ducks are at it, why don't they invite the entire 7 subway and have them throw crap at Rocker.

This is what happens to someone who wasn't all that good anyway. Why doesn't he retire and start selling cars in some redneck neighborhood.

Rocker was, is, and always will be a moron.

Somehow, I think I might have to get tix when the Ducks come to Bridgeport...

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Great. While the Ducks are at it, why don't they invite the entire 7 subway and have them throw crap at Rocker.

This is what happens to someone who wasn't all that good anyway. Why doesn't he retire and start selling cars in some redneck neighborhood.

As a redneck, I must say I'm offended.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

too bad he's not in the Northern League, I'd take a greyhound down to schaumburg for the 'show' :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

This is John Rocker at his other job....

spider-anim.gif

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Gee. We have a lot of Atlantic League observers here. I'd have to go see him when they play the RiverSharks this season, but I'd rather not -- the only two AL games I've been to in Camden have been against the Ducks.

(Heh... Dux0rs)

philly.png

Dunno if anyone's seen a pic of Rockhead in action, but the guy's got a raging mullet going on...

First thing that popped in my head...."Hey Rocker...Joe Dirt called..he wants his hair back!" :lol:

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

I saw a truly unbelievable quote from him in that article.

"I've taken a lot of crap from a lot of people," said Rocker, who racked up 88 saves, more than 330 strikeouts and a 3.42 ERA in six seasons with the Braves, Indians, Rangers and Devil Rays. "Probably more than anybody in the history of this sport. I know Hank [Aaron] and Jackie [Robinson] took a good deal of crap, but I guarantee it wasn't for six years. I just keep thinking: How much am I supposed to take?"

I'm speechless after that.

"I've taken a lot of crap from a lot of people," said Rocker, who racked up 88 saves, more than 330 strikeouts and a 3.42 ERA in six seasons with the Braves, Indians, Rangers and Devil Rays. "Probably more than anybody in the history of this sport. I know Hank [Aaron] and Jackie [Robinson] took a good deal of crap, but I guarantee it wasn't for six years. I just keep thinking: How much am I supposed to take?"

:therock::wacko:

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

Archived