Blue Jays

Cardinals

Twins

Royals

Braves

Mariners

Phillies

Whoah... that's deep.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The White Sox are responsible for kicking off the trend, back in 1971.

al_1971_chicago.gif

And the Cubs' roadies had white pinstripes, not dark blue, from '78 to '81.

nl_1978_chicago.gif

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The White Sox are responsible for kicking off the trend, back in 1971

Correction - the Expos wore powder blue roads from their inception in 1969 (see Gene Mauch's baseball card above). The Expos were the first team I'm personally aware of that adopted them. They certainly got a lot of derisive comments from sportswriters back then, which leads me to believe that they were the novelty.

Nice find. You're right. The Seattle Pilots also wore powder blues in their one and only season of 1969; the Brewers continued the trend when the Pilots moved east the next year.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Correction - the Expos wore powder blue roads from their inception in 1969 (see Gene Mauch's baseball card above). The Expos were the first team I'm personally aware of that adopted them. They certainly got a lot of derisive comments from sportswriters back then, which leads me to believe that they were the novelty.

didn't the pilots wear powder blues in 1969 as well?

**damn you vitamind ;) **

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

**damn you vitamind ;) **

Wow... a brush with greatness - and a 'damn you' to boot!

:notworthy:

2007nleastchamps.png

They may have had the powder blues in 1969 but that card was from 1971-I have some cards from that set, and they're 1971.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Diego Segui of the '69 Pilots.

13288013_b9ceb3771c_o.jpg

You're correct about the vintage of the Mauch card, Stampman, but the 'Spos did wear blues from day one in 1969. I looked for a Rusty Staub pic, but all I could find was B&W.

They may have had the powder blues in 1969 but that card was from 1971-I have some cards from that set, and they're 1971.

Pixelboy's right - the Expos did wear the powder blues from their inception, just like the Pilots. We all deserve partial credit for finally nailing it. ^_^

2007nleastchamps.png

Wasn't disagreeing about '69 for the Expos--just pointing out the card doesn't prove 1969--although the picture on it could very well be from 1969...

Topps/O Pee-Chee (as their Candaian cards were marketed as) used the same picture of Joe Kapp for 3 cards-one with the Stampeders, one with the BC Lions, and a third with the Vikings--and they weren't consecutive years. The picture is actually an air brushed picture of him as a Stampeder.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I think this all brings up an interesting question, why did MLB properties (or whoever) decide that two of the four '69 expansion clubs should eschew the long-time tradition of gray roads? Has anything been written about their thinking at the time?

"Jesus is for Losers" - Steve Taylor

I think this all brings up an interesting question, why did MLB properties (or whoever) decide that two of the four '69 expansion clubs should eschew the long-time tradition of gray roads? Has anything been written about their thinking at the time?

I don't think MLB Propeties existed back then. I think the indivisual teams decided that because they wanted to be different.

Archived