Cubs Road Concept

CB27

I love the Cubs home, but I've never been too big a fan of the current road uni. And although I like the alternate that they usually wear on the road, I think it's way too overused. That said, I came up with this concept. Being the Cubs, I tried to keep the traditional look but not so bland as their current roads.

CUBS ROAD

The thing I like about the current Cubs road is that it is traditional. From 1937-1981, the Cubs had a blue arched Chicago block letter font on the front (and one, I might add, that is nearly identicle to the one they use now - although the current one is more styalized than the traditional font was). The jersey style may have changed a lot over that time (from grey flannel vests to powder blue w/ pinstripes), but they all had the blue "Chicago" the same. They went away from this in the '80's an '90's, and now have gone back to what they wore for the better part of a half century. I will agree that the blue alt is overused, and should be limited to Sundays only, or something like that.

As for a critique of your concept, I prefer what they have. I do, however, like the piping you added, as it takes on the look of the late '30's and early '40's home Cubs jerseys, which I've always liked, but the script seems out of place for the Cubbies. It's a good concept, just not one I like for the Cubs. Sorry.

Moose

it's too bland...hell, change the colors and the Paleys could wear it without a hitch.

I tell ya what, I prefer teh blue jersey as the road-you can tell it's us readily.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I dont know whats wrong with the current Cubs road I think iits fine too they should wear it mor eoften instead of the blue.

I wish MLB would wear whites at home and grays on the road, and not all these T-ball uniforms. Those look great in batting practice, but not during a game...especially when both teams wear colored jerseys.

I love the Cubs home, but I've never been too big a fan of the current road uni. And although I like the alternate that they usually wear on the road, I think it's way too overused. That said, I came up with this concept. Being the Cubs, I tried to keep the traditional look but not so bland as their current roads.

CUBS ROAD

I like your concepts for the Rockies uniforms. It's a lot better than that garbage they wear right now.....

I feel the same as most everyone else that's chimed in on this...I like the present Cubbies road grays (and I agree that they overuse the blue alts....those would work better as a sunday alt or something, IMO)...

Still, it's not a bad idea though....

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

i have always been a fan of the ernie banks era roadies with chicago in a blue arc and a simple red arc beneath it.

Funny, I realy don't identfy those with Banks. They last wore them in '57, and Banks to me was in his hey-day in the '60's... Oh well. I too like that style, and would prefer that includion of red to the red number... That, and I like the look of the zipper-front used in that style. Is there a reason no-one uses zippers now-a-days? Safety?

Moose

I think that they should go with some nice Cubbie-Blue pinstripes along the gray jerseys, kinda like the twins have..... Maybe use the alt-logo on the chest....I don't know how it'd look, but there's a chance it could be kinda cool....

CB27, I really like your concept and would like to see them use red with the blue wordmark instead of only white. I like that wordmark, incorporating the traditional Cubs C with CHICAGO instead of Cubs. I would either remove the blue piping in the middle, or the red on the sleeves for consistency, but I'm no expert.

The Cubs' current roads have bothered me for years (I'm sure plenty of my posts here have said so), but let it be known that 2005 is the year I'm finally warming to these. I'm not sure why. I prefer when they wear blue on the road, but maybe they do it so much (and at home -- yuck) that now the gray is refreshing. I was one of the few who liked the "Cuba" script and the blue on red on white lettering with red on blue on white numbers, and for some reason I just thought these were too plain when switched in 1997.

However, I recognize now that their grays seem unique, with the blue lettering and red numbers. I always thought they should go all blue, but that says Dodgers to me more than their red number on the front for some reason (probably the difference in front font).

Not sure if any of that makes sense, but short of a return to the '80s blue (never happen, just my personal fave -- BTW I noticed a new M&N NL All-Star uni from 1982, and it's the same as the Cubs road introduced sometime in 1982 -- the light blue with white pinstripes was also used -- don't know the history, any chance the Cubs just took that NL uni midseason?) I'd like the Cubs to go back to this 1990 road:

nl_1990_chicago.gif

I'd love to get my hands on one of those, but they only wore them the one year (letters were probably too small for TV).

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded reply, but this is just something I've really been looking at the past few days on "Dressed to the Nines" and I'm surprising myself with my new appreciation for the current Cubs road... and my temptation to buy an Alou version at a cut-rate price near Wrigley. Carry on.

I don't know if anyone else agrees with me but i personally was a fan of the cubs roads in the mid 90's that had "cubs" in script on them. I also love how markar14 is talking smack on the cards despite the fact that they are the only team in the central with a winning record and just happen to be 6.5 games ahead of the cubs in the standings.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

Oh yes! The Cuba national team uniforms. Those were pretty bad.

As for the concept, not bad, but at the same time not really an upgrade to what the Cubbies currently have.

6uXNWAo.png

I guess I'd have to reiterate my initial post - The Cubs' current look is traditional as is, without screwing it up too much. All you have to do is look to 1937, the debut of the first truly "modern" Cub uniform:

nl_1937_chicago.gif

It's not much different from what they have today. Sure, subtle changes have been made over the years, the removal of the piping in 1943, the addition of pinstripes to the home in 1957, the removal of the red underline on the road, also in 1957, and addition of the number to the front in 1969. These changes (in addition to those made, and later retracted in the '80's and '90's), have all added up to the current uniform being included on most top-10 all-sport best uniform lists that come out.

When you have a basic identity that hasn't changed much since it's inception in 1909 (the C-ubs logo - oh my god, they circled it!), and a look that has stood-up for the better part of 2/3 a century, why is everyone so eager to change?

Moose

When you have a basic identity that hasn't changed much since it's inception in 1909 (the C-ubs logo - oh my god, they circled it!), and a look that has stood-up for the better part of 2/3 a century, why is everyone so eager to change?

Oh, let's see ... a particular accomplishment that's escaped them for 97 YEARS?

Packers-2.png

Oh, let's see ... a particular accomplishment that's escaped them for 97 YEARS?

You're absoultly right, the "C-ubs" logo is what's wrong with the franchise, not injuries, or poor management. Let's have them ditch the current uni's, go back to the 1908 look (heck that's the last time they won anything):

nl_1908_chicago.gif

complete with flannel, collar, and make the team use a dead ball. dope. :rolleyes:

Moose

Archived