Stadiums That Lose their Naming Deals

BBTV

Watching the Philthies play the Marlins tonight at "Dolphins" stadium and I was thinking - if they don't have to be called Pro Player Park anymore, why switch to Dolphins Stadium when they could have gone back to Joe Robbie Stadium?

I wondered the same thing about Candlestick Park. When it wasn't 3com Park anymore, before they went to Monster Park, why wasn't it Candlestick Park again?

I can't think of any other examples, but I'm sure there are some.

Thoughts?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think a lot of times it's because they want to get a new naming rights deal. If they go back to the old name there probably is a fear from possible sponsors that people will not call it by it's new name since the old name was used again. People aren't used to Dolphins Stadium so if they get a deal people won't have a problem with calling it by it's new name. If they went back to Joe Robbie people are fimilar with it and it might stick. With that fear the Fins would get less money in a deal.

That's my theory.

I believe that Monster Park is just a four year naming opportunity because the city is upset of how it was handled without their knowledge. It the stadium is still standing after 2008, it will revert to Candlestick.

http://www.answers.com/topic/monster-park

Originally, in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, the stadium was named Dolphins Stadium by Joe robbie before he died, In fact, there were roadsigns saying "Dolphins Stadium" made, but never posted. Following Robbie's death, the facility was renamed. See Feb. 3, 1987 on this time line.

http://www.proplayerstadium.com/stadium_tline.html

here in nashvegas the original name was Adephia coliseum so now it has no name. They won't name it anything generic like Nashville or Tennessee coliseum but there ain't nobody beatin' down the dorr to plaster their company's name on it.

RobbyBox2.jpg

I think a lot of times it's because they want to get a new naming rights deal. If they go back to the old name there probably is a fear from possible sponsors that people will not call it by it's new name since the old name was used again. People aren't used to Dolphins Stadium so if they get a deal people won't have a problem with calling it by it's new name. If they went back to Joe Robbie people are fimilar with it and it might stick. With that fear the Fins would get less money in a deal.

That's my theory.

That actually makes a lot of sense. You sure you're from Jersey?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

here in nashvegas the original name was Adephia coliseum so now it has no name. They won't name it anything generic like Nashville or Tennessee coliseum but there ain't nobody beatin' down the dorr to plaster their company's name on it.

How long was it called the Adelphia Coliseum?

It's absolutely true - these facilities don't get their original names back precisely because they don't want a percentage of fans reverting, permanently, back to the old name.

It's particularly hard in cases like the one here in Raleigh, where for the first few years our arena was officially the "Entertainment and Sports Arena", or "ESA". They now have a corporate naming rights deal in place, but 75% of the people I talk with still refer to it as the "ESA". Had the sponsor bought in before the place opened, it'd be forever linked. Instead, its transient in a sense.

In Miami's case, continuing to use Pro Player was a mistake, but going back to Joe Robbie Stadium would've been an even bigger one from a long-term perspective. As it is they can't find anyone willing to pony up the dough for a naming rights deal, as JRS and Pro Player are now both imbedded in the minds of the fans.

nav-logo.png

here in nashvegas the original name was Adephia coliseum so now it has no name.  They won't name it anything generic like Nashville or Tennessee coliseum but there ain't nobody beatin' down the dorr to plaster their company's name on it.

How long was it called the Adelphia Coliseum?

The Adelphia opened in '99, and it has been nameless for two seasons now, I beleive. coincendently the naming agreement with Gaylord Entertainment has been broken so very soon the original Nashville Arena will lose it's name as well. But the hopefully soon to be constrcuted minor league baseball park has already secured a name sponsor- First Tennesse bank.

RobbyBox2.jpg

after a little reading the Titans and Adelphia Communications agreed to have the name removed on June 4th 2002. I could have cared less about whatever Adelphia Business Communications is/was but their name had that greco/roman influence that tied in well with the new team name. the Titans.

RobbyBox2.jpg

Simple reason as to why Adelphia removed themselves from sponsoring the Coliseum in Nashville...It probably had to do with the founders of the cable company (the Rigas family) being perp walked by the Feds for using Adelphia as their own personal ATM machine. (Little sidenote...these clowns also owned the Buffalo Sabres and were a big reason why the team nearly went under...seems that they used the Sabes as an ATM as well....thankfully, Tommy Golisano saved the day and has that team back on some semblance of a good footing)....

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

That's my theory.

Well, I'm from North Jersey.

That's my theory.

Well, I'm from North Jersey.

<rim tap>

"We have nothing to fear except fear itself."

I'm hoping that if United goes bankrupt, the arena in Chicago will be renamed "White Castle"...

FREE SLIDERS IF THE BULLS SCORE MORE THAN 120 POINTS PER GAME!!!!

And all the kids can call in sick from school the next day :puke:

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

Archived