New Orleans Saints Jersey Suggestions

tulanebc

Ok, so we all are in agreement that the Saints need new uniforms.......and those stupid gold numbers look just....cheesy.....anyways, I have always favored the look from the late 70's-mid 80's (which if you play any Madden game, they totally screwed up the Saints 80's unis.....they didn't wear gold numbers until 1996....and before that, they only wore them from 1967-1969)...and would love to see them go back to that...along with some striping as well.....but WITHOUT adding any colors at all....anyways.....here is a pic of the unis I call my faves....any suggestions on how they should change?

NewOrleans76.gif

(and my all time faves.....besides the New Orleans Breakers set in 1984.....)

SanDiego79.gif

willieMcGee_2.jpg

If you inherit Randy Johnson's facial genes, he owes you $97,000 at the very least.

If the Saints would just get all of the gold colors (numbers, helmets, pants) to be one gold color, their uniforms would be perfect. Black pants are just out of place with a gold helmet and so are white pants. And I like the gold numbers. No new uniforms needed, just standardize all of the different gold colors.

I think the stripes today wouldn't look good with today's on-field jerseys... with the replicas, yes, but game jerseys, no.

Maybe it's something as simple as going back to white numbers with gold trim from that era, or the Dalton Hilliard era? And the gold collar, too.

And bring back Guido Merkins, John Fourcade, Hokie Gaijan, Bobby Hebert...

I think the stripes today wouldn't look good with today's on-field jerseys... with the replicas, yes, but game jerseys, no.

Maybe it's something as simple as going back to white numbers with gold trim from that era, or the Dalton Hilliard era? And the gold collar, too.

Yeah, if you want stripes put them on the shulder a-la the Colts or use a template like the Panthers.

Also, I think black pants can work with a gold helmet, but not white.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I am sure when they move to LA they will change the uniforms (tongue planted firmly in cheek).

I like the black pants and numbers on the road uniform. However, I like the gold pants at home.

My favorite saints unis:

BHebertNo2_185x250.jpg

HbrennerNo_182x250.JPG

JHillinbergNo_186x250.JPG

JEverettNo_187x250.JPG

... I love the gold "chargers"-style outline.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

I don't like the black/gold outline. Just the gold works better for me - less busy.

I do think the Saints have beautiful uniforms, so long as they stay away from the black mime pants.

Also agree that they should pick one gold and stick with it - I'd prefer the coppery gold they used to wear - it would set them apart from all the teams that wear Vegas gold:

0814_large.jpg

I don't like the black/gold outline.  Just the gold works better for me - less busy.

I do think the Saints have beautiful uniforms, so long as they stay away from the black mime pants. 

Also agree that they should pick one gold and stick with it - I'd prefer the coppery gold they used to wear - it would set them apart from all the teams that wear Vegas gold:

0814_large.jpg

I think they should seriously consider using those jerseys and pants fulltime again. (Only with a simpler number font.) The helmet they have now is perfect, IMO, the nicest helmet in the entire NFL.

Am I the only person who LOVES their current Gold alternate?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Have a gold helmet? You need gold pants. Home and away. Same with silver. Heck, any color. Those two should always match. Well, the Steelers are an exception. And, except for a color helmet with a color jersey (Texans, Bears). Then white pants are fine. No need for the Seahawks look.

I can name only one team that wears gold helmets but should never wear gold pants (though they do at times anyway), the TB Storm. I find it strange that I feel that way, but I do-they look better in white pants than they do in gold pants IMO. every other gold-helmet team should have gold pants, they can't rock white pants like teh Storm can :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Clemente, Gothamite, for your consideration:

From Against All Odds' contest last year:

Finally! Just under the wire. My New Orleans Saints concept.

A little explanation before the pic:

--First, the overall look. Over the years, like in Brywhit's design, I've thought about adding a tertiary color. Green always came to mind, sort of like the Dallas Stars. But instead, I decided to go for a return to old school. Like the New york teams, going back to basics, in this case essentially the initial year (1967).

--Other than the logo (more on that later) small uni differences -- the striping on the sleeves and socks is two less stripes than 1967 (the original white jersey was black-gold-black-gold-black; mine reduces the stripe sequence by two out of deference to today's shorter sleeves).

--Another minor uni difference is the contrasting collar on both the black and white jersey; that was not there in the original.

--Unlike today's Saints, the gold in these uniforms are to be CONSISTENT throughout the uniform (helmets, pants, numerals and striping); a "brass" gold a shade darker than the pale "vegas gold" in vogue today, but not quite as "copperish" as the original unis back in '67....

--The idea to have one set of pants is also old school, plus I propose more of a shift toward white and gold (a little more "saintly" look). White at home and on the road unless called for by the home team. Sort of like my alma maters LSU and Georgia Tech, as well as the Cowboys and Joe Gibbs' Redskins.

--The biggest change is the logo -- the essence is the same, but like the recent Seahawks and Falcons, and a little earlier, the Dolphins, 49ers and Eagles, it's "tweaked" . First off, I went to a predominate white to match the new color emphasis. I also went with a segmented fleur-de-lis, which is also a common presentation of that emblem. I debated whether or not the outlines should touch or not; I decided I liked 'em that way. The center 'stalk" also now looks more angular, almost sword-like. I also debated taking off the helmet stripe, but decided to keep it since I put back the matching pants stripe.

Enough with the talk, here's the concept. Sorry if it's a little big:

newSAINTS.png

It is what it is.

I don't like the black/gold outline.  Just the gold works better for me - less busy.

0814_large.jpg

You hit the nail on the head...they never should have moved away from that shade of gold, which looks terrific with black and with white.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Don't forget Rich Mauti, Jim Kovach, Joe Federspiel, and Tommy Myers. What the heck, throw in Dave Whitsell, Edd Hargett, and Obert Logan while you're at it. ^_^

Don't know if anyone remembers going to old Tulane Stadium, but a couple of weeks ago there was one of those 'backpack' style Dixie beer dispensers on eBay. Boy, did THAT bring back memories. Not of drinking though, I was only 8 years old. B)

A couple of years ago on eBay, I bought one of those popcorn containers they use to have at Tulane Stadium, the ones where you could tear out the bottom when the popcorn was gone and use it as a megaphone. Ah, the good old days...

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

i don't think the Saints need to change uniforms as desperately as you think. i like what they were pretty well, but the concept you have here isn't bad at all.

That's not a concept up there....that's EXACTLY what they wore from 1975-1985...give or take the socks becoming solic black and the Chargers-style number change.....my only problem is that when they wore those, they loked clean and crisp.....they really don't use white as much as they used to.....when you went to Aints games in the late 90's, they had Vegas Gold numbers on the road jerseys...and the font for the numbers was totally different and something unique to either Puma or Reebok (wish they would have their own unique number font...oh well), but EVERYONE complained that the numbers were unreadable.....what I think they should do is go with a white pant-black pant combo....you know, white for home, black for road....and bring back the white numbers....even though gold dominates the helmet, doesn't really mean that it should really dominate the whole uniform. See how Tampa's pewter goes real well with white pants and the darker jersey? I know pewter is darker and all, but still, it's a metallic neutral tone.........and IF they went back to the REAL "Old Gold" from the early days, they would have something unique about the uniforms....not just the logo.....but they GOTTA change the number font....something unique and distinct to the team......c&c???

willieMcGee_2.jpg

If you inherit Randy Johnson's facial genes, he owes you $97,000 at the very least.

Don't forget Rich Mauti, Jim Kovach, Joe Federspiel, and Tommy Myers. What the heck, throw in Dave Whitsell, Edd Hargett, and Obert Logan while you're at it. ^_^

Don't know if anyone remembers going to old Tulane Stadium, but a couple of weeks ago there was one of those 'backpack' style Dixie beer dispensers on eBay. Boy, did THAT bring back memories. Not of drinking though, I was only 8 years old. B)

A couple of years ago on eBay, I bought one of those popcorn containers they use to have at Tulane Stadium, the ones where you could tear out the bottom when the popcorn was gone and use it as a megaphone. Ah, the good old days...

aluminum seats......50 cent beer....Joe Wendryhoski....Joe Scarpati....Jubilee Dunbar....Ernie Wheelwright....Joe Don Looney.....Bobby Dodd....Bobby Scott....Bobby Douglass.....Reuben Mayes.....Johnnie Poe.....Russell Gary.....and the Coach of the Saints.....John North!!!!!!!

(Al Hirt performing at halftime.....don't forget the ostrich races......)

willieMcGee_2.jpg

Archived