Basball & Softball dropped from the Olympics

Braden

If golf is a sport, how come a 15 year old girl can compete with fully grown men and not get slaughtered?

I actually do consider golf (and car racing) to be sports, but think about that for a minute.

As for the topic, who cares? Olympic baseball is boring as plop. Espescially with the new baseball World Cup or whatever it's called, Olympic baseball was becoming less and less relevant. Talk to futbol fans about Olympic soccer and see how they compare it with the World Cup. They know that nobody cares about international amateur competition when every 4 years the best professionals in their sport compete. This isn't some blow against Americans or some attempt to pacify Russians, it's taking out a sport that isn't THAT popular and looks to become even less popular with the new World Cup (Olympic baseball, not baseball as a whole).

I guess it sucks for softball, because as a softball player that was the highest level you could achieve.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Golf is a game. It's played on a large field just like football and baseball, so that's why it gets mixed in with the major sports. However, i would compare it more to games like paintball or freeze-tag. Personally, i'd rather watch a chess match or paint dry than sit through a round of golf.

6uXNWAo.png

good point in a local newspaper in Melbourne.....if baseball gets the shown the door cos it doesnt send its best players then why dont the get rid of soccer? of course, the IOC wont get rid of the biggest sport in the world (arguably)

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Those of you who say golf isn't a sport obviously haven't played it. It's one of the hardest sports to be consistentley good at, and the pros are paid soley on their performance. Adding golf is one of the smartest things the IOC could do. Its the only sport(that I can think of) thats popular in every corner of the globe, the best players come from many different countries, and the PGA has huge TV ratings in North America. Tiger Woods has even indicated interest in participating in an Olympic golf tourney. I'd also like to see them add rugby.

Personally, I'd like to see rodeo added, it's the toughest damn sport there is, and there would be enough different countries represented.

Taking baseball and softball out is the stupidest thing they've done in a while, especially when the IOC is trying to increase TV ratings. The American pastime is out, but they still have the great spectator sports of synchronized diving, weight lifting and modern decathalon. Baseball was one of their best sports, but it was taken out because it's only played in North and Latin America, and Asia. The desicision was made by a bunch of European IOC bureaucrats who don't get baseball and they didn't consult with people involed with the sports.

Bottom line, the summer olympics are a joke. The IOC needs someone to go in there and clean house, cut through all corruption and scandal, and get rid of all these stupid sports they have.

Based on past decision making at the IOC, I bet they'll add karate. :cursing:

Those of you who say golf isn't a sport obviously haven't played it. It's one of the hardest sports to be consistentley good at, and the pros are paid soley on their performance. Adding golf is one of the smartest things the IOC could do. Its the only sport(that I can think of) thats popular in every corner of the globe, the best players come from many different countries, and the PGA has huge TV ratings in North America. Tiger Woods has even indicated interest in participating in an Olympic golf tourney. I'd also like to see them add rugby.

Personally, I'd like to see rodeo added, it's the toughest damn sport there is, and there would be enough different countries represented.

Taking baseball and softball out is the stupidest thing they've done in a while, especially when the IOC is trying to increase TV ratings. The American pastime is out, but they still have the great spectator sports of synchronized diving, weight lifting and modern decathalon. Baseball was one of their best sports, but it was taken out because it's only played in North and Latin America, and Asia. The desicision was made by a bunch of European IOC bureaucrats who don't get baseball and they didn't consult with people involed with the sports.

Bottom line, the summer olympics are a joke. The IOC needs someone to go in there and clean house, cut through all corruption and scandal, and get rid of all these stupid sports they have.

Based on past decision making at the IOC, I bet they'll add karate. :cursing:

How is golf in the olympics any different/better than the Masters, British Open, Ryder/President's Cup, etc? Those tournaments involve the best players in the world and they happen every year, not every 4.

Based on past decision making at the IOC, I bet they'll add karate.  :cursing:

How is golf in the olympics any different/better than the Masters, British Open, Ryder/President's Cup, etc? Those tournaments involve the best players in the world and they happen every year, not every 4.

It wouldn't really, except there would be more emphasis on the nations each player is from. It would be like adding a fifth major every four years, instead of the regular PGA stop. The Olympics would have a tournament with the best field and an established fan base. (Assuming the top pros show up).

No sports are being added.......but who would have voted to keep greco-roman wrestling, synchronised swimming, pentathlon and Table Tennis in the Olympics

The Hungarians, the Russians, and the Chineese :)

I saw, I came, I left.

Well Every 4 years makes it specaisl and you will be playing for your country.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Well Every 4 years makes it specaisl and you will be playing for your country.

YEah, 4 years makes it hella special. Ooo, playing for your country, that's way different then playing in the Master's right?

And baseball a sport and not rythmic gymnastics? Sorry to baseball fans, but gymnastics takes way more training, flexibility, consistency and stamina then baseball does. In baseball, the guys don't even try to throw it to the bases when its a base hit, or they fumble the ball and they put a look on thier face saying "it wasn't me".

And sncyronized swimming, I'd pay to see you try that Tank, try to match flips and pikes done by the divers.

I like baseball and all, but calling gymnastics and syncronized swimming not sports, just doesn't make sense to me.

Archived