Basball & Softball dropped from the Olympics

Braden

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

last year's Olympics got me into Baseball, before that i had little knowledge how to play it (except i knew you hit the ball and run to the next base and the strikes)

maybe they should have allowed MLBers in the Olympics

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

last year's Olympics got me into Baseball, before that i had little knowledge how to play it (except i knew you hit the ball and run to the next base and the strikes)

It's MLB who doesn't allow the players. The Olympics tend to take place in August sometimes even in Spetember, that is right in the middle of the playoff races. And unlike hockey baseball is an outdoor sport they can't take a 2 week break because that would push it well into November (even more than 2001). You get a northern team in the World Series and you might be playing baseball in the snow, and it is sure to be really cold.

It's MLB who doesn't allow the players. The Olympics tend to take place in August sometimes even in Spetember, that is right in the middle of the playoff races. And unlike hockey baseball is an outdoor sport they can't take a 2 week break because that would push it well into November (even more than 2001). You get a northern team in the World Series and you might be playing baseball in the snow, and it is sure to be really cold.

i was going to say curse the MLB but then they built or run (one of the 2) a Training place on the Gold Coast i think in conjuction with the Australian Institute of Sport

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Exactly, Swiss, Exactly...

Seriously, that is too bad, especially for softball. It always seemed like playing in the Olympics was like playing MLB for a softball player. Hopefully this will be even more motivation for a World Cup in March.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

It seems as if the IOC dont get it without our money the Olympics could not be successful especially that sweathart deal from NBC.

The U.S. dollars drive the olympics, true, but how much baseball was on the main network? Answer: none, at least none that I recall.

Sadly, the olympic games are about money nowadays - first and foremost. They're looking for sports that (1) draw the crowd, (2) they can sell to sponsors, ehr, excuse me, "Exclusive whatchamacallit's of the Olympic Games", and (3) get the ratings.

nav-logo.png

This was a mistake!

I wonder if softball was dropped solely because it's so similar to baseball and that was gonns be dropped for sure. I guess they couldn't see keeping the girls around if the boys had to go home home.

This really sucks cause I was hoping to work my way into the Olympics as a softball umpire someday. Guss I'll have to shoot for the Majorsnow. :D

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

But my question is why isnt rugby in the olympics yet? The second most popular sport in the world isnt even in the olympics 

ive wondered about that as well. i'd definatley watch rugby over half of the other events

It seems as if the IOC dont get it without our money the Olympics could not be successful especially that sweathart deal from NBC.

The U.S. dollars drive the olympics, true, but how much baseball was on the main network? Answer: none, at least none that I recall.

Sadly, the olympic games are about money nowadays - first and foremost. They're looking for sports that (1) draw the crowd, (2) they can sell to sponsors, ehr, excuse me, "Exclusive whatchamacallit's of the Olympic Games", and (3) get the ratings.

True the baseball was mostly on cable. But out of the possible replacement is any one going to bring an a bigger audience and thus more sponsors. The only one I can think of is golf. But that only depends on if the Tiger Woods and those type players show up. Assuming the Olympics takes place a week or 2 after the British Open I don't know about that. I don't see Rugby bringing in more American sponsor money however it would bring in more International. The other sports I don't see at all.

Also to the American Sports fan this is sort of de-legitimizing the Olympics as a sporting event. The is an event that has synchronized swimming but not baseball. Today, there are plenty more sporting otions to watch. On top of that the Olympics are no longer a political thing. That has driven down ratings already, taking away baseball gives the sports fan another reason to not watch. And Ratings will go down. It's more of a psychological effect than the actual loss of viewers, which wasn't that many.

Archived