Basball & Softball dropped from the Olympics

Braden

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll bet if the US baseball team made the 2004 Athens Olympics, then baseball would have stayed.

Baseball suffered from not having the best players and also not enough of the "competitive" nations because of how qualification works. By not having baseball and softball, the particular city orgainsing committee doesn't have to construct a stadium or two, thus reducing costs (construction and maintenance). With Olympic budgets ballooning every day, that only be good news for the orgainsing committee.

Speaking of no skill........ nah, I better stop there ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

How does baseball go and Rythmic GYmnastics and Synchronized Swimmming stay?

I think tank just proved my point. He's the average Joe sports fan. He can't believe that synchronized swimming is an olympic event but not baseball. He may or may not watch more olympic coverage because of that even though he may or may not have watched the baseball to begin with.

I agree if the US qualified it would have helped. I think that was a joke, if I recall that was the only game the US lost and they lost it 1-0. They should have been there. On top of that I heard the IOC eliminated rugby as a potential replacement, that means they won't be able to replace it with something of a more international appeal. The only thing that could be a replacement is Golf. And that is only if the big names participate. If not the Olympics would be better off with baseball/softball.

I wonder if NEw York would have had a better bid and won would baseball still be apart of the games for 2012. After all the number 1 sport in New York is Baseball. Plus you would have the stadiums in place. I think the plan was to have it in what would be Old Yankee Stadium (the current). A historic 50,000+ seat stadium. Just a thought.

Golf would be a sweet olympic sport. There are courses everywhere in the world, really good ones in london. Maybe even skip the pros we see so often and let the college amatuers battle for a medal. That sounded bad. Plus you could do both a team event and individual play. We don't get to see team golf very often so I think that would exciting. I would also like to see rugby because I think that not a lot of people in the states including myself understand the sport and would like to get a taste of it.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

I'd like to see some sevens, just to see if I could actually grasp more of what's going on than when FSN used to show it. Basically, I know there's only backward passing, you gotta touch the ball down for a try, and that periodically they have scrums for various reasons. That's it-the rest is ambiguous as hell to me.

as an olympic sport, I'd love to see some football, but it's just a pipe dream. :cry: Aussie rules would be more viable, especially in a format like rugby sevens. Hell, a couple formats exist for 9-man footy (mainly in local leagues run by the big clubs, used as sort of a feeder system for the main club), so it could definitely work. now if we could get teh AFL to get off their asses :rolleyes:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

As of right now, baseball and softball are out for the 2012 Olympic Sumer Games. However, under the new guidelines being utilized by the IOC, sports are constantly going to be under review from one Olympiad to the next. As a result, baseball and softball's governing federations can both petition to be returned to the games in time for the 2016 Olympic Summer Olympics. Whether baseball and softball can successfully garner enough support amongst IOC members between now and 2009 (the next year in which decisions will once again be made to determine what sports will potentially be jettisoned and what sports potentially added) is anyone's guess.

Bottom line? If the baseball federation can figure out a way to get the world's best players to participate in the Olympics and the softball federation can figure out a way to dramatically increase the competitiveness of teams other than the United States... well, that may just go a long way towards convincing the members of the IOC to welcome the two sports back into the fold.

Then, we can start debating which two sports would be given the heave-ho in order to make room for he return of the bat-and-ball games.

It appears no sports achieved the required support to join the "Olympic family" so no bankable gold medal for Fiji in 2012. :(

London organisers are rubbing their hands together at the reduced operating costs of one less venue. It's a real pity because there are countless good venues in London (especially by 2012) that could have hosted rugby 7s (let alone the rugby stadium at Twickenham). As it is they could host the entire Olympic soccer tournament in London if they really wanted to, but they aren't.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_spor...012/4658925.stm

liverpool-1.png

Golf? Shouldn't the Olympics stick to real sports? What's next, Billards? Poker?

I'm not suprised about getting rid of baseball. Who cares about international baseball anyway? I didn't even know it was an olympic sport until recently. With the MLB's horrible ideas to "internationalize the game", there really isn't a point to it anyway. And softball? How'd that get in there? It's bad enough colleges and high schools take it seriously.

I guess Rugby would be alright, though I never knew it was really that big outside of the Pacific areas and England. I'd personally love to see Roller Hockey get added, though I know it's a long shot.

guess Rugby would be alright, though I never knew it was really that big outside of the Pacific areas and England. I'd personally love to see Roller Hockey get added, though I know it's a long shot.

rugby is one of the biggest sports in the world

Golf? Shouldn't the Olympics stick to real sports? What's next, Billards? Poker?

I'm not suprised about getting rid of baseball. Who cares about international baseball anyway? I didn't even know it was an olympic sport until recently. With the MLB's horrible ideas to "internationalize the game", there really isn't a point to it anyway. And softball? How'd that get in there? It's bad enough colleges and high schools take it seriously.

I guess Rugby would be alright, though I never knew it was really that big outside of the Pacific areas and England. I'd personally love to see Roller Hockey get added, though I know it's a long shot.

Wait a minute your complaining about sports that no one cares about being part of the olympics and you want Roller Hockey in it?

Golf is too a sport, although I don't know if the big names would go to the olympics. As for Softball I'm sure women and girls care about it.

I don't think they should ever eliminate any sports. If they want to add more sports, fine. The more the better.

Keep baseball and softball, and add rugby and golf. While they're at it, toss in Aussie Rules, too.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

If curling is in the winter games, I don't see why bowling isn't also a part of the games. So if you're gonna put a bunch of beer-swilling, chain smoking bowlers into the olympics, you might as well throw in poker. It is after all, a worldwide game. In this year's World Series of Poker, there are players representing over 50 countries.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived