Which Minor Hockey League do you root for?

Gary

Which Minor Hockey League do you root for?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I put ECHL because when I was living at home in Vegas I went to a few Wranglers games.....which is odd because since Ive been in Hartford I havent been to a Wolf Pack game. Maybe if we got the ABA...no way!

Gotta go with Discrim on this one. The IHL beats all. Crying shame it fell apart like it did. So in its absence, I'm all about the AHL. And now Peoria's back in it... How about Fort Wayne and K-zoo next year?

Got to see the Turner Cup up close and personal during one of the Wolves' finals runs. That baby makes the Calder Cup look like a Miss Congeniality trophy.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'd say the CHL based on my proximity to the New Mexico Scorpions and their bevy of former University of North Dakota players (my alma mater).

But my interest in them is luke warm. The team didn't draw that well and there's a number of franchises that don't seem to be on strong financial footing.

It also hurts some that the Scorpions are taking a year off to wait for a new arena under construction in nearby Rio Rancho.

With no Thrashers this year, I went to my first ECHL game since the Gwinnett Gladiators moved here in 2003. I follow the Gladiators and Chicago Wolves online since both are Atlanta affiliates.

Obviously the skill level isn't as high, but it's good to see some players that are trying to make it to the big leagues and not getting paid millions.

BTW Geoff, my first game was against the Ice Pilots. It was a PEN 4-3 SO win.

GO GLADIATORS!

The only reason the Turner Cup looks so nice now is because the cup fell apart after the Wolves won it again in 2000. Players had to put screws in it to hold it together. Then they debuted the refurbished one in late 2000 with a darker wood tone and gold accents. I found a picture I took of it when they first put it on display at Allstate Arena by the Wolves customer service booth. I don't have a working scanner right now otherwise I would post the pic. Last time I saw the Turner Cup was when they retired Wendell Young's #1 in 2001-2002 season. They also had the Stanley Cup, the Calder Cup, and the Memorial Cup. Young is the only player that has won all four major North American Titles. :hockeysmiley:

I miss teams like the Solar Bears, Komets, and Vipers.

bleedsvg2014_03_03_12_53_210b.png

Edge2baWolves2d.jpg

Gotta go with Discrim on this one. The IHL beats all. Crying shame it fell apart like it did. So in its absence, I'm all about the AHL. And now Peoria's back in it... How about Fort Wayne and K-zoo next year?

Not bloody likely....

Both ownership groups in the Fort and in K-Zoo are quite happy with their arrangements in the UHL. The big sticking point is that they had some rather contentious relationships with pro affiliates in the past and I guess they don't wanna revisit those headaches....also, the cost overhead of running a UHL team is significantly lower than one for an AHL team.

Fort Wayne WOULD make a lot of sense moving up to the A...they continually get about 7,500 a night average for a AA team. Makes me think the K's would probably do the same on the next level...

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Gotta go with Discrim on this one.  The IHL beats all.  Crying shame it fell apart like it did.  So in its absence, I'm all about the AHL.  And now Peoria's back in it... How about Fort Wayne and K-zoo next year?

Not bloody likely....

Both ownership groups in the Fort and in K-Zoo are quite happy with their arrangements in the UHL. The big sticking point is that they had some rather contentious relationships with pro affiliates in the past and I guess they don't wanna revisit those headaches....also, the cost overhead of running a UHL team is significantly lower than one for an AHL team.

Fort Wayne WOULD make a lot of sense moving up to the A...they continually get about 7,500 a night average for a AA team. Makes me think the K's would probably do the same on the next level...

Unless they get an old franchise, a moved team, or a new franchise with an affiliation, that ain't happening. They could become the AHL affiliate for Edmonton, Colorado, or Florida. Florida seems to have their eyes set on the Utah fanchise and moving it to Orlando. Colorado might have the Colorado Eagles (CHL) move up to the AHL and be an in-state affiliate. Cinci is coming back in 06-07 and will likely hook up with Columbus as their deal with Syracuse runs out. If the CHL Eagles move up to the AHL, that leave Syracuse as a possible hook up for Edmonton, they could even move the Crunch. The Crunch could even fold, because IIRC the Oilers still own the Road Runners franchise.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Gotta go with Discrim on this one.  The IHL beats all.  Crying shame it fell apart like it did.  So in its absence, I'm all about the AHL.  And now Peoria's back in it... How about Fort Wayne and K-zoo next year?

Not bloody likely....

Unless they get an old franchise, a moved team, or a new franchise with an affiliation, that ain't happening. They could become the AHL affiliate for Edmonton, Colorado, or Florida. Florida seems to have their eyes set on the Utah fanchise and moving it to Orlando. Colorado might have the Colorado Eagles (CHL) move up to the AHL and be an in-state affiliate. Cinci is coming back in 06-07 and will likely hook up with Columbus as their deal with Syracuse runs out. If the CHL Eagles move up to the AHL, that leave Syracuse as a possible hook up for Edmonton, they could even move the Crunch. The Crunch could even fold, because IIRC the Oilers still own the Road Runners franchise.

Actually, the scuttlebutt I've heard is that Columbus is eyeing moving their affiliation to Cincinnatti after this year when their one with Syracuse runs out....makes perfect sense too...it's pretty close and The 'Natti's already got a franchise in town (the old Ducks one...the only reason why it's not playing is b/c of the AHL bylaw that states a team needs to have an affiliation with an NHL club to be a playing member).

As for the 'Cuse...who knows who'd they hook up with in the future....

Colorado looks to be a long term tenant in Lowell right now (to be brutally honest, there's not much in the way of draftees that the Avs have that could be used to furnish a full AHL club...was one of the main sticking points with Hershey that saw that relationship come to an end)....

Spot on with Florida...I've heard the same talk for a while now in regards to that.

Edmonton was the surprise one...the Runners drew well at Rexall last season, but I guess the Oilers brass wanted to have a WHL team in town instead....right now, the Oil are sending their youngins to Hamilton, just like the old days.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Actually, the scuttlebutt I've heard is that Columbus is eyeing moving their affiliation to Cincinnatti after this year when their one with Syracuse runs out....makes perfect sense too...it's pretty close and The 'Natti's already got a franchise in town (the old Ducks one...the only reason why it's not playing is b/c of the AHL bylaw that states a team needs to have an affiliation with an NHL club to be a playing member).

As for the 'Cuse...who knows who'd they hook up with in the future....

Colorado looks to be a long term tenant in Lowell right now (to be brutally honest, there's not much in the way of draftees that the Avs have that could be used to furnish a full AHL club...was one of the main sticking points with Hershey that saw that relationship come to an end)....

Spot on with Florida...I've heard the same talk for a while now in regards to that.

Edmonton was the surprise one...the Runners drew well at Rexall last season, but I guess the Oilers brass wanted to have a WHL team in town instead....right now, the Oil are sending their youngins to Hamilton, just like the old days.

That's what I thought I said about Cinci. They already had a franchise and would hook up with C-bus.

Edmonton pulled the Road Runners because they were pretty sure a CBA would be signed. They were right.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

CHL because I can check out their games for relatively cheap and the atmosphere for the Colorado Eagles is fantastic.

Though I do cheer for the Bridgeport Soundtigers and follow the AHL, as Bridgeport is my place of birth.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived