Is it just me?

Ramirez#24

I'm not mocking Mockba... :P

Seriously.. i love that logo, and when they went to these retro-style jerseys, and they sharpened the logo and removed the red, it just became perfection.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all about modernizing outdated looks, but there is a difference between passe and classic.

I think the Wings should do what the Rangers did... keep the old school primarily, but introduce a bitchin' third jersey. That way you don't compromise the tradition, but you have a more marketable jersey that brings the team, if only occasionaly, into the 21st century.

Thankfully someone else brought the idea of a musical note with a wing rather than a flag to the team's ownership and it was immediately adopted as the Blues' logo.

Actually, they're still flags.  That there's a sixth-fourth note.  (Yeah, try and play that.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Note by note calls it a flying note I believe. In some way it implies its a wing. But I don't care what it was, it is now the beautiful Bluenote.

And I don't think the Canadiens should do much to their look either. Because it looks good. It gets points for being around forever, but the final approval comes from it looking good.

I've stated the white jerseys of the Red Wings are ok, cuz the sleeves give it contrast, though I don't like them much at all. However, the red jerseys have nothing. Nothing at all. They all get points for being around forever, but they, or at least the red jersey, get nothing when it comes to a final approval, because they just don't look good.

I feel especially sorry for Red Wings fans who now have to go see their team play in red every game.

Maybe a third jersey with some black or grey, but I wouldn't touch "tradition" ,  Boston, Montreal, Chicago, and Detroit need nothing done (though Boston & Chicago have in the past).  IMO - sometimes you leave things as is.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Third jerseys blow. ALl of them. Get them out of sports, there is no need for them. Keep then only as fasion jerseys in stores, but for christs sake keep 'em off the playing surface.

I love the Red Wings red jerseys. I like them even more than the whites. It is one of the greatest jerseys of all time. If it wasn't, it wouldn't still be around. Just because it's old dosn't mean it sucks.

sB9ijEj.png

Third jerseys blow. ALl of them. Get them out of sports, there is no need for them. Keep then only as fasion jerseys in stores, but for christs sake keep 'em off the playing surface.

Any particular reason? Man, I look at some third jerseys, like the Rangers, Avalanche, Senators, Maple Leafs, etc., and love how much depth they add to the teams identity. As someone who loves logos and uniforms, I appreciate how teams can take the opportunity to do something special and innovative with those.

And that's fine.. But keep it off the Ice/Field/Court.

It's just.. too much, i mean.. How many different uniforms did the Grizzlies have when they were in Vancouver? How many different NFL uniform combinations did we see last year? And there is only going to be more...

It's too much, and it's getting out of control. Have a home uniform, have a road uniform, and just keep it at that. I applaud the Devils and the Red Wings for not jumping into this third jersey crap. The Yankees, Canadiens, Tigers, Braves, Celtics... the teams with history, tradition, and above all CLASS, know that all third jerseys could do is cheapen their image, so they don't delve into them.

The problem is that uniforms have become... well... not uniform. The name uniform, Uni = one. Have one home jersey, one road. Keep it simple, stupid.

sB9ijEj.png

I like the white jersey they have.  The contrasting sleeves is perfect for a single color team.

The red one is a little boring, but then again, there can't seem to be much ado about nothing.  Maybe if they tried a contrasting white sleeve and a white collar. Add a red stripe where the white stripe normally is, add one more white stripe below it, and then a red cuff.  (I'm not a big fan of white cuffs unless a majority of the rest of the sleeve is not white, like the Leafs blue jerseys or the Pens black jerseys.)

Come to think of it, haven't the Red Wings had the same uniforms since 1956?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I think with a team as oild and traditional as the Red Wings they are gonna need to be careful, any change would have to consider the traditions. The city of Detroit has been through 1 mangling of tradition as far as unis go, when the Pistons went for that turquoise number, but I don't believe a decent update is impossible for them!

Also I'd just like to join in with STL fanatic in saying that alternate unis are a cool thing! If thirds didnt exist, I reckon you would get far more teams hacking up there tradition every few years for a new uniform they can sell! At least a third means they can play about with that and leave the traditions alone. And they have to wear the alternates in games coz fans wanna wear what the team wears!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

And they have to wear the alternates in games coz fans wanna wear what the team wears!

So if a team decides to wear pink, ya think there will a mad rush to the sports store or the Pottery Barn?

*Slowly walking away..... then runs fast to avoid the incoming vase*

I hear Gary Coleman is running for Governor of California....

What will be his platform? ...... about 2 feet tall!  :laugh:

*Keeps on running.....*

I saw, I came, I left.

And they have to wear the alternates in games coz fans wanna wear what the team wears!

So if a team decides to wear pink, ya think there will a mad rush to the sports store or the Pottery Barn?

I know its a joke, but thats kinda my point! As people who are interested in uniform design, surely we want designers to be a little bit imaginative, but within the confines of a teams history! Its much easier to market an image that a team will ocassionally play in rather than one that just hangs up in sports shops! And however outlandish that design might seem, at least the designer is trying something, rather than just slapping a teams colors into some manufacturers melting point and coming up with that years standard look! And teams do occasionally develop hip new looks from popular alternates! (Ok so fans also get to laugh out loud at what there team is wearing! But thats one of the points of design surely! some things look good to one person and moronic to the rest of the worlds population!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

well juventus is breaking out a light pink, as we discussed a few weeks ago.  juve fans are probably going to snap em up just cus they're juve shirts.  then again, different continent, different attitudes about certain things (like pink and being on an athletic field of some sort).

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

And yet JQK, I bet within 5-10 years, half of those teams will have them...

I happen to like the idea of thirds.

STL, I bet the Devils and the Yankees don't. Lou Lamoriello the Devils GM and President has said as long as he is in charge the Devils won't have a 3rd jersey. He fells the team dosn't look professional that way. Same thing with the Yankees, Steinbrenner feels the same way, he too wants the team to look professional. As long as these 2 are in charge the Devils and Yankees won't have 3rd jerseys.

Archived