NHL Schedule

OnWis97

In the NBA, teams from opposite conferences play each other twice, once at home and once on the road.

I guess I thought it was like this in the NHL. But I just looked at the Wild's schedule and this is not the case:

No Home Games vs. New Jersey, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philidelphia, Pittsburgh.

No Trips to Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, Toronto.

No Home OR Road vs. Carolina, Florida, Washington.

Then of course, they have up to 8 games with division rivals.

I understand that they like to create rivalries, but I like the idea of playing everyone at least twice in a hideously long season. I'd rather see the Wild play Colorado 6 or 7 times and get everyone else as opposed to play them 8 times and miss some teams.

That would bother me even more if I were a season ticket holder. 41 home games for who knows how much money and no getting to see Sidney Crosby?

Maybe I am alone, but I don't like it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It's also to cut down on travel cost, especailly for the Eastern Conference teams. Take the Devils for example they can take a road trip and play 3 out of the other 4 teams in the division and not have to pay for a plane nor do they have to pay for hotels. They can go play at Philly and the players can be at there home sleeping that night. Not only does it cut down on travel cost, but the more division games the more sellouts a team will probably have. The Mighty Ducks versus the Islanders isn't a big draw but the Rangers versus the Islanders is.

It used to be the same as the NBA but they changed the schedule format this year. I like it.

They may be creating a format more similar to the NFL than traditional 'play everybody' schedules. They want the "hey the Isles are coming to Nashville this year" while strengthening division rivalries. From a fan with passing interest in a non-traditional market this seems like a fine idea with merit.

RobbyBox2.jpg

You know the leagues in trouble when they don't play teams to save money on travel costs.

If its the NFL I understand not playing everyone but you should play everyone at least once and I think at least once on the road and at home.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

You know the leagues in trouble when they don't play teams to save money on travel costs.

If its the NFL I understand not playing everyone but you should play everyone at least once and I think at least once on the road and at home.

Well, it not only to cut travel cost it's also to boost attendance.

I understand that they like to create rivalries, but I like the idea of playing everyone at least twice in a hideously long season.

There's a sport with an even longer more hideous schedule where MORE than 5 teams don't play each other AT ALL.

It's also to cut down on travel cost, especailly for the Eastern Conference teams.

Because the West is further from the East than the East is from the West?

(Or it's further from New York to LA , than it is from LA to New York)

Or because the Western conference all ready travels more anyway?

(Just checking--but yeah it did have to do with travel costs--but since they play so many games--they should play each team at least once a season...)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Or because the Western conference all ready travels more anyway?

(Just checking--but yeah it did have to do with travel costs--but since they play so many games--they should play each team at least once a season...)

Yes, the West is more spread out than the East. You don't have a division in the West where 4 teams are within driving distance of each other.

I love the new schedule, it will do a lot to build up existing rivalries, and start new ones. 8 games against the Oilers and 'Nucks; I can't wait!

It does put a wrench into out traditional Flames-Habs New Year's game, but at least we will only have to see the Leafs every 3 years. I could care less about not seeing the east coast teams, those games are usually boring and there isn't much buildup before the games.

I understand that they like to create rivalries, but I like the idea of playing everyone at least twice in a hideously long season.

There's a sport with an even longer more hideous schedule where MORE than 5 teams don't play each other AT ALL.

Yeah, but baseball has a tradition of NL and AL not playing (a partially broken tradition).

It looks like i am in the minority, but I guess I just wish everyone played everyone. The Eastern and Western conferences are not the American and National Leagues.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I hate the new schedule because now I might be able to see my team come out to San Jose (or even LA or Anaheim) every 3-4 years instead of at least once a season. See if the NHL gets any of my money this year.

I hate the new schedule because now I might be able to see my team come out to San Jose (or even LA or Anaheim) every 3-4 years instead of at least once a season. See if the NHL gets any of my money this year.

The only thing is that there are that many fans that are like you, and like the teams that are on the other coast. I happene to be a Dodger fan and get to see them once a year when they play the mets at Shea. But there just isnt enough fans like that to be the reason for the NHL not making money.

th_island1-med.gifStanley Cups 1980,1981,1982,1983

th_dodgers1-med.gifWorld Series Titles 1955,1959,1963,1965,1981,1988

th_boys1-med.gifSuper Bowl Titles VI,XII,XXVII,XXVIII,XXXth_jet2-med.gifSuper Bowl Title III

th_ny1-med.gifth_norangers-med.gif

newyorkislanders.gif

I'm confused with the NHL's logic. They want competitive balance, yet no team will play all 29 teams. It's going to get boring seeing Carolina, Florida, and Washington play 4 times each in Philips....

If the league truly wants competitive balance, each East team should play 1 home and 1 away game vs. the West teams. In their situation of needing to boost attendance, they needed to keep in mind all 30 teams' interests, and not how many times cross-town and cross-state/province teams play. I want to see the Red Wings, the Avalanche, the Stars, the Flames, and the Predators every season, not once every three years. Fans like variety, not the same ol' horse riding to town every other weekend.

Sometimes I wonder if Bettman's logic is the same as Selig's.....

What I don't like about it is that the Eastern Canadian teams (MON, OTT, TOR) and the Western Canadian teams (CGY, EDM, VAN) will never play home and home anymore!

For example, the Leafs and Habs always, always came to Edmonton each year because of the high fanbase across all of Canada for these two clubs. While this might still happen, (like for this season it will), the Oilers will not return the favor and play in Toronto or Montreal! The Canadian teams have ALWAYS played each other more frequently in the past.

In Edmonton, no one wants to see Florida, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Washington, and Atlanta! They want to see Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Boston, and Buffalo EVERY YEAR!

Archived