Rafael Palmeiro violates drug policy

ROCHitman

Hopefully Palmeiro just lost his first ballot election

I think this is the likely scenario, much like Mark McGwire. I'm hoping one day the writers will conspire to allow Bonds, McGwire, and Palmero to enter the hall together. ^_^ The steroid class!

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I heard the news of Palmeiro's test result, I was shocked. I am a Palmeiro fan and I think he is arguable the most underrated player in the game. Before today, he was the subject of debate for possible enterance into the Hall of Fame. The fact that it is even questioned is ludicrous to me. 3,000 hits OR 500 HRs virtually guarantee admittance. But the fact that he has done both should speak volumes of his consistency over the years. In my opinion, Hall of Fame voting is flawed to an extent because you need to be a superstar to get in. Raffy is not a superstar to the media, or even at large and so the question remains. With this suspension, regardless of his guilt or innocence, his career is put into question. Which severely limits his chances of going to Cooperstown.

On the subject of steroids, it is a scourge that must be erradicated from the most sacred of all American games. I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but this thought crossed my mind: The steroid scandal spawned the new drug testing policy, which is a step in the right direction. But until now the majority of players found in violation have been minor leaguers or "no-name" big leaguers. Of the alleged steroid users, Palmeiro is the safest guy to nail on this because he isn't a superstar. This is mostly a rant that is virtually unfounded but it popped in my mind and I thought to relay it here.

I have also made up my mind about Bonds. I think he did. Looking at all the weight he's put on suggests that too me. I hope I am wrong about this and that Canseco is just a coot trying to get money by spreading lies. But if at some level it is true, it casts a shadow on some players' careers. With all the doubt among the sluggers, I think it brings more legitmacy to Roger Maris' 61 in '61. He truly belongs in Cooperstown. This is a sad day for baseball.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

But the fact that he has done both should speak volumes of his consistency over the years.  In my opinion, Hall of Fame voting is flawed to an extent because you need to be a superstar to get in.

Well it's called the Hall of Fame. Fame is short for Famous. When I think of the word famous I think of a superstar.

But the fact that he has done both should speak volumes of his consistency over the years.  In my opinion, Hall of Fame voting is flawed to an extent because you need to be a superstar to get in.

Well it's called the Hall of Fame. Fame is short for Famous. When I think of the word famous I think of a superstar.

So Canseco belongs?! He was a baseball icon in his day.

6uXNWAo.png

So Canseco belongs?! He was a baseball icon in his day.

No, you have to have the numbers also. The numbers are basic, then the stuff like how dominant you are come into play. Raffy doesn't have the dominance. You can make a case that he's never been the best player on his his team at any point of his career. He's never been an MVP, he only has made a few All-Star teams. Before he was a borderline Hall Of Famer in my mind. Now in light of this he's not. Without steriods he probably doesn't get those numbers.

That is the point exactly. Without the steroids maybe he is Dwight Evans. Is he better than McGriff? Better than Frank Thomas? Better than Mattingly? We will never know. All he has are the numbers and the numbers are in doubt now.

A good player for a long time. Who maybe owes his longevity to artficial supplements.

this is a real detriment to him. he lied to congress.....baseball should look into a more severe punishment. whether you like it or not steriods is cheating! plain and simple. i say kick him out of baseball

Did you think sometimes that there are Congress' politicians that lie everyday because that's their lifestyle?

Lying to liars... Nah! :D

Bleujayone

Makes you wonder who else is full of bull$#!+

Then again considering he's only going to get a 10-day vacation, it hardly seems like much of a punishment. Kenny Rogers is getting worse for laying out a cameraman.

Think about how Baltimore needs him alots. The O's need Raffy specially now when they once the AL East leader, now are fighting badly for the wild card.

marlinfan

QUOTE (quadival @ Monday, August 1st, 2005 - 13:02:50)

hmmmm.... I wonder if he will go to jail because of his statement "I have never used steroids. Period.".....

Bill Clinton got off for lying under oath. Raffy should get the same treatment.

My god!!! An US president in the same level than a ballplayer!!! :D

-----------------

Well, well... if Bonds and Palmeiro must go to the HOF... well, hell, let's enter Shoeless Jackson to the HOF!

At least Jackson had excellent numbers (HOF caliber) and there is enough stuff to believe him without real intention of throwing away the 1919 WS.

So stop hypocresy about Shoeless Jackson, please.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

If I had a vote there would be no way in hell Palmeiro would ever get into Cooperstown. If Roger Maris, who some claim is still baseball's single season home run King, is not in the hall, why should Palmeiro make it when he cheated. He's now saying he did not knowingly take them. Beats me as to how a baseball superstar would take a drug that was not prescribed and not think of the possible consequences on his career and his reputation. Well, that's just my opinion and I have lost a lot of respect for a player I once rooted for.

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

What about his lame excuse he does not know how it got in his body seesh what  joke I like to see the congress charge his ass for pujury.

On Sportscenter they said he will not be charged with perjury because he was not caught until after he testified. I'm sure he wasn't taking them then either <_< .

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

Well, unfortunatly perjury is something that is hard to prove. You just can't charge him because of this because the test was taken after March 17th. If they charged him as it stands now he would win and that means you can't charge him again if something else comes out. I'm sure some one in the gevernment is looking into this matter, however I don't think charges will come because it's hard to prove beyond a resonable doubt.

Today's word for the day; "intentionally" Tomorrow's word; "unintentionally"

Palmeiro: ``I have never intentionally used steroids''

August 1, 2005

Rafael Palmeiro's opening statement during a conference call following his 10-day suspension for a positive steroids test:

I am here to make it very clear that I have never intentionally used steroids. Never. Ever. Period. When I found out that I had failed a test under the new drug policy, I filed a grievance and challenged the suspension on the basis that I had never intentionally taken a banned substance. Ultimately, although I never intentionally put a banned substance into my body, the independent arbitrator ruled that I had to be suspended under the terms of the program.

I am sure you will ask how I tested positive for a banned substance. As I look back, I don't have a specific answer to give. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to explain to the arbitrator how the banned substance entered my body. The arbitrator did not find that I used a banned substance intentionally -- in fact, he said he found my testimony to be compelling -- but he ruled that I could not meet the heavy burden imposed on players who test positive under the new drug policy.

I accept this punishment and want to address it publicly. I want to apologize to Major League Baseball, the Baltimore Orioles organization, my teammates and most of all, my fans. Given my role with the No Tolerance Committee and my relationships with Congress, I feel the need to communicate a serious message to my fellow players and to kids everywhere. All of us have to be responsible and exercise extreme care in what we put in our bodies. I hope that all major league baseball players and kids will learn from what has happened to me. I have never intentionally used a banned substance, but unfortunately was not careful enough.

I take my role as a professional athlete seriously. I love baseball and have great respect for all of the players who played before me. I have always done my best to live each day in ways that would make my family proud. Everything I have accomplished is the result of hard work and dedication to being the best possible player I can be.

I feel terrible that this has happened, but I think there is something to be gained from it. If my situation results in the education of current and future players about the dangers of taking anything without a prescription from a licensed physician, that is a positive. At the end of the day, it is important for all players to understand the risk of contamination and to be very careful about what they put in their body.

This suspension is going to be incredibly difficult for me, my wife and my two boys. Over the next week and a half, I am going to spend time with my family. I am going to come back and will be as determined as ever to help the Orioles get back to the pennant race. We have worked very hard to be in position to bring our fans a title, and I will not let this be a distraction.

Finally, I would like to thank commissioner Selig and Mr. Angelos for their strong words of encouragement. I had the opportunity to speak with both of them and I am extremely appreciative of their support and friendship.

Yeah, yeah. "I have NO idea how that stuff got in me." Yeah, that's the ticket. "I never intentionally took anything illegal. If I did do something illegal I didn't intentionally know about it." Can you imagine if you ever heard those excuses on an episode of "COPS"? Oh wait, we have, and it sounded totally lame then too.

So what is he saying? It was an accident? Did Barry Bonds play a prank on him and replace his half & half with BALCO creme? Apparently many major league players are far too trusting and will take anything without knowing what it is first. Does anyone know if any player in the majors swallowed a fistful of marbles? A diamond earing? A stack of quarters? :cursing: Hmm...does that mean someone can take out the team of their choice by feeding them rat poison? I think we could all have fun picking apart this sad excuse of a statement. Have at it guys.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Archived